Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 January 2017 at 9:47PM
    Options
    Very true Busymee, we ventured there and on the way gf said she didn't want to go but felt she should as him being an a$$ shouldn't stop her going, so we went. Only to find that I had left my gym tee at home :rotfl:

So we came home, walked to Tescos to get some chicken thighs (took our own carrier bag for a change!) and walked home again. I've hit 15k steps today though so not too bad.

Dinner was half a roasted veg tart (YS at 90p a while back, other half is in the freezer), a flatbread each from the freezer, a little cabbage and smattering of oven chips :)

Chicken is bought for Thursday night- planning Harissa chicken :) yum

Work was pants but it's another day the mortgage goes paid ;)

Lunch is made for tomorrow- Iceland chicken with couscous, chopped veg and some mashed up celeriac mixed in (bulks it out with minimal calories)

Wednesday I'm now visiting suppliers and my big big boss :eek: he is getting taken out for lunch by our suppliers but my colleague and I have to go get our own food- we're going to get a nice coffee and sandwich somewhere tasty and claim it back (we are allowed to)

Dinner plans on Wednesday have been cancelled for which I'm secretly a little glad (no spending now, can help gf parents with month end cashing up), also arranged to meet a friend next week. It was her birthday a few weeks ago- normally I'd buy something lavish and we'd go for dinner; I've instead invited her to our house and will bake her a cake and buy her some daffodils or tulips and give her a birthday Soap & Glory box set I got in the Boots sale (£1!). This won't cost much but I'm hoping she likes the effort. She is struggling a little financially and I thought that may lessen the burden of us constantly buying birthday/Christmas gifts that are too expensive :money:
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 31 January 2017 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Came Home early from work today as feeling really rubbish- think it's just a head cold but am feeling a little sorry for myself.

3 Onepoll surveys done and 35p earned, free postcode lottery checked and checked the travel competition on a quidco again. Now snuggled on sofa (heating off) in a big snugly blanket.

Nipped to a cut price food place earlier today and bought £3.85 of short dates or out of date stuffs- lots of bread muffins for eating this week and for the freezers, some stuffed cherry tomatoes and olives as well as some time baha tortilla mixes for dinners :)

Declared my OP for January at £68.15 in total, lower than what my monthly amount should be however planning on council tax payable in March and April (but paid out of 15th Feb & 15th March pay packets) to be put into OP fund which will be an additional £260 which will help boost the amount- Must remember this is a marathon not a sprint and anything is better than nothing.
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 1 February 2017 at 3:25PM
    Options
    Today has not quite gone to plan: got up and suited & booted for meeting with big boss and suppliers. Feel absolutely dreadful but thought it'd be awful to cancel, so I make my travel mug of coffee and check work emails on my phone to find the session is cancelled.

Quickly changed into casual clothes and thick jumpers and got settled on the sofa with the laptop instead! This is more fortunate for me as means I don't have to struggle with meetings and concentrating! I can do some bog standard spreadsheet work and keep warm & medicined up!

Called Clydesdale to check how much interest was applied for Jan but I was a day too early - whoooops! :D have moved £3 from pinecone surveys this morning and another 12p as a Tilly tidy so am off the blocks for Feb :j

Time to make my coffee and get back onto the laptop! X
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,899 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Kittenkirst, you're right, it is a marathon, not a sprint and it is hard to get going at the beginning when you have all the expenses of a new house to deal with. You'll get there I'm sure! As you say, every penny helps.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Options
    Today has been a fantastic day!!

The plumber has finally been and fitted our boiling water mixer tap! Hurrah!!

:j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j

It looks so pretty, I keep just testing the different water functions like a kid with a new toy! Lots of banging around whilst he got it in and he had to replace a plug apparently to make it all fit but it's in!!

I can now get rid of that kettle!

Colds still put me on my backside but it's only a seasonal bug really, I'm just a bit of a pathetic one when I'm poorlie.

Breakfast was one of those short dated English muffins toasted with a poached egg (poached in microwave), lunch was some new potatoes boiled with a little swede and haggis out of the freezer :D

Off to the parents in law to help with month end cashing up, having dinner round there's too so not sure what's on the menu yet.

Will swallow some meds before I go round and wrap up warmly!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 1 February 2017 at 10:30PM
    Options
    Today has got even better- my strap on my Fitbit charge HR has started to wear through after 16 months of daily wear so I emailed them on Monday about it- they have just put through a replacement one free of charge for me :D (they also offered me an upgrade to the charge hr2 like I bought the gf for Christmas but with 30% off. I was sorely tempted to get it but I don't want to spend the £100 when I can get a brand new like for like replacement for free!) :money:

The two Starbucks free coffee vouchers also arrived for the awful coffee at Warwick Starbucks woop!:j

And I now don't need to look at changing mobile phone providers! I was moaning to gf yesterday that my sim only deal had double data with ID mobile until April so I'd need to look around as the standard data on my price plan is too little- received an email that they'll continue with the double data plan for as long as I want, which keeps my mobile bill at £10 a month :beer:

Today feels like a good day to me! Plus home cooked Gujarati food for dinner will always put me in a good mood (potato curry, dhal and rotlis delicious :heartpuls )
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 2 February 2017 at 11:01PM
    Options
    NSD today yay!!

Pretty uneventful day today, took porridge & jam in for brekkie and had leftover dhal & rotli for lunch yum!

Made harissa chicken for dinner (recipe here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/harissa-chicken-traybake?amp) which was gorgeous & used harissa paste we've had forever and some olives from the 40p jar from the discount food place. I used chicken thighs which I skinned & boned as were £1.50 a few days ago :) much tastier than chicken breast just a little more time intensive.

Received interest on our joint account which was swept to the mortgage- £1.64 so at £4.91 so far this month, will keep tilly tidying and if there's enough in the joint account the day before payday I'll transfer £25 across.

Planning to round up the mortgage payment this month which is an additional £89 to be added after 20th Feb; will have a look what else can be thrown at the mortgage for the rest of the month.

Planning to visit IKEA for the storage in the silversmith room this weekend, potentially pick up a bathroom cabinet and a living room rug dependent on price/if we like them so possibly a spendy weekend coming up.

A few Onepoll surveys done, no pinecone/prolific or Yougov through for a while though, slowly slowly catch the monkey (or something like that :D )
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Off work poorly pie today as this cold has proper knocked me.

Called the bank for the interest applied to the mortgage on the 1st and it was £430.62 ouch :eek:

Good news is this has reduced by 4.5p per day on last months figure so it's something :D (I maybe clutching at straws here though!)

Not much ok the agenda today, will have soup for lunch and will be an enforced NSD by plans to not leave the house :money:

Off to read some diaries and stay wrapped up in my blanket!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Today is a pretty dull day with being poorly, so far today I've swept the kitchen, put a wash and the dishwasher on (both on eco so longer cycles but less energy/water used) and have made brocolli & Stilton soup for lunch- used up the brocolli stalk for the brocolli we had with dinner on Saturday with friends, plus the stalk from the head of brocolli we will use with tomorrow's roast dinner with friends :D (Stilton was YS on Monday too!)

Washing is on the airer drying.

Lovely gf is working up north today and left stupidly early, looking forward to a night in on the sofa tonight :heartpuls
    Now on the sofa with Harry Potter on & a blanket, not up to much else but trying to relax and keep hydrated :)
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi kittenkirst hope you are feeling a bit better resting at home today, sorry to hear your girlfriend was so upset, but as others have said it's not worth feeding an idiot like that with your energy and I do believe what goes around comes around!

Have a great weekend :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback