Reality Check...

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi there! You've had a really busy time lately! Ok you may have spent on the house what could have gone on your debt but it's finished now (I think you are a bit like me - I take a great deal of pleasure in having a home that reflects my tastes). And as you say having two incomes now is a great help.

You've also paid off some of the debt in that time and have an excellent timetable for the rest.

Time flies - can't believe little Miss Reality is nine months already! Enjoy the rest of your maternity leave.

P.S I've tried SW a couple of times - couldn't get on with it either!:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May 2018 at 8:08PM
    Options
    I couldn't remember what on earth I had spent so much money on, but forgot to add we had a log burner installed and I bought a mirror to go above it and need a fireplace that I can't find!

Time does fly by, I don't know how I will cope going back to work, but needs must but pretending it's not happening for now. I do spend far too much money decorating my house and cleaning more than the average I think, but there is nothing better to me than having a lovely house even though takes a lot of money and effort...probably makes me a right saddo but I am fine with that!

Hope everyone is enjoying this glorious weather! I can't believe with how nice it has been I have woken this morning loaded with the cold!! Came from nowhere as I was fine last night going to bed!!

Better get going Mr Reality is on his way back with an indian takeaway and I was meant to be heating the plates and sorting drinks! This is probably why the weight isn't shifting, but I am still going to blame SW for now! ;) xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • reality_check
    Options
    My sofa is ready 4 weeks early! When does this ever happen. But....I'm not ready for it! Need to call the stain gaurd people from Laura Ashley to fix something and then need to try and attempt to sell it...I am hoping the cost of selling will cover my fireplace. Must make this the top of my to do list!

I get paid on Tuesday and can't wait to set up sub accounts again and start sticking to a budget! I am away on holiday for a week but it shouldn't cost too much, all inclusive and I have a pre-loaded card with 100 euros on it so need to add a bit more but shouldn't be too much. I am not an all inclusive fan but everyone we are going with seem to be and all big drinkers so makes sense for that alone. I am hoping the food is nice, it's a lovely hotel but you just never know and may end up eating out most evenings xx
  • reality_check
    Options
    Pay day has been and gone!

£1,000 paid off for the month of May. Have made some sub accounts, but if they all end up mixed up I am fine with that, I just need to make sure no credit cards are used and I don't spend anymore money than I have.

Off on holiday next Friday for a week to Spain for a friends wedding, this sunshine is making me really look forward to enjoying the sun without having to still do housework, cook dinner etc! xxx
  • Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How you getting on reality check? X
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Yes hope all is well.
    🌟
  • reality_check
    edited 14 November 2018 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Long time no see! I am back!! Lots has changed and where has 2018 gone?! Mid November already!!

I am back at work - 4 days so not far off full time, a bit of adult conversation and making an effort with clothes and make up is good, but I am 100% cut out for the lady of leisure lifestyle, if I could afford it.

We moved house! After saying I never would move (and with the new log burner it slightly broke my heart to leave!), we decided we wanted a slightly bigger house and one that was both of ours from the start...doesn't really make much of a difference, but I had done everything to that house and was ready to decorate again! Put the house on the market and we didn't expect what happened, several offers and sold within 6 days!! Which was good until we were basically homeless as still hadn't bought as didn't know how long selling would take. In the end it just about worked out, with a 3 week cross over and we moved in with OH sister. The new house was perfect to move into. Had been renovated by previous owners who had more taste than I would ever have it so I love it!

We have joint finances, that I am in charge of...disaster waiting to happen?! Let's hope not! My OH is very good with savings and not being an impulse buyer/splurge, I am the opposite. Long gone are my designer bags and clothes days, but I am still a sucker for home stuff, perfume, make up and baby clothes! All mostly TKMAXX finds mind you, minus the perfume and make up. Although the house buying stuff has ended and we don’t need another thing, other than a mirror that I can’t find! I know what I want in my head, just can’t find one I like.

We have a credit card of approx. £10,000 and whilst we have the savings to pay it off, it is 36 months interest free, well about 33 now, so keeping it on this for now as I want to get back into the habit of coming on here and saving money. The new debt was basically from me buying a few thing that the old owners had to copy how it looked!

We are very lucky with childcare, my husbands parents take the baby (who isn't a tiny baby anymore, or a baby really!) 2 days a week, his sister 1 day and she goes to a childminder for 1 day - which costs a fortune and annoys me for 1 day never mind having to pay for more!! I considered starting a new diary, but I am sticking with this one. I still struggle with money and not going crazy and spending. This is still very much like the old me, can not buy anything for a while, then decide I am and go crazy and empty my bank account/rack up the credit cards in a few hours.

Hope you are all well! Speak soon xxx
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Welcome back you were missed!
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Yes - lovely to see you posting again!

Wow - you've had quite a bit going the last few months, but I bet your house is beautiful. I have the same sort of "sucker" list as you, but without the baby clothes! :D

Looking forward to reading about your new moneysaving lifestyle going forward!
    🌟
  • reality_check
    Options
    Aww thanks both of you :) I am going to catch up on all these diaries I follow and hope to get some inspiration!

The main way we waste money is on food! Which is quite good as that's one of the only ways to save money sometimes. We have went back to old ways and wasting a lot because I pop to the shops every day after work plus a few too many takeaways. I love how I write 'we' - I am the one responsible for making dinners/going to the shops and I am the one who 90% suggests a takeaway. The freezer is jam packed as are the cupboards so I should be able to get away with minimal food shops for a few weeks.

Annoyingly I have lost my purse!! I never lose anything and I am convinced it will show up, but it's been about 3 weeks now. Still not cancelled my cards but had the credit card out of it for some reason so been using that. I never have cash on me so doubt there would have been more than £10 in it, I am more annoyed that I paid about £550 for the purse I think which I will not be replacing. I do have nice older ones that I never got around to selling so will just need to get over it and move on!!

I am going to do those surveys again (since I am back to work, maternity leave where I had images of me doing loads every day, clearly didn't happen!!) I forget the name of it?! Tried googling it but it's not coming up?! Does anyone know the site that it's a lot of uni students doing research?! It had quite a weird name/spelling, I think.

Also going to switch energy in the next few weeks, currently with British Gas in this house and we have ordered Hive at a discount price for being a customer so when that is installed next week we are switching. In 4 years at my old house I never ever did, planned to for about 2 years yet still never done it!! Mr Marine wants to get that ring doorbell/CCTV thing installed, so I will have a look at that today in work – let’s hope my boss isn’t on here and identifies me!! I do everything but work in work it would seem! He claims it has come down in price and something worth having…anyone got it?

Have a good day xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills