PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Options

Comments

• chlo88
    chlo88 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's the weekend now so everyone's probably out stalking their new build haha! Tygemoth get progress pics up sounds like a good idea :) that story is awful about them dropping you like that so close to the end. House buying in England is so stressful and awful until you have the keys and your in!!! Anything could happen in the middle! Were hoping ours goes through bang on date (a little optimistic?) as were living with friends Currently whilst we've been saving and can't wait to have our own space again even if there's nothing in it. Well I shall be going to do my stalking tomorrow I'll get some pics then too :)
  • baxt3r
    baxt3r Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Yep we did our weekly trip to look at the house today. Glad its not just us! We've been taking pictures as well but the roof was already on when we started so they don't how huge differences.

Definitely moving forward though, the garage door was in and skips removed from the front. They've also taken down the fence which was in the wrong place.

We're just waiting on what date we'll exchange next week, solicitor has the deposit and all the contracts now.

Clo88, I hope what you say about Redrow finishing early is correct, the completion date is June but it'd be great if we could move in earlier.
  • Haylescom
    Options
    Love taking pictures, OH thinks it's weird! Didn't go this weekend (I've injured my foot) but they've been painting interiors this week.
    Baxt3r sounds like yours is coming along nicely; we don't have a garage door yet. Of all the things the actual building part is the thing that's going to plan for us so far!
  • baxt3r
    baxt3r Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Haylescom wrote: »
    Love taking pictures, OH thinks it's weird! Didn't go this weekend (I've injured my foot) but they've been painting interiors this week.
    Baxt3r sounds like yours is coming along nicely; we don't have a garage door yet. Of all the things the actual building part is the thing that's going to plan for us so far!

lol we love taking them as well, I've not told the OH yet as I'm not sure she'll agree but I'm thinking a small photo collage would look good on a wall somewhere.
  • Haylescom
    Options
    A friend of mine bought a house that needed lots of work doing. She photographed every stage and then made an album on photobox of the whole thing. Thought that was a great idea!
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February 2016 at 11:10AM
    Options
    So here is our house.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67469783/Hilda%20-%20Week%203.png

Yesterday was not a good visit. There were some unexpected revelations.

They have put the base in and i can see the waste outlets for the downstairs loo, utility and kitchen. I notice they are flipped not per the plans we were shown. We were expecting the kitchen and patio doors to go out to the garden but from where the outlets are it looks like that's not the case, which is a bit of a shame. this also means the master bed upstairs has flipped to the back, so looking over the garden not the green to the front. not ideal.

However there is two larger issues.

1.The plans call for a door on the back wall from the driveway into the utility as well as a gap between the garage and the wall of the house for a gate and fence so you can enter the back garden.

Currently the garage looks to have been moved forward so its wall is butted up to the back of the house and there is no space for a fence or gate at all. So as there is no door or gate there is no access to the house at all except through the front door. You would have to park round the back, walk round the side then down the front to get inside.... which would get old. fast.

Also there will be no direct access to the garden. Everything would have to go through the house as there will be a 5 foot wall all the way round as it forms the drive wall of the house behind.

We already have the post res meeting with the site manager booked in on thursday to detail the build so we can clarify then.

2. Also the house behind looks to have been flipped too, so they should not have had any windows looking into our garden (the reason we picked this house as its on the front edge of the estate, so no driving through a rabbit warren, it was on its own little spur and it was not overlooked at all - green to the front and one house to the rear with only bathroom frosted glass) Now it will have two bedroom windows (one floor to ceiling with a juliette balcony) overlooking the back directly into the garden.

It wouldn't have been to much of an issue except as we have flipped as well these windows now look into the living room and the master bedroom rather than the less used dining room, the office and the guestroom.

Mmmmmm.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • bt1
    bt1 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tygermoth, how did you get so close?! Ours has the Taylor Wimpey fencing all around the site so can't see or get in. Although there is a hold on the fence I can peek through!

Do they know u are there? They told us we weren't allowed on site :(
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February 2016 at 2:52PM
    Options
    The house is being built right next to a green, which flows to a large park all of which is public land.

So i can stand right up against the fence and take photos with my mobile. I am outside the site and there is a fence between me and the house.

I also do it on the weekend when there are no site staff :D
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • daisymac
    Options
    I've been in my new build for around 18 months and could not be happier. My advice on snagging is be pleasant, thorough and let them build up a bit rather than report every little thing. Obviously that only stands if cosmetic if it is a leak etc that will worsen defo report it.

I have no regrets and am in my forever home!
    LBM August 2015
    Parentals £10000 CC3 £1,827:mad:
    :TCC1 £0 CC2 £0 OD £0

:TPaid off so far £9,793
  • bt1
    bt1 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We went today, managed to find a gap in between a building and the fence, took a few pics, will post later! Looks like the ground floor is complete! :) Hopefully we hear about contracts next week!

BF thinks I'm completely crazy taking pics!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure