Where to start? sons USA girlfriend wants to move to UK to be with him.

Options
hannahp
hannahp Posts: 930 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 19 January 2016 at 11:27AM in Marriage, relationships & families
Where should I start?

My son has asked for my help in researching how his USA girlfriend can move to the UK to be with him.

They have been online friends for many years & have had a few visits with each other for reasonable periods of time to see how they 'rub along' and it has all gone the way they want it too.

So the facts are she has no savings but is able to work (although not currently qualified in anything particular) she was training to be an Art therapist but a car accident put a temporary halt to that & we are not sure if her qualification (if she completes the course) would be recognised here!

He is unable to work as he has a disability that prevents him (& has no savings either) He would make a good house husband & father & be able to keep house while she worked though.

So where to start to help young loves be together?

Edit/Addition 19/01/16
I would like to thank the helpful people of this forum, as there have been some useful contributions.

What is not useful & could be deemed bigoted or patronising are comments regarding my sons abilities or the 'hard-work' type comments of 'raising a family'

To Clarify the position:-
my son was diagnosed just before the age of 20 with high functioning Autism (despite my years of asking health professionals why was he 'different' to the other 3 boys I had raised?)

He did get a couple of jobs when he first left school but had enormous difficulty in understanding (because of his condition) what the people he worked with & the job needed from him , until eventually he hurt himself doing his job due to having misunderstood a Health & Safety at work rule/instruction! (leaving him with long term injuries that have had a negative effect on his health for years!) It was as this point he finally got a diagnosis as a co-worker spotted the symptoms that go with my sons condition.

He is a loving and caring person & I don't know for sure how well equipped he is for raising a family but he would have my support, his brothers & the woman who loves him and would give it his all.
You only need to look up & down high streets to see many people do a poor job of parenting and apparently oblivious (or couldn't care less) to the importance of doing a good job and I know my son wouldn't be one of them.

So please can anyone who is able or has experience of this dilemma continue to contribute as I really appreciate it and those who just have a comment about disability or capability perhaps save yourself the bother.
:happylove Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. :happylove

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As he doesn't have a job a spousal visa wouldn't be considered if she was already living in the UK. What visa has she applied for, tier five?
  • emmatthews
    Options
    If he is capable of running a home & raising a child, is there no type of job that he would be able to do in order to save some money?

I am happy to stand corrected, but I think that your son would have to prove he has the means to support her.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hannahp wrote: »
    Where should I start?

My son has asked for my help in researching how his USA girlfriend can move to the UK to be with him.

They have been online friends for many years & have had a few visits with each other for reasonable periods of time to see how they 'rub along' and it has all gone the way they want it too.

So the facts are she has no savings but is able to work (although not currently qualified in anything particular) she was training to be an Art therapist but a car accident put a temporary halt to that & we are not sure if her qualification (if she completes the course) would be recognised here!

He is unable to work as he has a disability that prevents him (& has no savings either) He would make a good house husband & father & be able to keep house while she worked though.

So where to start to help young loves be together?

Nothing against your son but this government wants to reduce immigration and your son's girlfriend is an easy target.

I know someone going through this and the UK partner needs to earn £18,600 per year to earn enough to have their non-EU partner live with them in the UK. Having £62,500 of savings having been held for a minimum of 6 months would also qualify.

Even if he gets a qualifying disability payment he will need enough savings to adequately support them both without claiming a means tested benefit. PIP's aren't means tested but income based ESA is.

Visa's and solicitors will cost thousands so get them prepared to shell out for them. As they have no savings it's unlikely to go any further.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    emmatthews wrote: »
    If he is capable of running a home & raising a child, is there no type of job that he would be able to do in order to save some money?

I am happy to stand corrected, but I think that your son would have to prove he has the means to support her.

Soon to be £35k!
  • Littlebettyboop
    Options
    I have to agree with the other here hannahp sorry. I don't think she would be allowed to come here, from what you have said.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    There's a poster called Muttley the Frog who has recently been through the process. He's on benefits due to mental ill health and his partner moved from (I think) Mexico. They got married though which probably makes a difference. You could try PMing him for more information.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This might be helpful - http://www.uk-yankee.com/guide/expat-guide-uk/moving-uk. There are firums on that site specifically for immigration quetions.

However, unless your son's friend can qualify in her own right to come to the country, I think she is going to struggle.
    For a family visa (i.e. for her to come into the country as his partner) I think that they would have to show that they were married, had lived together for 2 years or were engaged, that they have appropriate accommodation, as well as the financial requirements.

I can't comment on whether her art therapy qualifications will be accepted here but I suspect that she would find it a fairly crowded market, and not particularly well paid.

I suspect that she would struggle to qualify for entry on the basis of her relationship with your son.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Where are they planning to live, and what are they planning to live on whilst she has children?

There is a great difference between a few extended holidays and living together.
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    Would it be just as difficult for him to move over there?
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 January 2016 at 3:10PM
    Options
    I don't know if it's an urban myth, a legit loophole or a closed loophole, but I've heard rumours that some couples (UK citizen and non-European) get around the income rules by getting married in Europe, conferring EU citizenship on the non-EU spouse which then means an automatic right to reside in the UK without any of the conditionality that comes with foreign birth.

Sorry if I am merely perpetrating a false rumour. I don't usually post hearsay but I am just too tired to do the internet research on it to find out if its true or not.

EDIT - this is known as the 'Surinder Singh route', there's been another case since then, don't believe it requires the non-EEA family member to gain EU based citizenship either, just co-habitation with the UK partner in another EU state with perhaps the UK partner living there a minimum period of time, perhaps proof of employment (not certain on this element though).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure