We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Crowdfunding and benefits

Options
I am disabled and use a wheelchair. I am on the higher rate DLA disability benefits and ESA support Group (incapacity). There is a propulsion device for my wheelchair that I would like to crowdfund for that would completely change my quality of life.
Will my benefits be impacted by crowdfunding for myself or would another individual need to do it and would that still be a problem?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a big risk this whole crowd funding thing, it might not even get anywhere or take ages in development stage.

I can't comment on the benefits issue.
  • Topcat1982
    Options
    Gifts are not counted as income for means tested benefits.

However if they see a large amount going into your account they might question it, and stop your benefits while it's sorted out. It's probably easier to get a family member to do it
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This Crowd funding is little more than begging and very distasteful imho....
    Have you looked at any available grants or charities that may be able to help?
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    How much is the device? Can you not pay for it with your DLA?
  • vlad
    vlad Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    keaton wrote: »
    With respect we don't know his/her condition, so how can you comment that this is not a genuine cause?

Totally agree too many people here are too quick to judge others !:mad:
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    How much money are we talking about here?

I am assuming that any cash raised isn't going to sit around in your bank account for any length of time?
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • Drummergirl1
    Options
    The device is £4300. I am 45 years old. Independence is very important for the mental and physical well-being of anybody. My shoulders and wrists are over-used with R.S.I.'s and tearing muscle. I have looked at many alternatives and this is the most suitable device for me and my circumstances. It will enable me to leave my house and mobilise independently within the community.
    I am not aware of any charities that can help me.
    It would take about 14 months of my remaining DLA to pay for this. I don't want to be house-bound any longer than necessary.
    It seems a shame that such a simple and benign question on a forum designed to help people has caused hostility and judgement.
    I'm sorry I asked.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Apply for grants and use your DLA. that is exactly what it is there for.
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    It will be disregarded as income. But if it sits in a bank account it will be treated as capital.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/236962/hbgm-bw2-assessment-of-income.pdf

Disregards
    W2.614 Any charitable or voluntary payment which is made or due to be made at regular intervals
    should be fully disregarded, see Annex B, paragraph 35.

W2.614
    What are voluntary payments?
    A voluntary payment is a payment that has
    • a benevolent purpose and
    • is given without anything being given in return
    R(IS) 4/94
    W2.618 A voluntary payment is similar to a charitable payment but it will not usually be made from a
    charitable trust. Voluntary payments are usually paid for the benefit of an individual. But LAs
    should recognise that charitable payments may also be made to individuals
    • for the relief of poverty, or
    • because a wider purpose is involved
    W2.619 When deciding if the payment is a voluntary payment, consider the
    • background to the payment, and
    • reasons for it.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    OP, although you may not be aware of any grants, there may be some available. Try googling 'disability grants', 'grants for wheelchairs', 'grants + name of town where you live', and similar phrases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport