It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done Speky! Sounds like everything is ticking along nicely!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning,

Yesterday’s dinner was pizza and pasta at my GF’s sisters, so I managed another NSD!!!

Today however won’t be. With it being a Thursday, it’s FIFA night and my turn to cook, so I need to visit a SM and get ingredients together. I’ll also use this spend day to maximum advantage and purchase;

- Holiday money using MSE’s guide to get the best rate
    - Travel insurance for £9
    - Buy some books to read on holiday (used)
    - An xmas present for my step-dad
    - Have a look at the sales for some new bits of holiday clothes.

So it’ll for sure be a spend day but it’s all planned and thought out to make sure it’s as cheap as possible. I really have changed in the last year or so.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Yesterday was a super productive day. It was going to be a spend day so I looked over my list of things to do and made the most of it.

- I bought half my holiday money which I’ll collect on Saturday. Although MSE recommends taking a card, I’ve just been put off cards and I don’t want another one and for the sake of 4 euros, cash will be fine.
    - Sorted travel insurance, £5.
    - Bought 2 used books for reading on said holiday, £11 in total delivered.
    - 2 Christmas presents. 1 for my step-dad, an engraved torch (his favourite thing) £55 and also toys for the dogs, £2.
    - Some clothes in the ASOS sale. £23 for a pair of shoes, swimming trunks and vest.

So a bit of a spendy day but it was all planned, budgeted and controlled.

The GF wants to go to C*stco tonight to buy some things in bulk but I don’t need anything so will hold back from buying and aim for NSD. Tomorrow I know will be a spend day though as I get a haircut and do some bits and bobs.

My holiday is 3 weeks today, so I’m going to something I’ve never done before and pack early, hopefully this weekend, that way I’ll be able to check I’ve got all I need while still having time to get things if needed. Jings. It’s things like that which emphasize the silver lining of being in debt, these small changes that’ll last a life time. Rest assured I won’t go back to the way I was as soon as I’ve paid this off. Cannot wait.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Good morning,

A spendy weekend unfortunately. I finally got round to getting to a HSBC bank to deposit the money I got for my birthday, so the bank balance looks a bit healthier despite spending.

I shouldn’t, but I do feel a bit guilty about spending over the weekend so I’m aiming for 5 NSD in a row this week until Saturday when we’ve got a night out planned with my cousins.

This morning I’m like a half shut knife so need to get a coffee in me and I’ll start to function.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never heard that expression before - 'half shut knife' - is it Scottish?

Well I've subscribed to YNAB, I'm a total convert. I love it, I really do. I've opted to pay monthly but if I'm still using it after the New Year I shall pay for a year.

I'm convinced it's helped me stay out of my overdraft and helped me out with my recent plumbing problems.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    I'm not sure Louby. A quick google search implies its Scottish but it's origin is hard to find.

I'm glad you enjoy it. I too pay for it monthly which is pennies in comparison to what it's saving me!!! I've managed to convert my GF and my Step-bro too.

Although my goal is to get debt free, I'll continue to use YNAB to save and just manage my finances.

If you asked my GF what she spends a month on petrol she'd have no idea. Whereas I can now tell you within a couple of £'s. There is no harm in being on the ball with your cash.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Popping on to say hi, and you're through to the middle of another week in your old job - and so many days nearer to your new one.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£465.00 (93%)    Fn £400                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£404.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£085.00 (18%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£070.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£086.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Hey Joey,

Thanks for stopping by.

Work have put further limits on what files I get access to etc so I've not got even less work to do. I think they just don't want me to leave the office short staffed and would rather I stayed the full 4 weeks doing zero work than letting me start my new job. Hey-ho. I'll take it as a compliment.

Funnily enough it's an event day today at work so a long shift but they'll cover expenses for food, so another NSD on top of the one yesterday I got.

Spent an hour or so with my GF in teaching her how to use YNAB so it'll be good to see her happy that she's in control again.

My Kon Marie book arrived which will provide as reading for my holiday on 2nd September, looking forward to it and hopefully it'll be a life long habit of being a minimalist.

Not much else to report for now, have a nice day everyone :)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Can you not sneak your book into work? Give you something to do during the day... :p
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    I probably could CCL, a nice idea. No doubt they'll find some meaningless task for me if it was that obvious that I had free time.

Also, late last night my boss told me she too is leaving!! Given that it's only us 2 in this department, things are really going downwards for the business and they'll be panicking.

Anyhooooo, got my NSD yesterday and I'm hoping for the same today. I've brought my shakes with me but with it being a long day yesterday I didn't have much of a filling and healthy dinner so I'm really hungry this morning. Going to try and power through as I could manage a night in tonight and get another NSD today.

Tomorrow I'm going to my cousins for dinner, we'll take a bottle of wine or something so although it'll be a spend day it should be minimum.

Not too sure what Sunday will entail just yet but as ever, I hope it's minimal spend.

Have a nice day all :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure