Wedding extras

Options
Hi all

I'm getting married this summer and things seem to be on track with organising everything. Pretty much just suits to arrange and we'll have sorted everything we need to get married. However I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for little extras that could make a wedding that little bit better/more interesting/fun. We went to a wedding fair and I quite liked the idea of a photo booth or perhaps a string quartet for the missus to walk down the aisle to. I don't know, was just hoping for some inspiration.

Fire away :)
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Friends of hours had an old style ice cream van outside the church giving out 99's that went down well
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's a wedding forum on MSE.

How about a cartoonist to draw caricatures of your guests?
  • xxlouisexx56
    xxlouisexx56 Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Verix wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm getting married this summer and things seem to be on track with organising everything. Pretty much just suits to arrange and we'll have sorted everything we need to get married. However I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for little extras that could make a wedding that little bit better/more interesting/fun. We went to a wedding fair and I quite liked the idea of a photo booth or perhaps a string quartet for the missus to walk down the aisle to. I don't know, was just hoping for some inspiration.

Fire away :)

We're having a photo booth and a sweet table :)
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    BigAunty wrote: »
    There's a wedding forum on MSE.

How about a cartoonist to draw caricatures of your guests?

I like this idea ....I've also seen magicians going around the tables too.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had hundreds of prayer butterflies stuck to the ceiling which had to be taken down in the evening - everyone helped as one butterfly was a prize for a bottle of champagne.

It's the little things that some people remember like lavender on the napkins, lottery tickets for favours, purple champagne and unique song choices
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Bean83
    Bean83 Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As well as the guest book, we also printed off little slips with spaces for people to write 'advice for the bride and groom'. The guest book was lovely, but everyone tends to write the same things - these gave people a little more scope to put something funny and we have really enjoyed reading them since the wedding.

You can buy pre-printed cards from places like eBay: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=advice+for+the+bride+and+groom+cards&tbm=shop
  • tamuril
    tamuril Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    I like this idea ....I've also seen magicians going around the tables too.

We had a magician at our wedding who went round our guests while we were off getting our photos taken. Many of our guests commented afterwards that it was nice that they had some entertainment in that space between the ceremony and the meal. We also had a sweetie table open then so that guests didn't get too hungry before the meal.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    If there are going to be loads of kids at the wedding I can guarantee all the parents will remember if you do something for them.

At ours we just went to the local pound shop and picked up some cheap toys/colouring books to keep them occupied... I also got some plastic kazoos but the spoilsport other half wouldn't let me give them out because of the noise!

We also had a magician but found choosing one tricky as some can be a bit naff so don't just pick the first one you find.
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    This couple thought it would be a lovely romantic idea to have a trained owl swoop down the aisle, bearing the wedding rings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-24131275

Unfortunately being nocturnal it fell asleep and it took them an hour and having to get the step ladders out, to get the owl back down from the roof :rotfl:
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3811691&highlight=3k+wedding

This is a link to my 3k wedding thread where I tried to things on a budget.

We had our own wedding booth, loads of items from the pound shop etc including fancy dress wigs, hats, a chalk board for people to write on, picture frames, mustashes etc. hooked up a laptop and hubby wrote a programme that you pressed the space bar and it counted down from 5 and then took the photo. Much cheaper than the £250 that we found to be the cheapest photobooth option for us.

We had a Mr & Mrs game - a bit of it in post 9, where guests wrote questions that were answered either mr or mrs, we then held out shoes up to correspond with the answer (ie both hold up my shoe for Mrs and if right we got a point).

We made a top tip tree - with cards that people wrote their top marriage tips on - some rather rude ones too............. There's a post on making my own post box also, if your interested... it's about 6 pages in on post 111 though so understand if you get fed up after a page :)
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure