hsbc 'Safeguard' letter

Options

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    The business offering the service holds the cards, they call the shots. Why shouldn't they ? I don't think HSBC is going to fold because a few customers refuse to send ID documents. The majority will comply with this request, i can't see any reason not to, it's not difficult.

In reality losing a few thousand customers in the uk, many of whom will be marginally profitable, is a small price to pay when you've just been caught for a few billion by the us regulator.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The business offering the service holds the cards, they call the shots. Why shouldn't they ? I don't think HSBC is going to fold because a few customers refuse to send ID documents. The majority will comply with this request, i can't see any reason not to, it's not difficult.

But it isn't just ID documents they are asking for is it?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September 2017 at 12:29PM
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    But it isn't just ID documents they are asking for is it?

It doesnt matter what they ask for does it ? If you want to bank with them and they ask for a sample of your DNA and your inside leg measurement or they'll close your account, thats their business. You make a choice, give them what they ask or risk having your account closed. Other businesses have their requirements, why can't banks ? Having a bank account isn't a right, there are lots of other banks to choose from.

And before you ask, yes, i do work for a bank. No it's not HSBC.Thought i'd pre-empt the next response :)
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It doesnt matter what they ask for does it ? If you want to bank with them and they ask for a sample of your DNA and your inside leg measurement or they'll close your account, thats their business. You make a choice, give them what they ask or risk having your account closed. Other businesses have their requirements, why can't banks ? Having a bank account isn't a right, there are lots of other banks to choose from.

And before you ask, yes, i do work for a bank. No it's not HSBC.Thought i'd pre-empt the next response :)

Yes, it isn't a right, but in this day and age it should be; the government is found wanting here.

HSBC are fast becoming the RyanAir of the banking sector - an organisation that treats its customers with contempt because it has so many of them and can therefore afford to do so.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »
    Yes, it isn't a right, but in this day and age it should be; the government is found wanting here.

Er... why? Why should it be a 'right' to hold a bank account with any particular bank?

What has 'this day and age' or indeed the government got to do wih it?

There's a very strange sense of entitlement in society these days!
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Er... why? Why should it be a 'right' to hold a bank account with any particular bank?

What has 'this day and age' or indeed the government got to do wih it?

There's a very strange sense of entitlement in society these days!

Simple, because these days (in this day and age) it's almost impossible, or at best very difficult, to run your life without access to a bank account. Provision of banking facilities should be brought in line with provision of utilities where, unless you don't pay the charges, you can't be disconnected. And even if you don't pay they can't close your account. To bring the banks in line would require legislation - hence government involvement.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    I agree totally with the last post - a bank account should be a right just like a utility.

Imagine if you were with NPower for your electricity and they sent you a 'safeguarding letter' asking for all sorts of information. You don't want to give it to them - fine, they can cut off your power - you can always go elsewhere. Or even worse, you give it to them and they claim not to have received it or they did receive it but it didn't answer their questions or whatver.

Supposing they all did this and refused to have you as a customer. You would then be left unable to have electricity at your home for the rest of eternity.

There should be an absolute right for every person to have one bank account. How this would be implemented I don't know but clearly up to law makers
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is an absolute right to a basic bank account, though again if you aren't going to supply the bank with their required information you won't be able to transact with them and will have to find another supplier of banking services.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »

There should be an absolute right for every person to have one bank account. How this would be implemented I don't know but clearly up to law makers

You mean the very same law makers that are making the financial institutions ask for this information in the first place?;)
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »

HSBC are fast becoming the RyanAir of the banking sector - an organisation that treats its customers with contempt because it has so many of them and can therefore afford to do so.

Why are they treating people with contempt ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback