Are you a worrier?

Options
I am.

I hate myself for doing it but every time there is a problem I go through every scenario, fixating on the worst possible outcome. I literally worry myself sick and often can't sleep for worrying.

My mother used to do it and it drove me mad and now I am doing the same thing. I think it is a learned response, but as I get older it is becoming worse. Mostly in relation to kids or work.

Logically, I know it doesn't/won't/can't change the outcome but I simply can't seem to stop,

Has anyone managed to train themselves out of this?

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am a natural worrier.

I don't really want to change. It makes me good at my job. A
    I'll always have plans to deal with problems, because I will have mulled over the various scenarios.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I think it can be useful, but I think my worrying is getting out of control.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am totally the opposite, I very very rarely worry and don't lose sleep over situations etc.

I can't really advise, as I don't know why I am this way.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    This is interesting to me, as I'm also not a worrier - theres been very little over my 30 adult years thats had me kept awake worrying about it.
    I don't dissect every decision or event that happens, and I only really "worry" about it if theres imminent threat to life or limb, or if theres a real chance it may affect the ability to keep the roof over my head or food on the table.
    I refuse to worry about work - I don't get paid enough to bring work problems home with me!

Now, I will say, having a child has changed that slightly :cool: - I get niggles of worry for her, as she gets older and starts spreading her wings. But, so far, still no sleepless nights.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I slide along the worry spectrum a bit.
    When one of the lads is off doing something - I can stay up wondering a bit hard. Likewise, when I'm about to do something new, I can get pre-show jitters aplenty.

However, when I'm about to do something again and I find myself twitching, I grab the iphone & start making detailed lists.

Plus if I think *I* worry, I just run a mental eye over my mother. She has it down to an Olympic medal winning art. Since my worrying talents are so feeble in comparison, it's easier just to make lists.
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's lack of confidence. What if this happens, what if that happens.. how would I cope, what would I do, etc etc

But if you're imagining morbid scenarios or dwelling on things too much it might be time to try and re-train yourself a bit. I think a lot of our habits are picked up from family or people we were influenced by in our formative years.
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Far from it.. I don't see the point.. you cannot change some times so you find a way to deal with it.. or you can change something in which case.. do it.. what is the point in fretting over any of it?

I may discuss several ways to deal with a situation, usually with myself.. but losing sleep over something I cannot do a thing about won't ever happen.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    heuchera wrote: »
    I think it's lack of confidence. What if this happens, what if that happens.. how would I cope, what would I do, etc etc

But if you're imagining morbid scenarios or dwelling on things too much it might be time to try and re-train yourself a bit. I think a lot of our habits are picked up from family or people we were influenced by in our formative years.

I disagree with lack of confidence.

Like I said, I'm a planner, so I go through the various senarios & have plans to cope with whatever outcome.
    I'm a person who likes to have a safety net in place & a plan b ready to roll out.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what ever you worry about...think how to solve it and if you cant whats the point in worring about it.
    eg worry about get in old
    50 years old..... Im old
    The average age of a man is 80

so Ive got 30 years left.

It depends how you look at things
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am.

I hate myself for doing it but every time there is a problem I go through every scenario, fixating on the worst possible outcome. I literally worry myself sick and often can't sleep for worrying.

My mother used to do it and it drove me mad and now I am doing the same thing. I think it is a learned response, but as I get older it is becoming worse. Mostly in relation to kids or work.

Logically, I know it doesn't/won't/can't change the outcome but I simply can't seem to stop,

Has anyone managed to train themselves out of this?

I don't think my situation got to the place where yours sounds like, but I often talk to myself in the mirror. I talk truth to myself.

I look myself in the eye. I say things like...the chance of baby Byl being run over by a car is 0.000001%. If you worry about it, it will still be 0.00000001%. The 0.00000001% is such a small chance of something happening. It is far more likely to happen to someone else. Now focus on the 99.9999999999999% which will be far more beneficial to baby Byl.

I don't need to do it so much now, but a useful technique which worked for me. And a notebook by the bed to write down anything which wakes me up at 3am.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport