We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Crowdfunding and benefits

Options

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Turn2us has a grants search tool

http://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/
  • Drummergirl1
    Options
    Thank you Housing Benefit Officer and kingfisher blue, you've clearly done some homework. I hadn't managed to get any further than crowdfunding with googling. Mainly the wheelchair charities are focused on children or short-term free hire.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 January 2016 at 7:02PM
    Options
    Have you looked into a disabled facilities grant from your local council? I assume you are either a tenant or home owner? It's means tested though.

https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants/overview

Out of interest, what is the item. I ask as I have the same issues.

Lastly, if you are honest (and I am sure you will be) on your crowd funding application, is it not up to individuals to contribute or not? So I can't see the issue.
  • barbarawright
    Options
    COntact your local reference library and ask them to check grant directories - Directory of Grant Making Trusts etc. If possible email them so they have a chance to do some research rather than ringing them and expecting an answer at once
  • Drummergirl1
    Options
    Thank you dippy3103 I will have a look at your link. I've also contacted CAB but they have a four day wait.
    I qualify for an active wheelchair from my local NHS wheelchair service but don't qualify for a powered wheelchair because I can do a pivot transfer. Ironically It gets funding from Medical insurers in America. I don't want to go into my medical diagnosis etc., but my upper body is also affected. Basically at 45, with years of pushing myself around my hands, arms, shoulders and neck are shot. I'm house-bound unless somebody takes me out. I need something small and lightweight that is waterproof and will go in a car if I'm lucky enough to get a lift anywhere. It compliments the lightweight chair I use and can be switched off if I don't need it and switched on if I need that extra bit of help. Physios have told me to restrict strenuous use of my arms to twenty minutes a day. You can imagine how restricting that is. If I do more I am tearing soft-tissue. I can't really wait 14 months for DLA, it will be too late and the damage irreparable. I'm not allowed to drive so wouldn't be able to get a standard electric chair into a car without a winch, This is the answer I've been waiting for.
    'Max-mobility SmartDrive MX2' Hope this helps Dippy3103.
  • dippy3103
    Options
    It would take you 14 months to save from DLA?

I can imagine that it's very painful & no fun at all. My neck & shoulders are shot too, but nothing like the scale on which you contend with and its no fun.

A DFG is more for alterations to your home to remain there & independent.

There must be something that can be done x
  • dippy3103
    Options
    Have you a local credit union? Just a thought
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    If you have no other savings then it won't be enough to affect benefits.

I'm bemused at the hostility to crowdfunding. No-one's forced to donate, so whether or not a cause is 'genuine' is down to the individuals who give money.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get a reasonable prices Powered wheelchair through motability using your DLA....It's also the quicker option and maintenance is included.
  • fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    Have you ever worked or been in a trade union as often industries have welfare funds.

Or you could try the Mobility Trust for a grant. Web address is

http://www.mobilitytrust.org.uk
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport