We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Current market carnage - anyone selling or buying?

Options

Comments

• Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    As I understand it, a large proportion of Chinese shares are held by retail investors who tend to be more likely to base their buy/sell decisions on emotion/ tarot cards/whatever - thats why prices swing so wildly. Apparently the underlying Chinese economy is still growing at 7% a year, which is less than it was, but its productive growth, not unproductive housing cost growth like England.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • padington
    padington Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    As I understand it, a large proportion of Chinese shares are held by retail investors who tend to be more likely to base their buy/sell decisions on emotion/ tarot cards/whatever - thats why prices swing so wildly. Apparently the underlying Chinese economy is still growing at 7% a year, which is less than it was, but its productive growth, not unproductive housing cost growth like England.

The main reason for the tank this time round from what I can tell was that the expiry date for large investors to be able to sell was coming to an end from the last emergency measure not tarot cards.
    Proudly voted remain. A global union of countries is the only way to commit global capital to the rule of law.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2016 at 9:07AM
    Options
    padington wrote: »
    The main reason for the tank this time round from what I can tell was that the expiry date for large investors to be able to sell was coming to an end from the last emergency measure not tarot cards.

In hindsight, the Chinese Authorities attempt to limit market volatility by closing the market (which applies to all investors) after a 7% swing may have made matters worse?
    Either way if you are invested in equities for the long term, its the underlying value in the shares that matters, because that will resurface in time :)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a f ew stocks on my buy list so may do that.

but I just paid 5K in Uni fees so my cash pool is shrinking. And the OH's 15 yr old car needs replacing.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    Here we go. A market is in decimation thread. I knew it wouldn't be long. Totally unnecessary of course because we are all here for the long term so this momentary volatility is quite normal and shouldn't be phasing anyone.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    Are the western statistics or economies much better?

Yes has to be the answer. China operates as it wishes. With no transparency.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Here we go. A market is in decimation thread. I knew it wouldn't be long. Totally unnecessary of course because we are all here for the long term so this momentary volatility is quite normal and shouldn't be phasing anyone.

Depends which shares you hold. As there's going to a shake out.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    Respect to whoever here invested in Pantheon Resources
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    No one would be investing at the moment unless they enjoy playing with falling knives.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Respect to whoever here invested in Pantheon Resources

Aaah, Meesster Sheep.....

We've been expecting you!

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories