Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

RBS brace for a “cataclysmic year”

Options

Comments

• wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    Generali wrote: »
    It's the best way to invest IMHO. If you try to time the market you will inevitably get it wrong and most small investors that take an active approach end up buying high and selling low.

I put $800 into my pension every fortnight (I am paid fortnightly) come rain or shine. The lower the stock market is the more future dividends I can buy with my $800.

I hope it's the best way way to invest because I'm a boring one trick pony. I assume, give or take, every £100 I invest will give me £4/ year income for life. That's it.

The hardest thing I have to do is avoid the noise from people who just 'know' the market will tank, dividends will cease and whatever I've invested in is wrong.

I'm gutted prices have increased by 10% in a week. Stockmarkets have a sale and its doom and gloom; Apple have a sale and an orderly queue forms. Don't get it.
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    I hope it's the best way way to invest because I'm a boring one trick pony. I assume, give or take, every £100 I invest will give me £4/ year income for life. That's it.

The hardest thing I have to do is avoid the noise from people who just 'know' the market will tank, dividends will cease and whatever I've invested in is wrong.

I'm gutted prices have increased by 10% in a week. Stockmarkets have a sale and its doom and gloom; Apple have a sale and an orderly queue forms. Don't get it.

I get pretty gloomy when shares go down because I earn less money as the company I work for makes less money. For most people you're right though.
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's the best way to invest IMHO. If you try to time the market you will inevitably get it wrong and most small investors that take an active approach end up buying high and selling low.

I put $800 into my pension every fortnight (I am paid fortnightly) come rain or shine. The lower the stock market is the more future dividends I can buy with my $800.

It is the safest way to invest. However, my anecdotal story is that I have made good returns over a period of time by buying when I thought it was value rather than trickling in. For a long time I was also not even in tracker funds but in individual names and that also paid off handsomely (overall, I lost a lot of certain sectors).

I've now decreased my risk profile and moved almost everything into ETFs due to change in my work strategy but I will stick to the timing rather than time strategy (against most conventional wisdom). As long as I can get around 3% returns on cash while waiting I believe this is more lucrative for me.
  • Generali
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mwpt wrote: »
    It is the safest way to invest. However, my anecdotal story is that I have made good returns over a period of time by buying when I thought it was value rather than trickling in. For a long time I was also not even in tracker funds but in individual names and that also paid off handsomely (overall, I lost a lot of certain sectors).

I've now decreased my risk profile and moved almost everything into ETFs due to change in my work strategy but I will stick to the timing rather than time strategy (against most conventional wisdom). As long as I can get around 3% returns on cash while waiting I believe this is more lucrative for me.

Either you're a lot brighter or a lot luckier than me! Glad to see you making money though.

I'll stick to my 'coffee can' investment technique.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,146 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Either you're a lot brighter or a lot luckier than me! Glad to see you making money though.

That's the problem with believing in efficient markets, there is no way you can use past prices to predict future price movements and you need to have extra information that is not generally known to consider a stock to be miss-priced.
    I think....
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 February 2016 at 3:01PM
    Options

I once got an update from my ISA provider which included some blurb on something entitled 'best days'. It said they had found 'best days' to be invested were very rare, perhaps a handful or so of them in a decade and that if you were out of a fund on those days it made a critical negative difference to returns.

Essentially it was making the case for steady drip fed investing as you do, not trying to be a time trader.

You said something once which I've had in my mind ever since; 'Get rich slowly (I think it was you?). I love this sentiment.

I would suggest some people forget they are in effect a business owner, when they own shares / units, and like a business owner should see it through, not try and sell the stall every time they hear a rumour or hear the rumble of guns.

I'm circumspect when it comes to all these folk online that claim to time the market well. Reason being, a heck of a lot of professional full time managers do not make the claims these people do.
  • Generali
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    I once got an update from my ISA provider which included some blurb on something entitled 'best days'. It said they had found 'best days' to be invested were very rare, perhaps a handful or so of them in a decade and that if you were out of a fund on those days it made a critical negative difference to returns.

Essentially it was making the case for steady drip fed investing as you do, not trying to be a time trader.

You said something once which I've had in my mind ever since; 'Get rich slowly (I think it was you?). I love this sentiment.

That is something I say although I can't claim credit for it (actually I can claim credit for it if I lie but I don't want to do that!).

Getting rich slowly is the way forward. I've been trying to give a young adult advice on managing money. Save a bit each week, spend less than you earn and diversify is what I landed on.
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 February 2016 at 4:58PM
    Options

As is correct for most people.

But I'm willing to take a little more risk with buying into what my lucky dice roll guesses perceive to be the dips, and then just sit and hold. I won't ever hit the bottom of the market but that doesn't matter because I don't try to sell and buy back in, I just buy. It's not that different to trickling in really.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    you need to have extra information that is not generally known to consider a stock to be miss-priced.

Ideally you need to follow particular sectors or companies very closely. As it's not necessarily "inside" information. But understanding the impact of unrelated external events. That will influence the financial performance.
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Ideally you need to follow particular sectors or companies very closely. As it's not necessarily "inside" information. But understanding the impact of unrelated external events. That will influence the financial performance.

I take the view that investment funds already employ people cleverer than me who have a better insight into the impact of events on businesses.

The low cost trackers I hold have outperformed most of these funds most of the time. The performance of my boring buy and hold dividend shares over the years makes even a dunce like me look like a star performer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport