It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Good morning,

A lovely weekend, I must say.

On Friday night my friend and I went to a driving range (£4.70) and then tried a local buffet (£13). We walked in an we were the only people there!! This worried me as the buffet was out and ready, so how long had all this food been sitting out? To be fair, they did ask if we had any favourites and they'd make them fresh so we essentially had a fresh curry and a pizza.

Saturday was great. I had zero plans and the day to myself so I managed to get a good few things done. We were to go to my cousins for a lovely dinner so we brought them a bottle of fizz and my GF took a bottle of rose while I took the car (£16). We had a great night and proved much cheaper than the night out that we originally planned.

Sunday was a chilled out day and a NSD. I made a Kinder cake with my GF's niece which was really nice. Resisted and only had 1 slice. Back to the grind today and will be looking to get a good few NSD's and meet my target. I have no plans this week, at all, according to my diary so lets see how that changes...
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Buffet with curry and pizza? How interesting, at least they made fresh things for you. I do worry about those places you see with the stuff piled high from 11am in the morning - have been to a chinese version once and won't be going back there but I may have just been unlucky.
    Only a couple more weeks of your old job - hope it goes quickly.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£465.00 (93%)    Fn £400                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£404.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£085.00 (18%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£070.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£086.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Yep. 1 week tomorrow is my last day, followed by 2 days off then I fly to Malaga for a week - so lots to look forward to.

As I've mentioned before, my workload is slowly decreasing by the day and I like to be kept on my toes, goes in faster that way.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Yesterday was another NSD, and today looks like it'll be the same which is good. In fact, as a write this I remember I need oil for my car. Damn!

Things have improved so much with my finances lately that I didn't even realise I get paid in 2 days! I remember I used to count down the days like it was Christmas!

I was listening to a YNAB podcast yesterday all about outsourcing. The point he makes is a good one and I'll use it when describing YNAB and why I use it. Jesse (the owner of the company), said that he has a personal trainer who helps him with his workouts and his nutrition. He just listens to whatever the expert says and does it. He outsources expert knowledge. So why not apply that to your finances and use YNAB? They're the experts and it only costs £4 a month.

I thought that was quite a good analogy.

Anyway. It's all good here on the SpekySquarehead front. Check back soon.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    I like that analogy Speky and it makes a lot of sense. I've tried a couple of times with YNAB and just can't seem to get on with it at all...
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    CCL - I feel it's all I talk about now. Both her on the forum and in person to my friends and family. I'd be happy to help in anyway that I can to get you up and running. PM me if you wish.

Yesterday was a spend day. My car was making noises that didn't sound too clever to I checked the oil and the dipstick said I had zero! So I urgently went to Halfords and bought some. While I was out I also got petrol, cleaned the car and I went to tesco later in the evening.

After work yesterday I went to the gym and home for haggis, neeps and tatties and it was delish. Been a while since I'd had it. I then had an early night and was probably snoozing for 10.30pm.

Up early today to go to the gym and I swam for quite a while. The plan is to go again once I finish work, this time to do some weights as opposed to cardio. I'll get my NSD today which I'll be pleased about.

Work will be interesting today as my boss is going to hand her notice in and given that I handed mine in 2 weeks ago, I think there will be some turmoil. The joys.

I'll check back in tomorrow.. Happy hump day!
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do we need to start handing out flak jackets and helmets? Hope today was ok.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£465.00 (93%)    Fn £400                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£404.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£085.00 (18%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£070.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£086.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• Lucyjaynecummings
    Options
    Hi Speky, I've just read through your diary and its really encouraged me to talk to my OH about my debt (he has none so it was a hard convo) and also set up YNAB. I used to run spreadsheets but didn't constantly reconcile my months spending to my budget, so I hope this will make me do that. Keep up the good work.
    LJ
    Total debt £15,110 :eek:
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Joey - I fear as much. Fortunately there's been various meetings which has kept me away from the drama, for now.

Lucy - Hello and thanks for stopping by. Glad it's had an influence. I was fearsome of telling my other half about my debt in the chance that she'd lose interest because her last boyfriend has more money than I and would frequently give her luxurious gifts, so I thought I had standards to meet. But he was an ex for a reason and as someone pointed out, if she lost interested because I can't afford to buy her nice things every fortnight, then she's not the one.

When I told her she was more upset that I hadn't told her earlier and as with most things, I think the sooner it's out in the open the better.

YNAB has a free trial which will informally talk you through the steps needed to set it up and get going and I hope it's as successful for you as it has been for me.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speky I'm so happy that things are working out for you. Do you start your new job after your holiday?

I too am a YNAB convert. I still have no money left at the end of the month and in some ways I feel that maybe it isn't working for me but then I remember that I have no overdraft now, I've added to my savings and I've managed to pay off some of my CC every month and paid for plumbing work whilst staying in budget and in the black. September will only be my second month using YNAB properly so I'm hoping things continue to improve.

My OH knows I'm watching what I spend and he's on board with cost cutting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback