PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Options

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 April 2016 at 11:30AM
    Options
    We had a big surprise on the phone this morning - we've agreed to exchange contracts on BOTH the sell and buy on the same day (for those who don't know, up until Wednesday of this week I hadn't got a single piece of paper from the solicitor for either...we though it would be May based on progress up to last week!

So its on for middle of next week, just before we take a week out on holiday. Its all got very real all of a sudden :)
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    alice_kate wrote: »
    Although I notice you are buying in the SE - us too. I think the builders know if we don't buy someone else will! Hence no extras at all with ours.

Barratt just released the next phase and they sold out within 15 minutes again! Crazy.

Glad it wasn't just me then! There was zero room for negotiation.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Hou - we didn't get the chance to walk away. We got an email to say that they would not be putting the door in so they have cancelled the sale and to expect a full refund. I think they realised we were not going to entertain the ridiculous access issue.

I should mention through all this they have been nothing but polite, prompt and friendly as have we.

So i have a viewing today and tomorrow for 'old builds' so we will see where that takes us.

I will bow out of the thread but not before wishing everyone all the best with their purchase.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Geeeez Tygermoth - that's seriously not good. I would be very surprised if you didn't have a case against them legally for your costs. Your solicitor not said anything?

After all they materially changed your contract.
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    So, a quick update if anyone's following.

Reservation exchange deadline passed on Tuesday. I'd been due to sign contracts & paperwork the day before but wasn't able to as the engrossed transfer hadn't been provided by the builder's solicitor. I wasn't too concerned about the deadline as there'd been no pressure applied to me by the builders as it approached so they were clearly relaxed about it. I received a letter this morning saying that they'd extended the deadline to next Friday so I was right not to panic.

Paperwork is all sorted now so contracts & mortgage deeds were all signed yesterday, the deposit transfers over next week to my conveyancers so hopefully exchange of contracts by Friday!

Today I'm sorting out storage and handing in my notice on my rental flat to move back in with my parents while I wait for completion - let's hope exchange happens as expected!

@Tygermoth - really sorry you've had such misery. Much as opinions are bandied around over new builds by people (many of which I've struggled to find comprehensive evidence for their negative opinion) regarding their future values, build quality, size etc your situation is I think where there is genuine risk as contracts are so weighted towards the builder and so much has to be taken on trust.

It is the one thing that makes me nervous (not massively, but more so than any other single thing) is waiting for things to complete and see what you actually end up with and when it will be built. I'm confident there'll be no issues but I'll be more relaxed when there's no room for doubt.

Hope you get somewhere to live soon!
  • fashionvictim
    Options
    @Hou Hope the packing is going well

Everyone else best of luck...

I will give a post move in update once I get back online...We have our visit the day before moving in...I cannot go as I'm working on a major project at work but the OH is charge !! So I won't see it until completion

As our months of build delays were due to new standards TW introduced i'm sure it will be perfect ;) ha ha
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    Geeeez Tygermoth - that's seriously not good. I would be very surprised if you didn't have a case against them legally for your costs. Your solicitor not said anything?

After all they materially changed your contract.
    No chance, developers can and will change plans after exchange and there is sufficient flex in the contract to do so. It happened with us.
  • pennyprincess
    Options
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    Hi Hou - we didn't get the chance to walk away. We got an email to say that they would not be putting the door in so they have cancelled the sale and to expect a full refund. I think they realised we were not going to entertain the ridiculous access issue.

I should mention through all this they have been nothing but polite, prompt and friendly as have we.

So i have a viewing today and tomorrow for 'old builds' so we will see where that takes us.

I will bow out of the thread but not before wishing everyone all the best with their purchase.

I'm so sorry Tygermoth hope you find what you need
    pennyprincess - getting more for less:p
  • pennyprincess
    Options
    I went to the show home today and got the bad news that completion prob won't be until July when we have one weekend away another weekend day in London for Harry Potter and the cursed child and the small matter of (another) holiday for 10 days which will start the day before our yearly rental renewal..although we are 1month notice any way means paying them more fees. Sigh...

In other good news I have seen the outside of the house now and there was a photo of it on right move
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3865fq3nd327ao5/IMG_20160416_1153084_rewind.jpg?dl=0

Ours is on the right and the very end

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3p0y0udsj638cul/Plot%2047.jpg?dl=0
    pennyprincess - getting more for less:p
  • Haylescom
    Haylescom Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    Tygermoth, I'm gutted for you. I hope you find what you're looking for soon.
    Congrats Hou and Fashionvictim, hope the moves go smoothly!
    I'm so excited, the ducks on the pond behind my house have had ducklings! Best neighbours ever.
    We've had an aerial installed in the loft as we were beginning to miss tv (sad I know). Still have no broadband, openreach say the cabling still isn't ready and they'll update us in 2 weeks (!) I need it for lesson planning so hope they hurry up. New commute isn't too horrendous at the moment either.
    We've ordered our bins from the council but there's an 8 week wait, plus currently they're not collecting pur rubbish. They've temporarily banded us in band E though; hope that goes down as it's only a 2 bed.
    I've added some new pics here; promise I won't bore you with any more! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s5bn99c5jayyb5y/AADRL9TNrmpJn9rZOUVLs-WYa?dl=0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure