Children are so expensive! Why do we have them?

Options

Comments

• spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Options
    Our school shoes came from Clarks too - £74 for 2 pairs :eek:

Last year they had cheap shoes, and they didnt last the first half term.
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • yellowmonkey
    Options
    Hope so. I have invested 4 times so i'm due some payback:rotfl:

ym
  • yellowmonkey
    Options
    spud30 wrote: »
    Our school shoes came from Clarks too - £74 for 2 pairs :eek:

Last year they had cheap shoes, and they didnt last the first half term.

Clarkes for me for the kids. They do last longer compared to the cheaper shoes.

ym
  • TAG
    TAG Posts: 2,823 Forumite
    Options
    DS's uniform has cost me £107 :mad: so far and I still need to get shoes and a rugby shirt so that'll be another £50 or so. :eek: He won't be getting a coat this year as the brand new one we bought last year is still' brand new' in his wardrobe. Apparently it's more 'cool' to turn up at school either soaking wet or frozen to death.:rolleyes:

DD is much cheaper. Have bought all hers at Asda for £20. But her shoes cost more than her whole uniform.:rolleyes:

So all's well till next year when we have to do it all over again. :j NOT!!
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    Options
    :eek: My daughter's school have changed their uniform slightly and the grace period where you could get away with the old one is over, so we had to get a new tie and a new "school badge" sweat shirt, plus she's grown a lot since last September and she needed trousers, school blouses, socks, bras, PE kit, trainers and school shoes.

I spread it all out over the last 3 months or so -and spent a lot of time panicking furiously about what if she out-grows it all before she goes back to school?? :eek:

Nightmare. :eek:

Love Jacks xxx :D
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • yellowmonkey
    Options
    Do you not agree that school uniforms are good. They all look nice and gives them a sense of belonging. Got to put youngest DD (4) in school uniform on thursday for the first time. Will take obligatory photo and no doubt hold back a tear as she wanders off for her first day.

ym
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know that my parents moaned about the cost of school shoes and uniforms - my mum used to pay for the shoes from her Co-op 'divi'.
    We moaned about the cost of our kids' school clothes, and I have no doubt that they, too, will moan about the cost of their children's school clothes.

Would you change anything? :confused:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • amani_2
    amani_2 Posts: 604 Forumite
    Options
    TAG Thanks forgot about the rugby shirts thats another £40, that can wait a month or so yet.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    TAG wrote: »
    He won't be getting a coat this year as the brand new one we bought last year is still' brand new' in his wardrobe. Apparently it's more 'cool' to turn up at school either soaking wet or frozen to death.:rolleyes:

quote]
    My DS is exactly the same! We delayed buying him a coat and I'm glad we did as none of the kids wear them anyway! He won't wear a jumper either so wears a thin blazer and shirt all year round, rain or shine!:rolleyes:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with you Tag, my son won't wear a coat. I wouldn't dream of buying 'cheap' shoes cause they cost more in the long run. Clarks will last the whole school year and with regular polishing, will still look good so they end up being cheaper in the long run.

:j :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family