Private/Prep School or State school?

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Is there much point to a GCSE if you don't get a C?
    Depends ...

For some children, a D or even an E may be a real achievement, and while it may not be 'enough' to meet the minimum qualifications for a lot of situations, it may open the door to the next step. And they may need to get to the minimum qualifications in small steps.

For example (and I really am showing my age here!) one of my siblings left school at the end of what's now year 12 (lower 6th then) with the equivalent of five 'O' levels including Maths and English, and the English was a huge achievement because they were severely dyslexic.

And they got the English by getting a CSE (remember them?) Grade 2, which was almost worthless because only a Grade 1 was equivalent to 'O' level. BUT a Grade 2 enabled them to start a CEE (Certificate of Extended Education), and get a sufficiently high grade to be equivalent to CSE Grade 1, therefore equivalent to 'O' level.

Went on to do a practical City and Guilds course at college, got a good job, and later went to Uni to do Electrical Engineering.

So, while for my boys I regarded a D as a not-good-enough pass, I wouldn't knock it for everyone, and it may lead onto the next step, as Spendless has shown.
    Spendless wrote: »
    In my mind they might as well do A B C and fail but that's been the case since I took O'levels and grades D and E were passes that didn't count. Going round colleges with my eldest for his post 16 options, some colleges the requirement given was D (looking at some computer courses, these were *easier* courses)

Having got a system where there are passes below a C would I want my child not entered at all, if s/he wasn't predicted A-C. I don't think I would, I'd want them to have the opportunity to take the paper rather than not be allowed to sit it at all.

If you take foundation paper, rather than the higher level paper the highest grade you can get is a C, which makes me ask why have foundation papers?
    I suspect the paper itself is easier, which may be an advantage to some pupils. I still remember DS3 being 'threatened' with Foundation level English if he didn't pull his finger out (he tended to not answer the paper and just stare around the room if it was 'boring'). I explained to him that if he took the foundation paper, he'd have to do really well to get a C, whereas if he took the higher paper a much lower mark would get the C.

He eventually got the message - when the school told him that if he didn't get a C, they'd let him into 6th form but would make him reset, and if he didn't get a C in January they WOULD ask him to leave - and got a B.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    As you state, that's your opinion. All I can state is that it's not my experience (I attended a private school for sixth form).

Of course it's just my opinion and experience, that's all I can go on too.
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    I knew two people who went to private school.

Both done better exam wise but I now earn more than them.

Personally I never seen the benefit of it but maybe that's just the private schools in my area.
  • Jagraf
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    BTW, I think it's quite cruel to send a child to a very academic private school if it's a struggle for them to keep up. Although it's equally true at secondary level for some state schools. At the one the boys attended it was in theory possibly NOT to be entered for 10 GCSEs, but from talking to other parents it was clear that you had to be really determined to get your child onto the NVQs and vocational options!

Most academic private schools have an entrance exam. If they don't have an entrance exam they tend to be less academic private schools with an emphasis on bringing out your strengths and the children may be suited to smaller class sizes and additional lessons in small groups.
  • Jagraf
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I knew two people who went to private school.

Both done better exam wise but I now earn more than them.

Personally I never seen the benefit of it but maybe that's just the private schools in my area.

Sometimes private schools help with confidence building etc rather than just academic success, there are some very academic private schools though.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Jagraf wrote: »
    Sometimes private schools help with confidence building etc rather than just academic success, there are some very academic private schools though.

The one they went to focuses on academic.
  • lavandergirl_2
    Options
    Some prep schools prepare children for the common entrance exams/13+ exams to get into independent secondary schools. See whether this prep school will prepare students for 11+ exams.

What sort of independent school is it? A good state school is better than a mediocre private school. Check out Tatler Guide for independent schools.

What is the local grammar school like? Most grammar schools, especially the top performing ones, would have high proportion of applicants and most of these are children who are in the top group and would have had private tutoring. There is the elevenplus forum. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/

Have a plan if you decide to go for private prep and your child doesn't get into the state grammar school.

There is no right or wrong answer. It depends on what will make your children happy and where they would thrive. At the same time, think about the financial sacrifices that the family would have to make in order for the child to get into the independent school - holidays, car, clothing etc.

Personally, I feel it is so unfair that schools are not all equal but as a parent I understand how one would want the best for their children.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/aug/28/elitism-in-britain-breakdown-by-profession

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/347915/Elitist_Britain_-_Final.pdf
    Do Something Amazing- Give Blood
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I suspect the paper itself is easier, which may be an advantage to some pupils. I still remember DS3 being 'threatened' with Foundation level English if he didn't pull his finger out (he tended to not answer the paper and just stare around the room if it was 'boring'). I explained to him that if he took the foundation paper, he'd have to do really well to get a C, whereas if he took the higher paper a much lower mark would get the C.

He eventually got the message - when the school told him that if he didn't get a C, they'd let him into 6th form but would make him reset, and if he didn't get a C in January they WOULD ask him to leave - and got a B.
    Actually thinking about it the foundation paper doesn't require as 'in-depth' an answer as the higher level ones do. I only stumbled on this last year when my eldest was helping his less academically able friend with some revision, and DS had been taught to answer about 7 points and friend about 4, both had an acronym that I can't remember and DD who was then in yr7 was familiar with the shorter crony for answering work. I'd forgotten this.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Jagraf wrote: »
    Of course it's just my opinion and experience, that's all I can go on too.

The difference is that I'm not extrapolating from my experience to express an opinion on whether private schools prepare you for university life.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally i feel that state primary and private secondary should be the right way round too. Although i have to say you need to consider your childrens preferences too. My son went to state primary, followed by Grammar School after passing the entrance exam. My daughter, who is currently studying for GCSE's at high school didn't want to even try the entrance exam for Grammar school, i agreed as i knew she would hate it there, the same school isn't always right for siblings.

You have plenty of time to decide on where to send your children, wait to see how they get on at Primary school first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure