Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Nice People Thread No. 15, a Cyber Summer

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SC - very embarrassed here - not sure which is the posh half....

The current MSE tariff is rubbish for us but there is another tariff that is pretty much cost neutral over a year but cheaper for higher useage - I am wondering if it is worth switching because we are about to start high usage winter with the plan of switching again in the spring....

...also curious as to whether we could get an economy 7 meter installed and use an E7 tariff in the winter and charge the car overnight and then switch back to a standard tariff in the summer when we charge the car mostly from our solar.....
    I think....
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Strange coincidence after last night's weather events!

I was following a distant-relation on the tree and found a news story that looks like it's her mother in law.

Alarmed at the atrocious weather she had "got out of bed in terror, opened the door of the room, and was standing on the landing" - lightning came down the chimney, shattered the fireplace and mantlepiece and killed her!

Good job you hadn't read that yesterday, after the night you had last night!:eek:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,994 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    SC - very embarrassed here - not sure which is the posh half....

The current MSE tariff is rubbish for us but there is another tariff that is pretty much cost neutral over a year but cheaper for higher useage - I am wondering if it is worth switching because we are about to start high usage winter with the plan of switching again in the spring....

...also curious as to whether we could get an economy 7 meter installed and use an E7 tariff in the winter and charge the car overnight and then switch back to a standard tariff in the summer when we charge the car mostly from our solar.....

My deal (last year's energy club deal) is finishing so I had to move or face a 20%+ price hike. You are probably better than me at keeping an eye out for deals, so would switch more often. I've just chosen the best deal. Turns out it wasn't the British Gas energy club "cheaper than the cheapest" but a sainsbury tariff that is supplied by BG. I need to adjust last year's usage figures to allow for the more efficient boiler we have had installed and DS2 being at home.

Comments on the thread related to the deal, talk of moving seasonally and also whether dual fuel is always the best deal.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 September 2016 at 1:17PM
    Options
    That was the tariff I was considering, very cheap gas, not so cheap leccy, hence being a good 'winter' tariff....however our solar power adds an exta level of complication.....of course there are early exit fees but swiching bonus can offset these....
    I think....
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    You are probably better than me at keeping an eye out for deals

Probably? :)
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Pyxis
    edited 16 September 2016 at 6:16PM
    Options
    Don't forget to watch the Harvest moon penumbral eclipse, which is due to start very soon! (And will last a while, so don't panic!).

In the UK the moon will rise at 19.13 just north of East, and move to ESE by 20.00.

We're too far west to get the full umbral eclipse, but might still see something, especially with binoculars.

Hope it will be clear.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Don't forget to watch the Harvest moon penumbral eclipse, which is due to start very soon! (And will last a while, so don't panic!).

Cheers - just seen it come up above the Furness Fells, somewhat large and a rather pretty orange.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    Cheers - just seen it come up above the Furness Fells, somewhat large and a rather pretty orange.

Yup!

At first I didn't think I was seeing the eclipse, then I realised it was getting brighter, (seen through bins), so it must have already been in the penumbra, and was starting to pass out of it.

Very lucky with the sky, because it was still cloudy at 6pm! But perfectly clear by 7.30!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    Options
    I only read about it at 8.15. Looked outside but it was behind a building. Went upstairs and I could've seen it, if I'd known ... but I'd missed it.

Well, the eclipsy bit was very, very subtle. If I hadn't known it was happening, I wouldn't have realised, as it was only a penumbral eclipse and not the full umbral works! So don't worry about missing it!

It was quite pretty when it was rising, though, all big and orangey! (I had to walk right round the corner to see it though, through a gap in the houses!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 September 2016 at 9:50PM
    Options
    I am indulging my inner European and drinking Aperol Spritzes tonight.

And very refreshing they are after a far too long week at work.

So when work inevitably emails me both at midnight tonight and again at 6 am tomorrow I shall also indulge my passive-aggressive inner child and not respond until Monday morning. :)
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport