Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• Lambyr
    Lambyr Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £200? Ouch! Sorry to hear that :(

You're all right about that thread. I read it and just did my best Dr Evil "Riiiiiiigh-t" impression.

I can be very juvenile at times but I do find Internet forums make me feel so very mature at times :D
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lambyr wrote: »
    £200? Ouch! Sorry to hear that :(

You're all right about that thread. I read it and just did my best Dr Evil "Riiiiiiigh-t" impression.

I can be very juvenile at times but I do find Internet forums make me feel so very mature at times :D

I'm sure someone is doing it, or has done it, but the psychology of forums would make a very interesting psychology research project. Doctorate, anyone? :D

You know, exploring the differences between how people might act on a forum and in real life. This sort of forum would be ideal, as it's not a pervy one, nor an extreme one.
    For example, people that are habitually aggressive on a forum, are they like that in real life, or do they use the forum to bring out their frustrations with their own inadequacies/shortcomings? Etc. etc. etc. :D

I'm sure there would be lots of other facets to explore, too.

As far as I'm concerned, there is one big, big difference. I am much, much better at explaining things on 'paper', than when I am speaking, even if I have prepared what I want to say in my head, so when I speak, it can come out rather garbled, and with important omissions. That's the ADHD in part, as my mouth races ahead of my brain. When I remember to, I try to speak much more slowly, and that does improve it a bit, but I rarely remember, and it's very difficult to rein in. When writing or typing, there is more control, and the opportunity to erase, rephrase and edit, etc.
    So I'd probably come across as a bit of an idiot in real life! Hahahahahahaha!

Of course my virtual self is also a paragon of beauty and poise! :rotfl: ;)

Let's explore this idea..............what are the biggest differences between your virtual self and your real self? (Not breaching privacy aspects, obviously!)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    The main difference for me is that I'm not a little blue penguin in real life....which honestly, is a real disappointment :)
  • Pyxis
    Options
    tea_lover wrote: »
    The main difference for me is that I'm not a little blue penguin in real life....which honestly, is a real disappointment :)

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!

crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif

I'm really upset, now! crying.gif
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Georgiegirl256
    Options
    And I am not a Spanish King Prawn! :rotfl:

I think I'm more or less the same both on here and in real life. I say what I think and am not afraid to stand up for myself and put my point of view across where needed. I think on here though, because you don't really "know" people, you can be abit blunter, a bit more "telling it like it is", whereas in real life, I do tend to reign it in abit as it's different talking to someone face to face and I don't want to hurt their feelings, so I do try and be abit more diplomatic, although I am a firm believer in telling the truth and not !!!!!footing around things.

But obviously, you've got to remember that people behind a screen have feelings too, and I like to think I can be kind, caring and helpful, and I'm like that in real life too, if I can help anyone out then I will.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I'm basically the same on here as in person. The only difference that occurs to me is that I will contribute more to a conversation on a forum because in a group of people around a table I wait for silence before attempting to speak, where many will start talking before another finishes, meaning I end up saying almost nothing.

Consequently when meeting in person I tend to prefer with one or at most two other people than a whole big crowd of five or so. because in the former case I will actually talk ( though if I have some alcohol my reserve about talking over people abates and I say more :p ).
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pyxis
    Options
    I've just spent most of the day reading that thread about the house sale, and starting on the Great Dane thread.

Oops.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    Options
    Only 29 hours to POLDARK TIME! :j
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Waves_and_Smiles
    Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 September 2016 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Interesting question, Pyxis! I am, of course a small sloth sitting in someones pocket. :rotfl:

My personality is pretty much identical, maybe a little bubblier with darker humour at times. I laugh a lot and I'm a huge nerd. My speech can be quite different to my writing because 20 years of antispychotics and psychosis have caused some cognitive problems so I can stumble over words or forget whole sentences that I want to say. The words are there in my head which is why I can write, they just don't always come out of my mouth in any way that makes sense even to me. Amusingly, I keep a notepad next to me and sometimes hand notes across the room to WaSp saying something as simple as put the kettle on. The sentence is right there in my head, I just lose the ability to string it together verbally.

I am much more shy but that's tied into the whole psychoisis thing of being seen, I just presume if someone can see me they immediately think how ugly/stupid/pointless/generally vile I am so I get nervous and can be all awkward sometimes. Otherwise I am exactly the same though, very laid-back and slow to anger most of the time, deeply analytical and self-aware and all the opinions I have on here I still hold and talk about face to face.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Only 29 hours to POLDARK TIME! :j

Usually my type is very much dark long(longish) hair, but I just don't see the appeal in him? Well I didn't until I saw a topless pic, and I was "hello!"....maybe I could just cover his head with a bag or something! :p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback