Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* - Page 133

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
2.6K replies 784.6K views

Replies

• Crisps87Crisps87 Forumite
    15 posts
    The SS Aberdeen Angus mince - priced on the shelf at £3.09, went through the till at £2.29! Bargain! The equivalent own brand premium mince elsewhere is around £4!
  • robrymondrobrymond Forumite
    610 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Gone are the years of a quiet evening mooching the shelves for reduced items (about 5-6 years ago) as now every evening it seems busy. We've shopped on Mondays for years but lately it is busy all day long on Monday and the shelves are bare.

Tuesday seems a bit quieter in the day and at evening too. Sundays is just bedlam usually, but the checkouts move quick as all 7 are open and they don't move off them. Saturday evenings are also dead but there is little left.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    robrymond wrote: »
    Gone are the years of a quiet evening mooching the shelves for reduced items (about 5-6 years ago) as now every evening it seems busy. We've shopped on Mondays for years but lately it is busy all day long on Monday and the shelves are bare.

Tuesday seems a bit quieter in the day and at evening too. Sundays is just bedlam usually, but the checkouts move quick as all 7 are open and they don't move off them. Saturday evenings are also dead but there is little left.
    There has been a noticeable trend away from a weekly shop for some demographics since the economy picked up. Younger workers without families will head to a supermarket on the way home, looking for good quality ready meals / food that is fresh and quick to prepare, it's a daily reward for a hard day's work. (I noticed this one evening in M&S Simply Food quite some time ago, when the chap in front of me in the queue spent the best part of £15 on what looked like one evening meal. He was covered head-to-toe in builder's plaster: I on the other hand was suit-ed and buying YS cheese :D).

Sundays I think are the days when busy working families bring their children to the [STRIKE]playground[/STRIKE] supermarket.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mcculloch29mcculloch29 Forumite
    5K posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    I checked my local Aldi's busy times - apparently hardly anyone shops before 10 am. Including me, I may change this..
    I shop early evenings at mine, when I've finished my body of work for the day usually. It's never busy, but seldom quiet Mon-Wed. I avoid Thu-Sat shopping at this store.

When I had access to DS's car we would sometimes shop at 8.30 pm, after he had finished work, the store was always very quiet, regardless of the day.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • edited 27 April 2017 at 3:54PM
    MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2017 at 3:54PM
    Got to Aldi around 2pm today, was steady but not overly busy. Got a couple of the lamb rogan josh that seem to be popular on here.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    Got to Aldi around 2pm today, was steady but not overly busy. Got a couple of the lamb rogan josh that seem to be popular on here.

Hope you've left some for me tomorrow!

They're really lovely. I hope you enjoy them too.
  • skintmumof3skintmumof3 Forumite
    803 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Bought a packet of Aldis` new frozen steam rice in Indian and Morrocan inspired flavours 2 packs for 99p. Just tried the Indian inspired and its really tasty.......enough for 2 people in one pack as an addition to a curry dish.....
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Morrocan one is very nice, too.
    Ex Board Guide
  • 2childmum2childmum Forumite
    240 posts
    I shop before 10 (usually about 8.30)at Aldi and yes it is quiet but quite often they are still stocking shelves and I have to keep going around waiting for different things to arrive on the shelves (mainly fruit and veg) but as I go after dropping DD at school it's more convenient than going home and then going out again later.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • ljonskiljonski Forumite
    3.3K posts
    can anyone provide a link on Aldis website for rogan josh as i was in today and couldn't find any and nothing is showing on their website! thanks
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support