My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi reality, how are you getting on? Xx
  • reality_check
    Options
    Hi everyone, long time no post. Haven't really been on this much, popped on and read the odd diary but I have so so many to catch up on. A lot has been happening, my mum has been in and out of hospital twice, but better than she's been in a long time after her last visit so that's a bonus. I am also getting work done on my house, replacing all the skirting boards for lovely high ones, getting a log burner put in, deocrating and new carpets everywhere, new radiators and non of this is MSE and a few credit card purchases... I seem to be wasting money again, so at least I have something to show for my money after this and I will tackle bringing the debt down again. Most has been cash purchases, but the odd trip to the white company isn't bringing this debt down,

My friends hen is this weekend, she and the 19 others going on it are DRIVING ME INSANE!!! 19 opinionated females is not an easy task!! It also my daughters 21st next week, so we are just about organsied for that...can't believe I have a 21 year old!!

Need to try and get back in the swing of posted on here again, my instagram obsession has been taking over my life but not good for the purse strings and hard to remember all those perfect squares people post are not a reflection on their life but it's hard not to compare yourself.

I am also on the hunt for a replica of this - http://www.thewhitecompany.com/uk/Hampstead-Wool-Sofa/p/hampstead-sofa-wool?swatch=Light+Grey+Wool if anyone knows of any.

My diet has also went out the window, espeically with the state of my house and al the work going on, we've been eating far too many takeaways. Went to TGI's last night and was reminded of how vile it is, waste of money!

Anyway, this is enough moaning and confessions for one post. I am away from tomorrrow but hopefully back to posting regulary and trying to keep myself of the straight and narrow. Hope you are all well xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Glad to see you back posting!

Just a very quick post as I'm in work and will read diaries more fully tonight, but you could try sofa.com - see this below:

https://www.sofa.com/gb/sofas/Sofas-on-legs/Oscar/p/FSOSC130HBWPUM

Hope the link works - the sofa is in is the Oscar range. I bought my own sofa and armchair from them and was really pleased. Quite a bit cheaper than the White Company and they have a good swatch range.

SSGx
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hi Reality - I'm so pleased your mum has recovered well. Must have been a worrying time for you all.

Your house must look quite the palace! What you have done sounds lovely. At least most of your improvements have been funded by cash so that is a plus! White Company can be a money pit though. I love it - though not so much their diffusers now which don't seem to hold their aroma for long anymore. I received a Neom diffuser as a Christmas present - they're not particularly cheap but this one's holding its scent well.

Agree with you about diet! Mine has gone totally awol over the last weeks so going to make a concerted effort to do something about it next week!

Enjoy your hen party - it sounds like it's going to be, ahem, rather noisy!:D

Hope all is well with little Miss Reality. She must be getting big now.

SSG x
    🌟
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March 2018 at 10:52AM
    Options
    Thanks! I had a look on there before, but glad i've went back...that is the only place that could be a serial contender for the white company one. I've also went off the diffusers, Jo Malone too since she sold the company def isn't as good and not worth the money. I've had a Neom candle before so will look into diffusers. The best diffusers I've ever had was this one - https://maxbenjamin.co.uk/uk/our-products/fragrance-diffusers/classic-diffusers/dodici-diffuser smells so nice, like a good looking man so quite aftershavey.

I am NEVER decorating again!! I currently have 2 bedroom worth of belongings in my kitchen!! Even my bath is now full of stuff. It is driving me insane. My dad is doing most of the work and isn't charging me so I can't exactly rush him too much. We are currently sleeping on a mattress as had to dismantle the bed last night.

I am joining Slimming World tonight in attempt to get rid of this last stone. Clearly fad diets work then make me gain in all back + a few pounds. Let's see how this goes...I've never joined before, but my sister has and I cook a lot of their version of evening meals.

And yeah little Miss Reality is getting big! I don't know where the last 8 months have went!! xxx
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    I'll have to do some digging into the Max Benjamin range reality to see where they are sold so I can have a sniff! The Amalfi range sounds rather nice - I'm thinking fresh sea air and lemons!

I feel your pain with the decorating and everything everywhere! I'm planning on having a new kitchen later on in the year and actually dreading all the upheaval in my small flat! I bought a new fridge recently and it's going to have to go into the living room when the renovation starts - along with all the contents of the kitchen cupboards - there's nowhere else to store anything!

Hope all goes well with Slimming World!
    🌟
  • reality_check
    Options
    I'm back! Hadn't been on this for months and then my account was locked for weeks!! I sent loads of emails and tried resetting my password a million times, but oh well, I'm back in action now xxx
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Hey rc! Sounds like you had similar account problems to me -- except I gave up without sending emails ;) Hope things are going well :)
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
  • reality_check
    edited 3 May 2018 at 2:30PM
    Options
    Nobody replied to my emails anyway ABA, so you didn't miss out not emailing!

I really need to get back into the swing of things and sorting my money out. Everything in my life is on track apart from my finances...and I am def old enough to have sorted them by now, you would think! Strange how you can be so focused (well ok I've never been 100% there but pretty good at times!) and then change to being so frivolous.

So far this year I have decorated my entire house - painted everywhere, plastered a few ceilings I never done when it was all originally done when I moved in, new carpets throughout, new front door, tiled steps in my garden (well paid for but not actually been done!) bought a new bed + mattress, new bedside tables for 2 rooms, ordered a new sofa and spent a small fortune in TKMAXX on bedding, lamps, new duvets + pillows for all beds, and extra things that just fall into your hands in TKMAXX, had a repair done on my roof, booked and paid for 2 holidays, ordered a new car (heavily discounted with now) - none of that list was essential, I just got into serious spending mode.

Bonus is I have somehow paid £1,000 off my debt, but did pay out about £4,000ish for my half of the stuff to the house/holidays - does make a difference having someone to split stuff with for once again. Makes you think though that had I not done all the home stuff (which 90% was not needed) I could have had around £5,000 paid off and only £2,000 left not £6,000.

I am still on maternity leave but Mr Reality has been topping up my wages to full time and we now split all the bills so hasnt really been a frugal maternity. It has been far off it, too many coffee and cake dates, lunches out and takeaways. Little baby Reality has just turned 9 months and I have 9lb to get back to pre baby weight. I did previously have 7lb and I think I am one of the few people who GAINED weight with slimming world!! Safe to say that has ended!!

I am back to work in September, 14 months off in total by the time I go back and I know this has been such a luxury and I am so grateful to have been able to. The debt plan until then is, £1,000 a month (apart from August as I have 2 holidays so not here) starting from May.

May to December this is my plan -

May - £1,000 for debt
    June - £1,000 for debt
    July - £1,000 for debt
    August - £1,000 used for holiday spending
    September - £1,000 for debt
    October - £1,000 for debt
    November - £1,000 used for all of Christmas/December treats
    December - £1,000 for debt

So...all being well my debt will be gone by December!! The £1,000 comes from my wages (normally commission tops it up, right now my OH is) and I have started to make some money from Instagram, not loads, but has increased each month. All the money spent on the house has helped increase my followers/income.

Can't wait to get paid and start coming on here and posting/reading other diaries as helps keep me on the straight and narrow. Bit of a long post so better get going, hope everyone is well xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family