Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* - Page 137

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
2.6K replies 801.2K views
1134135137139140263

Replies

  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    dlusman wrote: »
    It isnt the opening time that is restricted . It is the length of opening
    - which is maximum of 6 hours. You will probably find your Aldi closes at 5pm , but the Sainsburys at 4

    Quite right. the restrictions don't apply to some sectors (for example garden centers) but supermarkets have to play by the rules. Even Sainsbury's.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    With supermarkets and garden centres, it's more to do with size than type of business:

    Small shops in England and Wales can open any day or hour. There are no trading hours restrictions in Scotland. [A small shop is one that measures up to and including 280 square metres.]

    Large shops [over 280 square metre] in England and Wales
    can open on Sundays but only for 6 consecutive hours between 10am and 6pm and must close on Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

    Shops exempt from the Sunday trading restrictions for large shops include:
    airport and railway station outlets
    service station outlets
    registered pharmacies selling only medicinal products and medical and surgical appliances
    farms selling mainly their own produce
    outlets wholly or mainly selling motor or bicycle supplies and accessories
    suppliers of goods to aircraft or sea-going vessels on arrival at, or departure from, a port, harbour or airport
    exhibition stands selling goods


    Given the tiny number of practicing Christians in this country, it's a great shame that that tiny minority is successfully able to dictate to the rest of us when we can shop!
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Just been to Aldi open at 10:30 for browsing and tills open at 11 ? 20 minuets waiting in a queue I won't get back.


    I went to Aldi's once on a Sunday. It was manic, with people queuing up the aisles to pay despite all check outs open.


    If that's the only time you can get there then you have my sympathy otherwise I'd recommend late afternoon when parents are collecting children from school.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve are both on Sunday this year. Still only six hours of trade. So no buying stuff at 6am on Christmas Eve and popping in at 6:30pm on NYE to buy your champagne on way to friend's where you are celebrating the new year.

    We haven't had one since 2006 - I wasn't working in retail then. It was missed because of leap years

    I remember when 23/12 was on a Sunday. Got abuse from customers on why we weren't able to serve until 10am. Then got abuse from them at 4pm when we escorted them to the tills.

    It would make sense if they relaxed the Sunday trade laws on the last Sunday or two before Christmas. Instead of six hours, nine hours. Latest 6pm.
  • mcculloch29mcculloch29 Forumite
    5K posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    PLRFD wrote: »
    The Sainsburys 200 yards away opens at 10 without problems,forgot to say Aldi's Nespresso compatible coffee pods are from a different manufacturer now and they work well where as the first ones many months ago didn't,the packaging isn't so good though because of how they open a serrated front opening most were open at the front I suspect by just being put on the shelf,also got some of their own brand "Newcastle Brown" in the freezer to chill will report back later.

    To be honest, I think a lot of people open the capsule boxes just to check the type of capsule, probably because they can't remember the name of their machine.
    The old Nespresso compatible capsules were in narrow square tubes and there were always some of the tubes open in my store.
    The old Aldi capsules worked ok in my machine, which is a Krups Pixie Clips. The ones that didn't were Taylor's, one of them nearly broke the machine. So much for a leading brand name (they make Yorkshire Tea and really good filter coffee).

    The new capsules are great, but I'd love them to do a decaff again,
    I live in hope.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you remember how much it cost?
    It's one of my favourite meals, so just wondering if it's much cheaper than other supermarkets or not.


    Sorry I didn't reply before now, TBH I can't remember how much it was but I see another poster has replied with some prices.
  • robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    I am not Christian but an Atheist.

    But even I like a time when the supermarkets etc. don't have thier tills constantly ringing.

    Nothing is that important that a supermarket must be open 24 hours a day. Just learn to live without or buy it when you do your shop. Can't be that hard to figure out when your milk will run out.
    Doc_N wrote: »
    With supermarkets and garden centres, it's more to do with size than type of business:

    Small shops in England and Wales can open any day or hour. There are no trading hours restrictions in Scotland. [A small shop is one that measures up to and including 280 square metres.]

    Large shops [over 280 square metre] in England and Wales
    can open on Sundays but only for 6 consecutive hours between 10am and 6pm and must close on Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

    Shops exempt from the Sunday trading restrictions for large shops include:
    airport and railway station outlets
    service station outlets
    registered pharmacies selling only medicinal products and medical and surgical appliances
    farms selling mainly their own produce
    outlets wholly or mainly selling motor or bicycle supplies and accessories
    suppliers of goods to aircraft or sea-going vessels on arrival at, or departure from, a port, harbour or airport
    exhibition stands selling goods


    Given the tiny number of practicing Christians in this country, it's a great shame that that tiny minority is successfully able to dictate to the rest of us when we can shop!
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    robin58 wrote: »
    I am not Christian but an Atheist.

    But even I like a time when the supermarkets etc. don't have thier tills constantly ringing.

    Nothing is that important that a supermarket must be open 24 hours a day. Just learn to live without or buy it when you do your shop. Can't be that hard to figure out when your milk will run out.

    I work in retail and I always get from customers, the same question asked about 50 times before a bank holiday "Are you open on Monday?"

    I reply with "Yes - closing an hour earlier and by law the only two days we have to close in Easter Sunday and Christmas Day"

    About five years ago, I worked Good Friday. Remember a customer with £30 odd of gardening stuff in her trolley saying to me and a few colleagues 'I think its a disgrace that you are open today". We all thought if you think its a disgrace, what the hell are you doing in a shop?

    If you disagree with shops open on a certain day, then stay away from them as a 'protest'. For example, I am against Boxing Day opening and stay clear of shops then. Fortunately, we can book it off, unlike some retailers. I bet those who visit the shops on Boxing Day have NEVER worked in retail.
  • PLRFDPLRFD Forumite
    916 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well Aldi's version of Newcastle Brown gets a 7/10 not quite as good as the proper thing but for about 30p a bottle cheaper I will stick with NB.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dlusman wrote: »
    It isnt the opening time that is restricted . It is the length of opening
    - which is maximum of 6 hours. You will probably find your Aldi closes at 5pm , but the Sainsburys at 4.
    As Mr Badger said - lots of stores open their doors early on Sunday , before they are legally allowed to sell stuff
    Trading refers to the transactional element of the sale, e.g. funds changing hands. Not the filling of the trolley, salesman buttering you up etc.
    It would make sense if they relaxed the Sunday trade laws on the last Sunday or two before Christmas. Instead of six hours, nine hours. Latest 6pm.
    I might have a little sympathy for this view if Christmas wasn't a fixed date and a paid holiday! It's not as if it's a surprise, or that people can't prepare for Christmas, buy food online etc.

    Talking about Christmas before summer has started (me included!) :o:o:o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support