We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Current market carnage - anyone selling or buying?

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TheTracker wrote: »
    Mine is within a percent of my end of April and May 2015 values. So 10 weeks after this thread started we're at or near an all time high.

FoS will return.

Which is why i've started selling down my equities to cash while slowly increasing bond/property allocation. A play on volatility if you will.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    And the sum of my ISA, pension and unwrapped pots is only 4% behind where I was predicting it would be in March 2016 despite my naive and ambitious "absolute growth of 5% pa" assumption.
    So its made 1% instead of your predicted 5%? (thats only a profit if you believe the official inflation statistics)
    I have never predicted carnage, but I do feel that asset prices have been inflated by QE to the point where safe assets like bonds from strong economies guarantee a return below inflation.
    So only an optimist could expect returns over the next few years to be as good as past ones.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    I have never predicted carnage, but I do feel that asset prices have been inflated by QE to the point where safe assets like bonds from strong economies guarantee a return below inflation.
    So only an optimist could expect returns over the next few years to be as good as past ones.

Global growth hasn't really got going since the financial crisis. Its only central bank monetary policy that has kept things ticking along. Ticking along towards a ticking timebomb perhaps?
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    So its made 1% instead of your predicted 5%?

I wouldn't call "5% a year, straight line" a prediction, more a box that needed a number and got one.

Capital values are still way under their peaks from around 10 months ago, so for my portfolio to be where it is, shows what drip feeding, rebalancing and investing dividends can achieve.

Well, maybe. But how do I turn a hunch such as this into an asset allocation?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    Kendall80 wrote: »
    Global growth hasn't really got going since the financial crisis.
    We have so called 'Growth' in UK as Osborne keeps reminding us. But since his 'Growth' includes the huge rent increases on existing properties, which is a drain on the productive side of the economy that we need to pay off his fast rising debts, thats hardly reassuring to me.:(
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Glen_Clark
    edited 24 March 2016 at 11:58AM
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Well, maybe. But how do I turn a hunch such as this into an asset allocation?
    I don't know. So I just spread my eggs around lots of baskets, trying to make use of my tax allowances whilst minimising middlemen's fees, and hope for the best. As you put it 'Diversify and Chill :) '
    Otherwise I might find myself selling equities because they are risky, then buying them back again when I realise cash is risky too.
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    It's all going south. I keep telling people.

But they don't listen.

I listen.
    Please come back and predict another crash.
    Every time you do my shares go up.
    I love you :heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport