Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

RBS brace for a “cataclysmic year”

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Generali wrote: »
    The big difference between 1986 and today is that in 1986 the US Dollar was falling whereas now it's rising in value.

As a result, the fall in the oil price in not-US Dollars is not as great.

Same issue of over supply. North Sea rigs turned off production.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I remember 1986. It was very cataclysmic.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FTSE 100 below 5700 briefly again.

Anyone got a target price on the FTSE 100 / 250 at which point they'll buy more? I'm at about the correct shares vs cash position now but todays lows are starting to encourage me to take on more risk.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    mwpt wrote: »
    Anyone got a target price on the FTSE 100 / 250 at which point they'll buy more? I'm at about the correct shares vs cash position now but todays lows are starting to encourage me to take on more risk.

Do you juggle with knives as a hobby?
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    FTSE 100 below 5700 briefly again.

I buy more every month.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    FTSE up close to 10% since last Thursday, and no Graham_Devon thread about it. :)
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    FTSE up close to 10% since last Thursday, and no Graham_Devon thread about it. :)

Just for the record, I did not buy for some more at the 5600 level I was looking at. Oh well.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »

Reporting season set soon to be in full swing. Plenty of juicy final dividends on offer. Let's see how the index fares come early summer.
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    Just for the record, I did not buy for some more at the 5600 level I was looking at. Oh well.

I did but only to mop up some dividends and a tax rebate.

My only bet is share prices will rise over the long term so, apart from the odd punt, I don't time the market. Every month and bonus I buy a piece of the market.
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    I did but only to mop up some dividends and a tax rebate.

My only bet is share prices will rise over the long term so, apart from the odd punt, I don't time the market. Every month and bonus I buy a piece of the market.

It's the best way to invest IMHO. If you try to time the market you will inevitably get it wrong and most small investors that take an active approach end up buying high and selling low.

I put $800 into my pension every fortnight (I am paid fortnightly) come rain or shine. The lower the stock market is the more future dividends I can buy with my $800.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport