Looking for new console: PS4 or XBox One

edited 10 February 2016 at 7:09PM in Gaming MoneySaving
81 replies 11.3K views
ApollianApollian Forumite
6 Posts
edited 10 February 2016 at 7:09PM in Gaming MoneySaving
Just wanted to weight up the pros and cons.
why I'm thinking about PS4 is: its powerful, nice graphics, it sells really well.

why I'm thinking of the Xbox One, price, superior lineup of exclusive software to date, free backward compatibility, DNLA streaming, Xbox Live.

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They both have nice graphics and both are powerful.

What is the question ?

Is it by any chance which 1 to get ?
  • I would get the console with the exclusive games that interest you the most.

After being in the same situation I chose the Xbox One due to controller familiarity, but I would have been more than happy with either.
  • There's really not much to choose between them at the moment.

The PS4 has more powerful hardware but we really are at the stage of diminishing returns where the differences are negligible.

In terms of exclusives the X-Bone does seem to have more but if you're not a Halo fan then i'd say PS4 actually has a bit more variety.

As a media centre the X-Bone is pretty far ahead of the PS4.

The HDD's on PS4's are much cheaper to upgrade than on the X-Bone which is quite a consideration this gen with so much DLC and mandatory game install space needed.

I went PS4 this gen and glad I did because of exclusives like Uncharted, Bloodbourne, Ace Combat, Final Fantasy VII, Last Of Us and Street Fighter V. Also Last Guardian looks very good.

Not being a fan of Halo and with Mass Effect no longer exclusive it's only really Gears Of War and Forza I feel like i'm missing out on.
  • Plucked for the XB1 when in this situation last year.
    As you said, backwards compatability was one of the thoughts I had, as now your getting 4 free games a month not just 2.
    Also EA access was another as at the time Fifa 15 was the lastest one and was already in the vault meaning I could play it, as well as all the others for a smaller price than buying them all as soon as I unboxed the console and signed up, and also the bonus of 10 hour timed full game demos of StarWars etc before release.

One thing I will say about the XB1/PS4 era is that console gaming has never been so cheap. I got my XB1 when Batman was released, and have since only bought Fallout4 as a physical disc (was £9.99 when trading in Batman).
    Yet my games list is quite large, thanks to Games for Gold, backwards capability, the fact that no region lock applies to digital downloads meaning you can buy games (especially in the Microsoft weekly sale) from the Russia/SouthAfrica Xbox stores much cheaper than the Uk one. This is also true for the EA Access which can be had for £12 a year (from Hungary store i think) giving you 10ish titles straight away too.
  • donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Remember regarding exclusives they don't always stay that way. For example the recent tomb raider will be coming to ps4 also later in the year. Another thing to consider is what consoles do most of your friends have. When you have decided which one go for the bigger hard drive version, 1tb at the moment.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Remember regarding exclusives they don't always stay that way. For example the recent tomb raider will be coming to ps4 also later in the year. Another thing to consider is what consoles do most of your friends have. When you have decided which one go for the bigger hard drive version, 1tb at the moment.

That's a good point re the exclusives.
  • Remember regarding exclusives they don't always stay that way. For example the recent tomb raider will be coming to ps4 also later in the year. Another thing to consider is what consoles do most of your friends have. When you have decided which one go for the bigger hard drive version, 1tb at the moment.

As above go with what your friends have, cross platform maybe coming PC-Xbox1 but I can never see the day PS4-Xb1 happens.
    Also look at what exclusives your thinking about, Tomb Raider will land on PS4, and hopefully Street Fighter5 will on the Xbox1, but if its Gears of Wars, Halo, Forza, Titanfall it'd have to be a Xbox1 Console wise.
    Or if its Gran Turismo, Little Planet, Uncharted would need to be PS4
    (They'll be more the ones I've listed too)
  • Remember regarding exclusives they don't always stay that way. For example the recent tomb raider will be coming to ps4 also later in the year. Another thing to consider is what consoles do most of your friends have. When you have decided which one go for the bigger hard drive version, 1tb at the moment.

Regarding this it was never a true exclusive - a timed exclusive yes, but never exclusive, it's fairly common (see CoD) & ultimately should come after fair consideration.

I'm also going to point out that with the hard drive issue, on Xbox One it's not strictly an issue - you can pick up compatible external drives relatively cheap. PS4 is allegedly a piece of cake to change the hard drive in, shows a little in the short sighted stage of things though that they don't allow external hard drives. (Might be cynical, but I wouldn't trust the average user to install a hard drive!) Either way I'd suggest weighing up the evidence, it might not always be the more economical long term play to buy the 1tb models!

And the post above also brings up the major point, what are your mates playing, cos no one really wants to be that one member of the squad playing the wrong machine!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Regarding this it was never a true exclusive - a timed exclusive yes, but never exclusive, it's fairly common (see CoD) & ultimately should come after fair consideration.

I'm also going to point out that with the hard drive issue, on Xbox One it's not strictly an issue - you can pick up compatible external drives relatively cheap. PS4 is allegedly a piece of cake to change the hard drive in, shows a little in the short sighted stage of things though that they don't allow external hard drives. (Might be cynical, but I wouldn't trust the average user to install a hard drive!) Either way I'd suggest weighing up the evidence, it might not always be the more economical long term play to buy the 1tb models!

And the post above also brings up the major point, what are your mates playing, cos no one really wants to be that one member of the squad playing the wrong machine!
    on exclusives that is true but alot of people wont realise that. alot of people will have seen tomb raider arrive on xbone and not ps4 and think it wont be coming to ps4.
    on hd size the bigger the better and unless you are confident about installing your own hd it is best to go for the version of console with the biggest possible as you will run out of room eventually as you buy more and more games.
  • on exclusives that is true but alot of people wont realise that. alot of people will have seen tomb raider arrive on xbone and not ps4 and think it wont be coming to ps4.
    on hd size the bigger the better and unless you are confident about installing your own hd it is best to go for the version of console with the biggest possible as you will run out of room eventually as you buy more and more games.

For the average user it's almost always a better bet - but for some of us who're a little more savvy than the average "oh little Johnny wants an Xbox" person it's not always so clear cut. The difference between what I paid for my Xbox One & the price of a 1tb one was at the time £60, I know I can pick up a 2tb external drive for around that figure.

As for the first part, chances are if you know Tomb Raider you know it was the case it was timed exclusive - failing that a good retailer will tell you. (Which instantly rules out the vast majority of supermarkets, cheap does not always mean good!)
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals