We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Current market carnage - anyone selling or buying?

Options
It's been a brutal start to 2016. I've been waiting to re-invest since cashing out of everything last August and have just started drip feeding into my favorite funds the last couple of days given the recent big drops. However I'm still rather bearish for 2016, especially when viewing the max SPY chart below :eek: so, what are your expectations for 2016?

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-07%20at%2013.52.18_zpsqyzrv6ym.png~original

Comments

• Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    I expect returns to be lower in the next few years than they have been in the last. But the advice remains the same. Diversify and chill :)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Sam_J12
    Sam_J12 Posts: 253 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2016 at 5:15PM
    Options
    I'm not sure what to expect, but here are my guesses:

UK and European smaller companies will continue to do well for at least the early part of the year. Chinese stocks will continue to drop for a while longer, and this will continue to have a knock on affect on large cap developed market stocks. Markets will rise quite nicely in the second half of the year once the China situation is stabilized. Japan will outperform the other developed markets over the course of the year.

I have a bit of additional money to invest this month, which I am putting in a European smaller companies fund.
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    I expect returns to be lower in the next few years than they have been in the last. But the advice remains the same. Diversify and chill :)

Likewise, especially in the US where it's difficult to envisage too much more of a P/E expansion driven gain thus leaving it to earnings to do the heavy lifting....which could be tricky given how high margins are already. I did drip feed a bit into Europe ex UK and Japan this morning though as see better prospects here and cheaper after current sell off.
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    I bought some VMID yesterday to diversify. Should have waited till this morning, but there it is.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • BrockStoker
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    I bought some VMID yesterday to diversify. Should have waited till this morning, but there it is.

VMID?

I did some shopping the other day (bought a very small portion of Artemis Global Energy), and am half tempted today, but I think I may hold off a bit longer before using the bulk of my cash. Could well be wrong, but I don't think the jitters are going to go away just yet.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm tempted to put some in Murray International at this low but may wait for a small rise first.
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    VMID?

I did some shopping the other day (bought a very small portion of Artemis Global Energy), and am half tempted today, but I think I may hold off a bit longer before using the bulk of my cash. Could well be wrong, but I don't think the jitters are going to go away just yet.

Probably need PBOC to stop /slow daily fix weakening of the RMB to calm the markets down, plus some stability in the oil price.
  • lesta1980
    lesta1980 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    bought some tesco shares on monday, don't know a great deal about investing but been following them for a while so basically had a punt, only £2k so not a complete disaster if they go down even more
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has the credit bubble burst? Not the West this time. But the East.

Low oil prices are changing the dynamics of the Middle East.

So much uncertainty. perhaps an opportune time to sit back and simply watch events unfold. As difficult to predict who the casualties are going to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport