Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Nice People Thread No. 15, a Cyber Summer

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Earlier, when I went downstairs to make a cup of tea, I noticed that the clocks on the microwave, oven and radio were blinking, so must have lost some power in the night. I didn't hear a thunderstorm, though, only torrential rain.
    I had got up in the night, and the lights were ok then, and I woke at four and they were ok then too!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thunder that makes the house vibrate. That's a new one, not come across that before.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    Thunder that makes the house vibrate. That's a new one, not come across that before.

Then you've never been at McTavish Manor after I've eaten beans on toast.....:D
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of flash flooding around today in the South but so far, we have avoided it all....so far.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    edited 16 September 2016 at 9:31AM
    Options
    I'm not very far from the train derailment. I hope everyone is ok.

Update: phew, they are:
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp42lc
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,994 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If anyone uses the MSE energy club for electric/ gas, now is the time to check it out again.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's gone an awful yellow colour outside, think we are about to get some rain. That will please my dad as it will mean he doesn't have to water the plants, it will annoy me though as it will mean all the blooming plants will go mad in my garden.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 September 2016 at 10:22AM
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Our local town is renowned for having a 'builders premium' - allegedly if you choose builders from several other local towns within about 10 miles you will pay 10-20% less.

I remember hearing - or reading in a lifestyle magazine while waiting for my dental appointment - of a London couple who ended up engaging someone from Dorset to supply and install their new kitchen.
    Even with them paying his fuel costs it worked out around a third of the price quoted by any of their local firms.

This was several years ago though; I'm sure Dorset prices are often much nearer to London ones these days :eek:

Sue And the wretched grass will grow :mad:

I saw a lightning flash through the curtains at one point, but we had the fan on in the bedroom so didn't hear any thunder. Didn't get much sleep though as it was so humid and uncomfortable. This morning I'm delighted to say the headache that had dogged me for three days has gone :j
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Did the child at the comp feel rejected?

DS1 at the grammar struggled in gcse years, he worried that his grades would look pathetic compared to the many academically gifted kids around. Once his decent results arrived it gave him his confidence back and he chose to stay there for sixth form.

No, they'd been at a private school we'd had to pay for ourselves, but with no sixth form. The school switch was inevitable. At a college now, and the local comp did help boost confidence.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • oldandhappy
    Options
    we have visitors still and rain:eek: but I am a born survivor;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure