Discrimination on Boarding / Additional Travel ID

Options
AlphaQ
AlphaQ Posts: 7 Forumite
Dear MSE Forum members,

I had the most shocking experience on my return flight (New Years Eve) with EasyJet from Nantes (France) to London Gatwick - my outward flight was barely 3 days earlier. I have emailed EasyJet on New Year's Eve but have not received a reply.

I would really appreciate tips / advice regarding next steps and how I should handle the below situation.

The situation was as follows:

(At the Final Boarding Gate) Having had the size of my luggage thoroughly checked, I passed my passport to the member of staff, who then requested a second proof of identity (in addition to a perfectly valid EU passport that had just been checked by the French border control). When I inquired why, I was told that I would not be allowed to board the flight if I did not provide additional documentation. I explained to the member of staff, and mentioned that I had flown numerous times and as a EU national require no visa - the member of staff bluntly dismissed my comment and threatened to call the French police if I do not provide a second proof of ID.

After some further rude remarks, she briefly mentioned that all non-UK and non-French passengers are required to provide additional documentation. To my knowledge no other passengers underwent this "additional check", having raised this with the UK border control upon my arrival to Gatwick and with the easyjet customer service desk at Gatwick, I was told that no such security measures were in place and that it is ridiculous that I was asked to provide additional ID.

I am therefore left with the impression that I was the victim of discrimination based on my nationality / name / race / background as there are no other grounds under which the staff's reaction could be justified. I was left searching through my wallet for a some sort of ID - by chance stumbling across my British issued provisional driving license which after further inspection was deemed as acceptable. However, according to UK Border Control, a driving licence has no relation to Schengen travel restrictions and a provisional licence is not a valid travel document.

Despite providing a second valid form of ID, I was further threatened to be refused boarding, this time apparently for my lack of cooperation. The situation calmed down after a fellow passenger told the member of staff to relax and remain calm and I was finally allowed to board.

I am both shocked and disappointed that the behavior of your staff was not only mis-aligned with current regulations, but was also threatening and rude. For the duration of 10 minutes, I was treated as as a criminal. I was shouted at, humiliated and threatened (in French) in front of other waiting passengers, all of which happened after I cleared security, border control and the easyjet online passport security both on this trip and my trip from LGW to NTE 3 days earlier.

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    You should complain to EasyJet and ask for an explanation of their actions.

You should also edit your title - you were not denied boarding.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So, in short, during a time of turmoil, when there are a lot of forged documents allowing terrorists into countries, you were a bit miffed at being asked for a 2nd piece of ID and ..... had a tantrum.
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    Options
    you were a bit miffed at being asked for a 2nd piece of ID

How many people travel with 2 pieces of ID though? And how would you know in advance what the staff might accept as extra proof if requested?

I don't take what I don't need when I travel so for instance my driving licence stays at home (plus mine's the old paper type and has no photo anyway).
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    So, in short, during a time of turmoil, when there are a lot of forged documents allowing terrorists into countries, you were a bit miffed at being asked for a 2nd piece of ID and ..... had a tantrum.

That's not fair.

If it was explained to the OP that random checks were being done and why, that is acceptable (although I too would not have any additional ID with me). But the way he says he was dealt with is not acceptable, the gate staff are not there to make up the rules as they go along.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yolina wrote: »
    How many people travel with 2 pieces of ID though? And how would you know in advance what the staff might accept as extra proof if requested?

I don't take what I don't need when I travel so for instance my driving licence stays at home (plus mine's the old paper type and has no photo anyway).

Plus the only acceptable ID is a passport or a travel card, an airport is not allowed to take a driving card into consideration. Airport staff are absolutely not allowed to take what is on a driving card into consideration, to do so could get them in very deep water as their action suggests they are accepting driving cards as a suitable travel document.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I would be very miffed if airport staff asked for a peice of ID they were not allowed to accept, quite worrying really that some airport staff are this incompetent and lax.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Plus the only acceptable ID is a passport or a travel card, an airport is not allowed to take a driving card into consideration. Airport staff are absolutely not allowed to take what is on a driving card into consideration, to do so could get them in very deep water as their action suggests they are accepting driving cards as a suitable travel document.

Although it is a valid form of Id for domestic travel.
  • MasterPoo
    MasterPoo Posts: 787 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds like racial profiling to me OP! I would complain.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're waiting to board a plane and security staff ask for further ID, why would you stand there and argue the toss ? You showed them ID, they let you board the plane, maybe if you hadnt argued with them to begin with there wouldn't have been a problem ? Your "lack of cooperation" probably caused more issues than anything.

Lesson learned, next time you travel, always make sure you have 2 forms of ID with you.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    one post wonder i suspect
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business