Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* - Page 135

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
2.6K replies 784.6K views

Replies

• VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought these on 1/2 price offer at the weekend, thinking they would be a cut above the bog standard cheese and onion:
    1565i0CF365F3413F250A?v=1.0

How wrong I was, they are soooo salty they are making my tastebuds ache :(
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mentioned this some time ago that with different flavours/meals/types in the same case - all with the same barcode isn't a good way for Aldi to see which flavours etc are doing well.

Whenever I've looked at such items they've had different barcodes. They may appear the same on the receipt, but it's inconceivable that Aldi don't have a record of how many of each they have sold.
    Stompa
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mentioned this some time ago that with different flavours/meals/types in the same case - all with the same barcode isn't a good way for Aldi to see which flavours etc are doing well. I have routed through five cases of one line - to find the only flavour I like.

I would be interested if mixed cases cause more waste - esp in the fresh section. As if they knew the sales figures of each flavour etc, they would either drop the poor selling ones or reduce the proportion of the it

I'd be interested to know whether the cases always start off with equal numbers of each variety or they fill them up with what they have. The boxes were full of chicken jalfrezi (on both sides) but that could have been an assistant (or a customer;)) tidying up.

It's not just the recent curry shortage, I spend time every week wading through (not literally:D) flavoured cottage cheese to get to the plain pots.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    maman wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know whether the cases always start off with equal numbers of each variety or they fill them up with what they have. The boxes were full of chicken jalfrezi (on both sides) but that could have been an assistant (or a customer;)) tidying up.

It's not just the recent curry shortage, I spend time every week wading through (not literally:D) flavoured cottage cheese to get to the plain pots.

The flavours etc are equal. So in a case of 36 - there are 12 or 18 of each, depending if a case has 2 or 3 different things. As seen a colleague opening cases.
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had the Aldi lamb rogan josh this evening and it was tasty, plenty of meat.
  • jhgkpjhgkp Forumite
    90 posts
    Annoys me the mixed cases.

I am diabetic and for a treat I like greek yogurt with some frozen berrys (defrosted). The greek yogurt used to come in 1kg tubs but that is another matter. I like to get the full fat one as it has less it has less carbs than the low fat one and the low fat one is very watery IMO.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mixed cases are just another means by which L&A save money to pass on in reduced prices.

The savings in managing, say, 2000 stock lines instead of 4000 must be significant.

I think they must listen & respond. I used to have a lot of difficulty finding Lidl Chicken & Veg Cuppa Soup in amongst a sea of the not so nice Minestrone. Recently, though, the cases seem to be three rows of equal numbers of the three varieties. Much better.
    Ex Board Guide
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    Had the Aldi lamb rogan josh this evening and it was tasty, plenty of meat.

Don't rub it in!!:p
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have another in the freezer...
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Was in Lidl yesterday. They do mixed cases such as their Skyr, cottage cheese. Things like nuts, dried herbs are in their own cases.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support