Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* - Page 136

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
2.6K replies 801.2K views

Replies

• sarahj1986sarahj1986 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Tried the Aldi orange miniatures (like Terry's chocolate orange) must say they are very good. They taste exactly the same to Terry's chocolate orange. We go away next week for two weeks, when we get back I'll be needing washing done so I'll try the Almat range then
    :money::rotfl::T
  • VeGGie-STyLeVeGGie-STyLe Forumite
    158 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    Had the Aldi lamb rogan josh this evening and it was tasty, plenty of meat.

Can you remember how much it cost?
    It's one of my favourite meals, so just wondering if it's much cheaper than other supermarkets or not.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you remember how much it cost?
    It's one of my favourite meals, so just wondering if it's much cheaper than other supermarkets or not.

I think it's £2.50-2.79 - about 50p cheaper than the main supermarkets
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldi bog-standard-basic Jaffa cakes are down to 31p/12. Its been a long time since I had a Jaffa cake, so in the spirit of advent I thought I'd try them. They are lovely and light, a bit on the dry side but great with a cuppa :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    I have another in the freezer...

I now have FOUR in my freezer!:p:rotfl:
    Was in Lidl yesterday. They do mixed cases such as their Skyr, cottage cheese. Things like nuts, dried herbs are in their own cases.

I buy almonds, walnuts and brazils in Aldi as DH likes them on his muesli (which incidentally is Lidl's luxury in the blue bags:D). For some reason the nuts with the 'health' foods (near cereal and free from stuff) are cheaper per kg than those in the home baking. These nuts are mixed up in a case.

ETA: It's also cheaper per kg to buy sugar snaps and baby sweetcorn in a mixed tray than separately.
  • just_tryingjust_trying Forumite
    1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi now have specially selected muffins in various flavours, I can't say I've tried them, not had a chance as soon as I buy them there gone. In Aldi yesterday night just one packet left..lemon curd and white chocolate. They've been available about 2 weeks I know blueberry and lemon are amazing according to others. There about £1.40 for 2 but supposedly excellent, well 1 packet left yesterday.
  • PLRFDPLRFD Forumite
    916 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just been to Aldi open at 10:30 for browsing and tills open at 11 ? 20 minuets waiting in a queue I won't get back.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Just been to Aldi open at 10:30 for browsing and tills open at 11 ? 20 minuets waiting in a queue I won't get back.

Unlikely to be Aldi's fault. Blame local rules governing Sunday opening times. Other supermarkets operate a similar 'browsing' policy.
  • PLRFDPLRFD Forumite
    916 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The Sainsburys 200 yards away opens at 10 without problems,forgot to say Aldi's Nespresso compatible coffee pods are from a different manufacturer now and they work well where as the first ones many months ago didn't,the packaging isn't so good though because of how they open a serrated front opening most were open at the front I suspect by just being put on the shelf,also got some of their own brand "Newcastle Brown" in the freezer to chill will report back later.
  • dlusmandlusman Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    PLRFD wrote: »
    The Sainsburys 200 yards away opens at 10 without problems,.

It isnt the opening time that is restricted . It is the length of opening
    - which is maximum of 6 hours. You will probably find your Aldi closes at 5pm , but the Sainsburys at 4.
    As Mr Badger said - lots of stores open their doors early on Sunday , before they are legally allowed to sell stuff
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support