Is your fridge empty or full?

Options

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    My fridge is about 1/4 full, as I went to Tesco on the way home from work so stocked up on perishables (veg, dairy). I almost never throw food out and meat is portioned and frozen on purchase unless I'm using it in the next couple of days.

I put eggs in the fridge, it reduces the rate at which they dessicate.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Empty except for half a bag of spuds - there's no room anywhere else and they keep far longer without sprouting in there - and some milk.

It's well stocked today.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,662 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine is about half full as just me and OH at home now and I went shopping today.

I have some chicken breasts for Wednesday and Thursdays evening meal
    Leftover spaghetti Bolognese from today which we will use up tomorrow
    some sliced ham and chicken for packed lunches this week
    tub of hummus and tub of couscous
    bacon slices
    Milk, olive spread and 6 flavoured yogurts,1 large natural yogurt tub
    Goats cheese and edam cheese
    12 eggs - I get them out a few hours before using them but store them in the fridge
    lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and red pepper
    some carrots and a head of broccoli
    apples, punnet of black seedless grapes
    orange juice
    The usual assortment of jam, marmalade, mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, pickled onions, mint jelly, apple sauce and salad cream

I very rarely need to throw food away and plan meals around what is in the fridge. I tend to get meat, fish etc out of the freezer 2 days before I need it - ie the chicken breasts came out tonight. Over the years I got used to cooking for 4 and use the 500g size of meat trays usually which does us for 2 days and saves me cooking on days I am working.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My freezer is fairly well stocked and usually is. Need to start eating stuff from the freezer as space is now limited and I will do more batch cooking at the weekend so need some space for the extra.

I have milk, juice, fruit, butter, cheese, yogurts, veg and some meat in my fridge. It's only me here so that will last me for the week.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Our fridge is quite large (American style fridge freezer). We rarely waste food, even though it is usually quite full.

Without checking what else is in there, we have:

Two filter jugs with fresh water in each
    Semi-skimmed milk
    Margarine (butter is kept in butter dish on top of bread bin)
    Cheese
    Yoghurts
    Cold sliced meats (ham, chicken, pork)
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Beetroot
    Potatoes (variety of bakers, salad, and Roosters)
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Onions (red and white)
    Mayonnaise
    Salad cream
    Baby bels
    Chocolate
    Chocolate biscuits
    Oranges
    Grapes (red and white - always seedless)
    Fresh orange juice
    Bacon
    Sausages (yuk!)
    Mushrooms
    Eggs
    Apples
    Mint sauce
    Chutney
    Piccalilli (locally made - tastes gorgeous!)

Just been for a peek, and I missed

French dressing
    Sweet peppers
    Pears
    Spinach
    Sprouts

It's pretty crowded in there!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't keep my eggs in the fridge. I buy packs of 15 so have to have them out on the worktop so I don't forget to use them.

I don't put spuds in the fridge; never seen any benefit in doing so.... maybe for the next bag I should split the bag and do half/half, see which ones last best/longest.
  • pol-zeath
    Options
    I keep eggs in the fridge but will take them out to get to room temperature in the morning if I am baking later in the day. It would never occur to me to put bananas in the fridge or any fruit unless soft fruits.
  • Anatidaephobia
    Options
    Our fridge is usually nearer empty than full. After shopping, it looks full, but you could easily rearrange it all and free up a lot of space.

We have a fridge freezer; the freezer is bigger than the fridge (when shopping for it, it seemed a lot of them had a big fridge and a tiny freezer; we purposefully bought the one we found that had a larger freezer) and the freezer is always full.

I don't put tomato sauce/ketchup or chocolate in fridge. Eggs go in though, right at the back.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2016 at 11:16PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I've never thought of keeping chocolate in the fridge. :huh:

chocolate is soooo good straight out of the fridge :T.

In Summer I have my favourite nail polishes in there too.

My fridge is usually about half full, cheese, spreads, opened mayo, milk, yoghurts, fruit and salad veg, any deli stuff, and water/soft drinks.

My daughter has a habit of opening the packaging of ie multipacks of yoghurts, removing each item to eat one by one, and then leaving the packaging in there, but apart from that we're all pretty good at not opening stuff when there's already one open etc.

I don't keep eggs or potatoes in the fridge, eggs at room temp and potatoes in a cool dark cupboard.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    In Summer I have my favourite nail polishes in there too.

I keep camera films in there! Something I've grown up with as my Dad always kept all his in the fridge too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure