Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

RBS brace for a “cataclysmic year”

Options

Comments

• Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    luvpump wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/davos/12108569/World-faces-wave-of-epic-debt-defaults-fears-central-bank-veteran.html#disqus_thread

With printed money almost used up, & interest rates at nearly zero.. no more ammo left, except even more QE .

Ah yes, AEP. The man who successfully predicted 185 of the last 1 recessions.

He really is just the economics version of Katie Hopkins.
  • luvpump
    luvpump Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January 2016 at 1:43PM
    Options
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only if it doesn't last too long...

I'm taking the comments of very senior economists on board here when I say they are warning that oil could very soon hit "infection point" for the US. This will see a much grater risk of financial risks to the US economy and, via that, hit consumers in other ways.

The second point which we should be mindful of is that the lower prices hit the most volitile countries the hardest. Russia, Lybia, Iraq etc. Again, this could heighten tensions.

In terms of the UK as a whole and the EU? Yer, it's good news for consumer spending power. So long as something else isn't toppled.

In terms of my pocket - it's great.

This is something to consider. In particular there is a large fracking "bubble" with companies leveraged to the max on the promise of high returns, at these levels they are making a loss on each barrel of oil produced, the longer that goes on the higher the chance of the bubble bursting and we know how quick a crash in one area in the US can spread world wide

But yes for individuals short term cheaper oil/petrol/goods/gas/electric etc is good news

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    This is something to consider. In particular there is a large fracking "bubble" with companies leveraged to the max on the promise of high returns, at these levels they are making a loss on each barrel of oil produced, the longer that goes on the higher the chance of the bubble bursting and we know how quick a crash in one area in the US can spread world wide

There's one loser when leveraged companies go bust. The banks. The assets and infrastructure still exist so still have a value to someone at the right price. The banks at least then make a partial recovery.
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    Options
    Another doom story:
    http://blogs.channel4.com/paul-mason-blog/governments-tackle-unsustainable-global-economic-trends/4336
    We dug ourselves out of the 2008 abyss, where people, companies and governments were looking at bankruptcy, with three forms of life support.

First, quantitative easing. China, USA, Britain, Japan and – after a 5 year delay caused by German resistance – the Eurozone have created a total of $12 trillion of money that did not previously exist. That turned investing into a one way bet and revived the price of everything on earth except wages.

Got to love one way bets.
  • luvpump
    Options
    mwpt wrote: »
    So the FTSE isnt down to 2012 levels then ?
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    Options
    luvpump wrote: »
    So the FTSE isnt down to 2012 levels then ?

Oh, I'm not making much of a statement. I think the whole world has been screwed by bad incentives since... well, not sure exactly, but certainly the incentives worsened since 2008.

I just do enjoy reading all the opposing views, as if anyone really knows what's going to happen. I know risky debt was bailed out in 2008. I know that just encouraged even more debt and handed it out on a plate at "economy saving" low interest rates. I know I don't believe in one way bets. So I expect one day we'll all reap what the central banks have sewn. I just don't know how or when.

Actually, I know the younger generations (have nots) are already reaping it, while older generations (haves) see their asset prices inflate.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mwpt wrote: »
    Oh, I'm not making much of a statement. I think the whole world has been screwed by bad incentives since... well, not sure exactly, but certainly the incentives worsened since 2008.

I just do enjoy reading all the opposing views, as if anyone really knows what's going to happen. I know risky debt was bailed out in 2008. I know that just encouraged even more debt and handed it out on a plate at "economy saving" low interest rates. I know I don't believe in one way bets. So I expect one day we'll all reap what the central banks have sewn. I just don't know how or when.

Actually, I know the younger generations (have nots) are already reaping it, while older generations (haves) see their asset prices inflate.

European banks have €1.2 trillion of non performing loans. May explain why the ECB is intent on pumping money into the system much in the same way the BOE was.
  • luvpump
    Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/davos/12114859/Mario-Draghi-denies-that-ECB-bazooka-is-empty.html

be interesting to see where this might go, more QE or will the world finally go cold turkey ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport