Looking for new console: PS4 or XBox One

Options

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    @bluenosesam, I didn't know they paid for exclusives. Well apart from tomb raider. I just noticed last gen Xbox got more exclusives especially early on and that happened to coincide with higher unit sales than ps. This gen ps4 has sold a lot more units than Xbox and seem to get more exclusive content, coincidence? I would say higher unit sales means more popular.
    I agree that higher sales does not automatically mean better console.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    nope,on their experience.
    You give a lot of advice relating to the PS4,yet state you dont have one.

So you say they know better? Then how come they mentioned free games on Xbox as if something similar does not happen on ps+. Look into it if you don't believe me. As part of your ps+ subscription you get free games and other content.
    Now I repeat I am not having a dig at them as they are probably just mistaken.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    @bluenosesam, I didn't know they paid for exclusives. Well apart from tomb raider. I just noticed last gen Xbox got more exclusives especially early on and that happened to coincide with higher unit sales than ps. This gen ps4 has sold a lot more units than Xbox and seem to get more exclusive content, coincidence? I would say higher unit sales means more popular.
    I agree that higher sales does not automatically mean better console.

Xbox didn't have more exclusives early on in the last generation - the PS3 was VERY late & as a result missed out on a number of games. (The reality being had the machine been delivered on time they'd have been released on both formats)

The PS4 has sold more units than Xbox One - reason behind that is simply that Xbox One suffered arguably the biggest PR disaster launch in gaming history. Honestly there's been bad PR in the past for gaming stuff, but this completely blew even the ET incident out of the water & god knows that near sunk the entire industry. There's a number of people out there who honestly still believe all that stuff & a further group of people who won't forget it - Sony played on that.

Popularity is a fickle thing, it's often as easy as throwing money at the right people, look no further than Activision & what they do. When the timed exclusivity for content switched last November so did many people - e-sports dictated that the format of choice was PS4. Problem for Sony is that they'll need to keep throwing money at Activision to retain that cos you know Microsoft will pitch hard with their Elite controller.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Xbox didn't have more exclusives early on in the last generation - the PS3 was VERY late & as a result missed out on a number of games. (The reality being had the machine been delivered on time they'd have been released on both formats)

The PS4 has sold more units than Xbox One - reason behind that is simply that Xbox One suffered arguably the biggest PR disaster launch in gaming history. Honestly there's been bad PR in the past for gaming stuff, but this completely blew even the ET incident out of the water & god knows that near sunk the entire industry. There's a number of people out there who honestly still believe all that stuff & a further group of people who won't forget it - Sony played on that.

Popularity is a fickle thing, it's often as easy as throwing money at the right people, look no further than Activision & what they do. When the timed exclusivity for content switched last November so did many people - e-sports dictated that the format of choice was PS4. Problem for Sony is that they'll need to keep throwing money at Activision to retain that cos you know Microsoft will pitch hard with their Elite controller.
    Just to be clear when I say exclusives I do also mean things like exclusive content, dlc released first etc. The PS3 did come later which didn't help but it also suffered a bad launch, poor game selection on release etc.
    Yeah, the xbone could catch up just like I believe the PS3 did to a degree to the 360. Once behind it is difficult to fully catch up because people jump on the bandwagon and want what is seen as the most popular. Any news related to sales I hear always says ps4 is way ahead.I haven't played on the new consoles yet but I experienced both the 360 and PS3 and for me the PS3 was better and a lot of the bad things Xbox fanboys said about it weren't true. For example playing online was supposedly worse on PS3. There were regularly connection problems for me on Xbox live but I never had a single issue of any kind on psn.
    Ultimately whether last gen or this I am sure you would love both consoles whichever you choose. As people say though take into account what console your friends have and which game exclusives you prefer. For me I love uncharted so I would be getting a ps4 if I could coz uncharted 4 is out soon.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So you say they know better? Then how come they mentioned free games on Xbox as if something similar does not happen on ps+. Look into it if you don't believe me. As part of your ps+ subscription you get free games and other content.
    Now I repeat I am not having a dig at them as they are probably just mistaken.

They didnt. They said they like the games with gold deal.
    Really not too good with this reading what is written,not what you think is written malarky.
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    The PS4 has sold more units than Xbox One - reason behind that is simply that Xbox One suffered arguably the biggest PR disaster launch in gaming history. Honestly there's been bad PR in the past for gaming stuff, but this completely blew even the ET incident out of the water & god knows that near sunk the entire industry.
    Interesting use of the word "honestly". In the US, at launch, the Xbox One was the fastest-selling console in (the US's) console history. Globally, it's still tracking higher than the PS3 at relative points in these consoles' history, and it's sold through nearly double the units of the WiiU, despite a much shorter availability period.

While a lot of people didn't seem to understand that MS was trying to put a Steam-equivalent on a console a couple of years ago ("Steam" is quite a popular gaming platform on "PCs"), I'm not sure that quite equates to FIVE NINE NINE US DOLLARS, "I will work more hours to buy one", giant enemy crab, rumble being a "last-gen feature" (because they didn't have it) or the embarrassment of the PS3's shelf-magnetism (despite Tretton's delusion).

Consider that the PS2 was by far the most popular console of the preceding generation, and that the PS3 had overtaken the 360 in sales before the current-gen consoles launched - both times, Sony had the sold-through sales advantage and consequent brand loyalty. The PS3's E3 PR disaster and ensuing damage can very clearly and easily be seen as far more significant, so your "ET" comparison is... ill-informed, perhaps?

(Not that I think the Xbone has much going for it, personally. I'm not defending it as a gaming platform. I'm just sharing a little gaming history with you. I think that perhaps you're reading a few disgruntled forum posts on the Internet and believing that they are representative of something that the evidence does not support.)
    Yeah, the xbone could catch up just like I believe the PS3 did to a degree to the 360.
    Actually, the PS3 lifetime sales didn't just "catch up to a degree", but overtook the 360 a couple of years ago, despite having a shorter release period. If you have Internet access, why not just check your guesses rather than publishing incorrect information?
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    They didnt. They said they like the games with gold deal.
    Really not too good with this reading what is written,not what you think is written malarky.
    they said they like the 4 free games with gold deal. that was one of the reasons they prefer xbox which therefore implies you dont get that with ps+.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    PenguinJim wrote: »

Actually, the PS3 lifetime sales didn't just "catch up to a degree", but overtook the 360 a couple of years ago, despite having a shorter release period. If you have Internet access, why not just check your guesses rather than publishing incorrect information?
    i was just forming an opinion based on what i know like everyone else here. i never saw anything saying the ps3 took over. the general view was the 360 was more popular and with multiplatform games the 360 version would often chart higher than the ps3 version. this gen it seems fortunes have reversed and ps4 verisons of games tend to chart higher.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    they said they like the 4 free games with gold deal. that was one of the reasons they prefer xbox which therefore implies you dont get that with ps+.

No it doesnt.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    ineed wrote: »
    I like the 4 free games with gold deal.
    i agree the post above does not say what it says. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories