We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Current market carnage - anyone selling or buying?

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buying, S&S ISA was cleared out when we bought our new house, liking the January sale.
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Think some China H-shares might be on my shopping list this week.
  • InvestInPoker
    Options
    This calculator shows quite clearly it is time invested in the market that matters most, although final results do vary quite wildly even over 30 year time spans. Note - It is only for the s&p 500 although you can select with dividends reinvested/without.

It's a really nice tool that allows you to pick any start and finish point from the past for your pretend investment to see how you would have done overall.

http://dqydj.net/sp-500-return-calculator/
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Just checked my SIPP; book cost £241K, Value now £133K. Thats over about 10 years of investment; great!

To all those who say just invest and don't worry about timing....hmm I think not. Timing as they say, appears to be everything!
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    All hail Troll Queen "A Flock Of Sheep" and buy on Monday for piles of free cash.

that is of course not market timing - it's exploiting the wool factor, as described in a forthcoming paper ...
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    that is of course not market timing - it's exploiting the wool factor, as described in a forthcoming paper ...

You can mock. I may well be buying Monday.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    Just checked my SIPP; book cost £241K, Value now £133K. Thats over about 10 years of investment; great!

To all those who say just invest and don't worry about timing....hmm I think not. Timing as they say, appears to be everything!

Savage!

(Ten characters)
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options

What on earth did you invest it all in to lose that much?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options

There are 1394 funds on trustnet that have been going for 10 years.. 2 are showing a loss equal to or more than yours. About 41 would have given a lesser loss and the rest a profit.

So what did you do to lose all that money? Sell low and buy high?
  • Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zolablue25 wrote: »
    What on earth did you invest it all in to lose that much?

See his previous thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5360627&highlight=

Rather than buying everything he seems to keep buying investments in companies/sectors that have done well recently just before they turn.

Im not part of the passive tracker brigade but I think an all world tracker and locking himself out of his platform so he cant trade would make him thousands of pounds a year richer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport