hsbc 'Safeguard' letter

Comments

• dlk
    dlk Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just got this email from my sons school:

Dear Parent/Guardian

The DFE requires School to register every student's nationality and Country of birth. We would therefore be grateful if you could email , using the following email address, xxxxxxxxxxxxco.uk the information listed below:

Child Name

Form

Nationality

Country of birth.

Alternatively you can call Mrs xxxxx on telephone number xxxxxxxxxx

Kind Regards

THEY are out to get all of our personal information, where's me tin foil hat?:eek:

Are you sure you haven't missed out one of the questions? I got the same request from my daughters school today but it also wanted to know her first language. The letter explained it's part of a process to collect data regarding the performance of children for whom English is a second language.
  • dlk
    dlk Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pincher wrote: »
    Still too much information if they were not the real First Direct.

But nothing a fraudster can do anything with. Besides you can always just call them back and they also offer you the chance to verify them by asking them to give you a letter from one of your security questions eg you can ask them the fourth letter from your memorable address.
  • Lleucu
    Lleucu Posts: 334 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 December 2016 at 6:12AM
    I am very upset that HSBC are threatening to close my business accounts - a lot of money in both accounts.

I filled in their boring questionnaire earlier in 2016 which involved proof of ID, then filled in a further one because they said there were gaps. Then silence until a letter arrived saying in essence that they had reviewed the account and were closing them. I slapped in a complaint and after a while received a rather vague email then nothing.

As time was moving on I went into my local branch (nothing to do with us) and at their suggestion phoned telephone banking who were surprisingly helpful and maybe the matter will be resolved.

I am very upset I try to work as self employed I have a severely disabled partner. When I have the energy I plan to move all our accounts to the Coop or Nationwide. I have banked with HSBC for 46 years all my family do, as I did my parents and my grandfather was a manager with the old Midland Bank. I also plan to complain to the FSC I guess there are many others in the same position and hopefully they might listen. The only decent person was the phone banking person.

19/12/2016 Result! grovelling apology and threat of closure removed from account!!
  • aytch
    aytch Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Has anyone managed to actually email the 'dedicated email address' they supply in their letters re safeguard. I have had two letters, tried to email and it bounces back each time?

I live in Spain and trying to resolve this via the phone is heckish expensive!
    DEBT FREE since 2011
    Retiring to Spain has changed my world

:beer:
  • Lleucu
    Lleucu Posts: 334 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Result: account reinstated grovelling apology
  • Lleucu wrote: »
    Result: account reinstated grovelling apology

Any compo? Hopefully there was.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 December 2016 at 1:29PM
    HSBC is the absolute pits and the epitome of too-big-to-fail-or-give-a-s**t-about-retail. Vote with your feet and switch.

In your place I would exact compensation by switching to a FirstDirect account (owned by HSBC), pocket the £100 switching bonus and then a £100 leaving bonus after 6 months.
  • Patch7
    Patch7 Posts: 3 Newbie
    HSBC Safeguard: We need to confirm your details

I just got one of these emails from HSBC.

Please note that I've been a customer in good standing with HSBC for over 12 years.

I went to the HSBC SafeGuard section on my HSBC online account and for the first two pages - it was OK asking to confirm - name, home telephone numbers, address and addresses for past 3 plus years.

Then it started to ask stuff about employer's address and telephone number or if I was self-employed and my business address and telephone number.

I gave my name, address, date of birth, private telephone number and home address and quit at that point.

A message from HSBC SafeGuard then appeared - which stated - "we have saved your form so that you can continue when you're ready".

I was also given a reference code a 7 digit alpha-numeric reference code.

All seems rather intrusive.

Are HSBC sharing and cross-matching this info with other organisations, and if 'Yes' with whom?

I've been with HSBC for over 12 years and I don't like these intrusive questions.
  • Patch7
    Patch7 Posts: 3 Newbie
    I've recently been through the safeguard mill only mine started with a phone call out of the blue. I wasn't prepared to give information over the phone so I went into the branch and updated details. In branch I also made an appointment for safeguard to ring me at a given time. When they did I gave them very little extra information, refused to answer questions I didn't like and made complaints about the amount of time I'd spent sorting this out. I asked for compensation for time wasted and they agreed to pay £50 immediately. I should have asked for more!

Hi and thanks for your previous post.

What information did you give them and what questions were they okay about you refusing?
  • Unfortunately, it's infuriating but eventually all the banks will be asking us for similar details so maybe moving bank accounts will only postpone the inevitable slide into them being able to demand this intrusive data from us. I used to work for HSBC and have also been asked to confirm my ID, despite having an account that goes back to the days of Midland.
    I've just moved to a new city and don't have access to a professional to certify my passport so I can post it so had to resort to the Jumio site that the bank points us to.
    On a practical note, the Jumio software used to upload and verify documentation doesn't work properly and all the helpline will do is to tell you to, "Just pop in to your local branch". If you have problems with Jumio hanging and saying it's, "Loading the flash" (!?) then I found that hitting the back browser button and going back a couple of screens and then forward again allowed it to work.
    Let's hope that Jumio can protect our data as it seems that almost any website's data can be hacked these days.
    I wonder how all the elderly account holders who will be confused and frightened by these letters will fare and how the bank will look after them.
    Well done HSBC, despite it doing little good in the long term, I will be closing my account and moving my funds elsewhere as soon as possibly can.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback