Time to get serious

Options

Comments

• EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Yes, very exciting! It's 8 acres with 4 timber stables & tack room, on hardstanding so about the same size as where the horses are now, but not quite as much buildings wise. It's even got a little strip of woodland too. I cannot wait!!!

Lots of plastering completed today, still a few bits to do, but decorating can go at full speed now.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    It sounds fab!
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    We are poor!!! The money has been transferred to the solicitor. It will be worth it though :)

Spare room has been completely under coated and off to choose carpet tomorrow.

Sent some more jewellery off to Hatton GM and has £75ish land in my account today - very quick service!
    Nothing from g3nie about the clothes recycling and they are shut now for Christmas.

Business banking completed and online shopping updated to come Friday. Stocked up on hay and got the turkey from the farmer.
    I'm feeling pretty organised at the moment :)
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Whoops I shouldn't have tempted fate by saying I was organised!!
    Didn't go carpet shopping as had a mishap with one of the horses. She is fine now, but wiped out a good couple of days. (Will go today now)

We had a quiet Christmas Day, with our girls round for dinner. There is lots of turkey left, which is great because it is my favourite :)

So this is the time of year for deciding what to do for the coming year. Ours is pretty much going to be getting the house ready to sell, sell house and move to a new house! That should keep us busy.

Thinking back to this time last year I was trying to decide between attempting to pay off the mortgage or to aim for a savings increase of 6k. Both of which seemed a stretch. If you had told me that not only did I achieve both, but increased savings enough to buy a field I really would have thought you were crazy! Absolutely amazing and still slightly gobsmacked. Thank you everyone for your company and support and here is to the next set of crazy goals :)
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    So how quickly can we get this house ready to sell?

The spare bedroom has now been completed except for a wardrobe (for DD2) and DD2 has moved in. Found a remnant at the carpet place yesterday and hubby has fitted it already :T
    Wardrobe has been ordered. Once this arrives we can move stuff out of DD2 old bedroom and make a start on that.

Bathroom is next to complete, this is currently in progress so should be completed soon.

A family Christmas meal today for hubby's family, so need to get the dog walked early but hoping to get bathroom painting finished at least.

Also must go through fridge and check use by dates!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    So how quickly can we get this house ready to sell?

The spare bedroom has now been completed except for a wardrobe (for DD2) and DD2 has moved in. Found a remnant at the carpet place yesterday and hubby has fitted it already :T
    Wardrobe has been ordered. Once this arrives we can move stuff out of DD2 old bedroom and make a start on that.

Bathroom is next to complete, this is currently in progress so should be completed soon.

A family Christmas meal today for hubby's family, so need to get the dog walked early but hoping to get bathroom painting finished at least.

Also must go through fridge and check use by dates!

Am impressed at your endeavours - we are having possibly the laziest Xmas ever! :p

I must go through my fridge today too - thanks for the reminder - suspect the freezer will be gaining a lot of the contents of mine... :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Usually the time between Christmas and NY is a quiet, relaxing time for us, it is only due to the house move we are decorating like crazy! I will be collapsing in a heap once we are all moved!!

Bathroom is all finished now and kitchen is nearly done. Wallpaper has been purchased for hallway. Currently 3/9 rooms complete (counting hallway as a room as there's lots to do, also counting outside as 1 room). There will need to be a lot of decluttering done on some of the rooms that are left too.

We contacted the accountant asking what he would advise about getting a mortgage, given our mix of income and he has passed our details into a broker. Not sure how I feel about this, but if he makes it easier then it could help. I have very clear ideas about what we want and what rates are about, so that should help! I did think about going into the bank to see what they would need for a mortgage based on our situation.

There won't be too much decorating done today as going to meet my mum for the day.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,963 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have used a broker in the past and now would not hesitate to recommend. Have saved me quite a bit :) And had great advice on mix of incomes as I am self employed and Mr Watty employed.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Your husband fits carpets? Good skills!
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    We are both quite handy, but there really isn't much hubby can't do! He can't cook cauliflower cheese, but I can live with that :)

I'm encouraged by the recommendation on a broker too, we shall see what he comes up with!

We had a lovely day with my mum and even managed a bit of painting and a little artex repair from a previous leak.

There is a new challenge now though, we drove by a house we liked the look of on r1ghtmove and hubby now really wants it :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure