Is your fridge empty or full?

Options

Comments

• emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    I think eggs in the fridge is a big no no

But new fridges come with those nifty half dozen egg holders that sit in the door?!...............so cannot be a no no surely!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My fridge is usually more empty then full

Milk, spread and cheese all the time. Sliced cooked meats, salad stuff and veggies most of the time

Then it's left overs

Bowl of left overs for the dog
    Bowl of left overs for the chooks

And whatever left overs still deemed fit for human consumption

Right now it's a plate of cooked sausages and half a stuffed turkey thigh and a dish of cauliflower cheese

Oh, and half a packet of bacon and assorted jars of such delights as stuffed peppers, pickled walnuts and olives. Things we like but don't eat often
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Have a small under the counter fridge which is virtually empty. We have a small freezer for our food and a chest freezer for, primarily, the dog's food though as that goes down, our food tends to get put in it as well
  • Foggy
    Foggy Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Always nearly empty, I waste nowt. I batch up like it's a religion and hoy all sorts in owt thinking I'm Jamie Oliver...
  • Anatidaephobia
    Options
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    But new fridges come with those nifty half dozen egg holders that sit in the door?!...............so cannot be a no no surely!

I've just Googled it and the first thing that came up was this:
    Eggs will last longer in the fridge, provided you don't put them in the door. The cold does make them last, but constant changes in temperature can make them go off quicker. They should be kept nearer the back of the fridge, where the temperature is more constant.

So it's quite weird really that fridges come with those things to encourage you to keep eggs in the door.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I think fridges always came with those, not just new ones.

Eggs absorb strong smells which is why lots of people don't like to keep them in the fridge and if you go in for boiling them, you have to remember to take them out in time for them to reach room temperature or else they tend to crack.
  • coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    My fridge is reasonably full - but quite empty in comparison to my freezer!

It usually has the makings of a couple of dinners, and the leftovers from the previous night's dinner - so that people can eat them for lunch or as a snack. If the leftovers don't get eaten at that point, they go into the freezer, to be used up another day.

The salad/vegetable drawer has the makings of salads, soups, veggies to go with dinners, plus chillies, ginger and random herbs to give meals a bit more zing.

Eggs mainly live in the fridge, but are brought out to acclimatise to room temperature before baking or boiling. Bananas never go in the fridge because my family like to eat them when they're yellow, so they prefer them to be kept at room temperature.

The previous paragraph ignores the fact that, in my Scottish kitchen, 'room temperature' and 'fridge temperature' are pretty much the same on a winter's day!
  • fierystormcloud
    fierystormcloud Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2016 at 12:59AM
    Options

I agree. The egg trays wouldn't be in the fridge if eggs weren't meant to be kept in there!

eggs-in-fridge633x319.jpg

As for potatoes... I always keep them in there; seems odd not to IMO. It preserves them. Same with fruit... and other fresh vegetables, and salad stuff...

I have left potatoes out before - in error: I left them in the pantry, and they went off within a week (it was summer and quite warm.) But in the fridge they lasted for 4 times longer.

Can't imagine why people wouldn't keep ALL short-shelf-life perishables in the fridge - if there is the room.

I'm fully aware some stuff is not in the fridge in the store; eggs, potatoes, fruit, veg etc, but the fact is, it preserves them in the fridge, so they last much longer.

Moreover, cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes and all other types of salad stuff is not in the fridge in the store, but people keep all THAT in the fridge.

Eggs will be fine outside the fridge, (as long as the temperature is not above 25C,) and they are better for baking when they are 'room temperature,' but refrigerating them definitely preserves them.

I have kept my eggs refrigerated all my life, it has never caused any issues, and I don't intend to change my ways.

Whatever, each to their own. I know what works for me.
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    Exactly fiery, it's what you're used to and what you've been brought up with. I hadn't been used to that, and I didn't know anyone who done it (was just used to seeing egg baskets out) so when I first encountered it it seemed strange to me.

Same with potatoes, they always live on the vegetable rack. Used to have carrots there too, but they now live in the fridge.

I guess they never last long enough in our house to go off anyhow, so it doesn't really matter where they're kept. :)

Ketchup and salad cream don't live in the fridge either, they just stay in the cupboard.
  • fierystormcloud
    Options
    Exactly fiery, it's what you're used to and what you've been brought up with. I hadn't been used to that, and I didn't know anyone who done it (was just used to seeing egg baskets out) so when I first encountered it it seemed strange to me.

Same with potatoes, they always live on the vegetable rack. Used to have carrots there too, but they now live in the fridge.

I guess they never last long enough in our house to go off anyhow, so it doesn't really matter where they're kept. :)

Ketchup and salad cream don't live in the fridge either, they just stay in the cupboard.

Fair enough!!! :p

See, in my house, it's only me and hubby, and we both work, so we don't always get through stuff quickly... So it's important to make sure stuff is preserved as much as poss. I mean, we can get 8 large potatoes that may last 3-4 weeks, and 6 carrots that will last 5 weeks, so we need to make sure that stuff lasts! :)

My sisters will get through that in a week, as they have kids. :)
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport