PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Options

Comments

• Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    AlexLuna wrote: »
    Oh blimey, you must have the patience of a saint. Fingers crossed for you!

We're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place but now seriously considering other options if they don't complete next week.
  • VultureDodger
    Options
    May I stick a toe into this fabulous little club, please? We haven't yet started the ball rolling on our purchase, as the plots are still a few months off being released. We've got our eye on a bed David Wilson home in Telford (Hi Baxt3r! I noticed that you were local!) In the meantime we're in the throws of preparing our property for sale and I'm desperately trying to research the in's and out's of purchasing a new build property and trying to ensure that we get a good deal, as this will be our forever home... which is how I came across this thread!

I realise that it's not in the spirit of this board Would it be okay if I asked you guys some questions? I promise to not make a nuisance of myself (okay, I'll at leasttry not to)

Huge thanks
  • Derboy
    edited 4 June 2016 at 8:10AM
    Options
    Would it be okay if I asked you guys some questions? I promise to not make a nuisance of myself (okay, I'll at leasttry not to)

Huge thanks

Of course it is. That's exactly what the board is for. Ask away!

We finally got some good news yesterday. Ever since March, on the Friday before we've been due to complete we've had a call to say that the completion date has been delayed. With our latest date being next Friday I was nervously awaiting to see what the builder would say this time, but we got the call to say that we're definitely on for next Friday. So hopefully this saga will finally come to an end!

We've been in a rental for nearly 8 months when it was originally meant to be 3 (reserved July 15) Kinda feel that our life has been on hold for all that time and most of our stuff has been in boxes. We got into the house on Thursday for a look around and it was all go. They're definitely against the clock to complete next week, so although I wasn't going to bother, I've book a snagging survey to make sure that they've not cut corners to get finished in time.

Finally allowing myself to feel (cautiously) excited. :beer:
  • MissusP_2
    MissusP_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all I'd like to join in too! We reserved a beautiful Barratt place in mid April in Leicestershire. It's off plan so apparently will be ready in September, they've just started to put walls up and we've got a driveway! Barratt have given us £3800 towards flooring.

We're currently selling our house and hoping to complete on that in the next few weeks and then go into rented while we wait for the house to be built. The deadline for exchanging has already passed but Barratt have been fine about it as they know we've been waiting on mortgage offer which has taken a little bit longer as we're porting our current product. Also need to exchange on current sale before we can exchange with them! Here's a timeline anyway:

Feb 16 - saw show home
    20/04 - plot we wanted was released - paid reservation deposit & instructed solicitors. Spoke with mortgage broker
    11/05 - mortgage application submitted to NatWest
    26/05 - valuation carried out
    03/06 - mortgage offer due either today or Monday according to broker

Considering they push to exchange quickly we haven't had any draft contracts through to sign as yet! We've chosen flooring and kitchen and bathrooms already. Need to meet and check a few things though such as whether bathroom mirrors are included etc. All very exciting!
  • AlexLuna
    AlexLuna Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Derboy wrote: »
    Of course it is. That's exactly what the board is for. Ask away!

We finally got some good news yesterday. Ever since March, on the Friday before we've been due to complete we've had a call to say that the completion date has been delayed. With our latest date being next Friday I was nervously awaiting to see what the builder would say this time, but we got the call to say that we're definitely on for next Friday. So hopefully this saga will finally come to an end!

We've been in a rental for nearly 8 months when it was originally meant to be 3 (reserved July 15) Kinda feel that our life has been on hold for all that time and most of our stuff has been in boxes. We got into the house on Thursday for a look around and it was all go. They're definitely against the clock to complete next week, so although I wasn't going to bother, I've book a snagging survey to make sure that they've not cut corners to get finished in time.

Finally allowing myself to feel (cautiously) excited. :beer:

Really pleased for you, cant imagine how frustrating it must all have been. Hopefully there aren't too many snags. I think they will be rushing ours too to be ready for 30th, but we aren't going to get a snagger, just dont have the budget for it. Will give it a good go ourselves with a snagging checklist offline.

Just had the letter through from the solicitor about completion on the 30th. Getting exciting now. Cant wait to hear how it all goes and what it is like when people are actually in their homes!
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    I've just been to pay off the outstanding balance on my extras. Had a really good chat with the sales team at the develpopment. Good news is they're predicting a completion date for the end of next month, not long to go now! Unfortunately it's still while I'm overseas but at least it's getting closer! Been back with my parents for almost a month now while they finish building. No major issues but really glad to see things progressing and getting back to being under my own roof again.

Derboy - Really glad it sounds like you're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't imagine how I'd find the level of delays you've had. Suspect I'd be screaming mad by now!

Haylescom - Gotta love village life, I'm back in the village I grew up in and it's great to be back, just a shame I can't afford to buy in a village. Pubs are definitely a great feature of the lifestyle.
  • VultureDodger
    Options
    Thank you, Derboy, that's SO kind of you :)

Can I ask everyone their opinions on using the builder's MoveMaker type schemes, where they pay your estate agent fees? We're considering using David Wilson's scheme, but I'm wondering if we would have more bargaining power if we were to sell it independently, or would we have priority on our chosen plot by using the scheme?...

What are your thoughts? Did you use it? Was it worth it?
  • chlo88
    chlo88 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to those that have joined us! @Derboy wahoo finally really happy for you, the wait will have been worth it when your finally in.
    @haylescomm really glad to see your settling in well, thanks for the tips, the Internet bit sounds like a nightmare hope you get it sorted quickly. @alexluna how exciting you've got a firm completion date! @vulturedoger sorry we didn't use that scheme so can't offer any help but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.

So an update from us: well the wait is really dragging now, feel like the days are just getting longer. We went to pay the final balance last weekend off the options and everything was wired in and painted. Driven up today and had a stalk the kitchen is now fitted and doors are on so its pretty much complete barring the floors. We have our demonstration meeting booked in for the 18th. I don't know wether the flooring will be put in after this or before. They're still reckoning to complete on 24th but not had official confirmation yet from solicitors. They still have all of the outside and car park to do though! They are cutting it fine for 3 weeks but I think they'll do it!

I am just so excited! Like a child ha, we've booked 2 weeks annual leave surrounding the move and I start that on 22/6/16 but feel like I'm in holiday mode already! Just wish it was here but still a bit nervous and think I will be until I've got the keys!
  • Derboy
    Options
    Thank you, Derboy, that's SO kind of you :)

Can I ask everyone their opinions on using the builder's MoveMaker type schemes, where they pay your estate agent fees? We're considering using David Wilson's scheme, but I'm wondering if we would have more bargaining power if we were to sell it independently, or would we have priority on our chosen plot by using the scheme?...

What are your thoughts? Did you use it? Was it worth it?

OK. The important thing to remember about any of these schemes is that it pretty much precludes you from negotiating anything else. All of these schemes reduce the builders profit margin on the property by one way or another so you're always better doing it yourself. This depends on the plot itself. If the house is already built with no buyer and depending the time of year, the builder will through everything at you to get you in. If they have some kind of scheme on a specific plot but not on others, it's because they need help to sell that plot. What's the reason for this? Estate agent fees are usually 1% (they might start higher but 1% is the going rate) so how much are you really saving? You could bear that figure in mind when negotiating with the builder on a better plot. "We don't like the MoveMaker plot so we'll go for plot X instead, sell ourself but we'd like you to make up our estate agent fees in options etc)"

For example we were going to buy a new build from Barrat a few years ago. Completion date would have been at Christmas. They offered us stamp duty paid, full price part exchange, cash back after completion, all fees paid. In the end. However I was quite annoyed that the sales office lady knew things about my mortgage application before I did as we were using their affiliated mortgage advisor. In the end the deal feel through. We sat tight and started to make huge over payments to our mortgage a for a few years.

Fast forward to June last year when we were looking again. I was nervous about selling my house myself as I'd never done it before. We looked at a few different developments and started to negotiate. As soon as we started talking about Part-Ex, Help To Buy etc, our negotiating options started to dwindle. Turns out the house we went for was with a smaller regional developer and they won't give us anything at all. They wouldnt even do part-ex. So we did the whole thing ourselves. Got a valuation for our house which came in £5k higher than expected and we sold our property within 2 weeks and even with fees were better off as our purchaser paid over asking.

My advice is:
    • Sell your property yourself
    • Don't use the builders mortgage adviser or estate agent
    • Don't use your estate agent's mortgage adviser either.
    • Basically keep your conveyancer, mortgage adviser, builder and estate agent separate from each other. Never have any of them under one roof.
    • Strike up a friendly relationship with the sales office (I got a few freebies after the deal just because I asked nicely).
    • Be reasonable in your demands. Explain what you want and why you want it.
    • Don't tell the builder everything. Remember you never know what will happen later on and you may want to be able to negotiate later (i.e. like us who have been delayed by nearly six months).
    • Be prepared to walk away.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2016 at 9:29AM
    Options
    Welcome to the new folk.

The render has finally gone on mine, looking great, I finally have a feeling it will be finished in a month or so. Haven't been able to look inside, health and safety and a that lot.

Bit of news I am not so happy with, they are going to do a 5th fase to the development, which had originally been cancelled, but due to the costs of fase 4 spiralling, the builders have decided to continue with fase 5 now to make up for it, means the grass field I was going to have a cross the road will now have 7 houses on it. Not a big issue and I always knew the risk was there, but would have been nice for the dog to run around. I don't mind the houses Bering there, doesn't take away from my house, but it does mean the builders will be on site for another year, clogging up the otherwise very quiet streets with their vans and trucks.

Anyway, movers have been sorted, so my stuff will be in when I'm back from work abroad and they're going to see if they can get a carpenter to put the flatpack I have together for me, so I at least have some furniture ready for use on my return (I have offered to pay for his/her time). Also means I can initially concentrate on blinds/curtains and lighting.

The company doing the flooring is going in 2nd half of August as soon as they are back from their Summer close down, so that also will be in for me.

The sales lady has promised me pics of the inside when kitchen, bathrooms, etc. Go in, so I might have to post some here when I can.

As for me, back to work, flying to Canada on Monday, back at the start of September to get cracking on the house. Left my rental to save money while away, so I'm in housing limbo now. Got my mail redirecting to my sister and spending a few nights at my father's till I go. Didn't think it worth changing address everywhere for the sake of a month, so on paper I still live in my rental with everybody, which I know is cheeky, but should be fine. It's officially still my tenancy till the end of the month and all mail is getting redirected, so it won't do any harm. Thought my mortgage lender might not like it if I go messing round with addresses just before completion.

P.S. IMO using the develops preferred mortgage broker is OK, they have no motivation to mess you around, however, do not use their sold. I have done so in the past and it was so painfully obvious at times that the developers interests were Bering given the same priority, if not higher priority than mine. Got my own sold this time and she's been brilliant, helping me put pressure on the developer to get what I wanted.

I'd also agree, sell yourself, don't PX, puts you in a far better negotiating position and you can keep more control. I did the same, sold first, went into rented for a bit and started looking. Many developers wouldn't even talk to me when I said I had a house to sell, telling me to come back once it was on the market and under offer. Ironically, it took me a mere 18 hours to put my house on the market and get a near asking price offer, just a matter of being realistic on asking price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure