PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some paint removed from tin and applied to the bedroom wall... we will dispose of our painting clothes at the end of the process too :)

Sorted out two of the dressing table drawers and various bits were relocated, binned or put in the CS box. I feel so much better for doing this!

£7 richer after a trip to the clothes recycling place: I emptied the attic old coat wardrobe ...and no, I didn't reach Narnia :(

I was able to pass a bundle of costume jewellery to a friend who will enjoy using them creatively - pure chance she dropped in, and so nice to see her excitement at the re-making possibilities.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Good to hear the updates, GQ - you must have transformed that loft over the last year or so! Bet you can't wait till the boot sale to get the rest of it off the premises.

I had a bit of a revelation this morning - I was trying to get ready to go out and everything felt too hot, too thin or too long, I tried on two different tops and couldn't find my favourite cardigan, and of course the more I faffed about the later it got. Then it struck me - I don't do this any more! This scenario used to be played out almost every day as I tried to put an outfit together. Post KM, this hardly ever happens; I wouldn't say everything goes together but it's so easy to see what is there and pick out stuff that works. And I hadn't even realised I wasn't doing this any more.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So pleased to here of the progress at GQHQ - particularly that your Mum is volunteering stuff for the car boot!

It might be worth (at some point) suggesting a regular test of any electrical items stored in the loft. And also worth bearing in mind that old lugage not needed for storage or travel purposes may sell well at the car boot (as well as being handy for transporting smaller items) or even at your friend's shop as 'vintage' suitcases are highly sort after!

Great news on the caravan VJsMum!

I've finally started using up the compost left here by the previous residents. I need to make sure I start of some more and keep up production now I'm gardening again!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 March 2017 at 8:42AM
    Options
    :) I had a bit of an ephipany whilst up the loft yesterday; it suddenly isn't that bad.

Yes, there's an awful lot of yarn up there, beyond SABLE, but it's contained. Ditto the overflow of household linens (they lost the use of what had been the airing cupboard when the CH boiler was a back-boiler downstairs, the new one is a combi and the only place it could go was the airing cupboard, which had to be stripped of shelves).

I'd take issue about the three cat baskets (two cats) but I've fought and lost that in the past. There are three large trolley cases and one small one, the rest of the luggage is old stuff, some dating back to the 1950s and 1960s, which is storing linens and yarn.

Other things are sensibly up there, like the decorating tools, the Xmas dec box and the tree.

Mum can't get over that there were three old pillows up there, she thought all the old ones had been culled. No problems about losing them, and this time she let the metal detector go, whereas that was a definate keeper last autumn, she was even quite vehement about it being kept but six months later, shedding it was no problem.

Funny how it goes, hey?

PWD, very interesting about your clothing experience, it's things like that which make you realise that you've come a long way down kondo avenue, isn't it?

I can barely speak for a sore throat today but slept like a log, even through the cats crashing in and out of this room's window - they come off the extension roof below and jump in with a double-thud as they land which you can hear downstairs. Unless you're very tired and poorly and dead to the world, of course.;)

The pillowslip I put on the bed on Friday has spontaeously decided to get religion. It's completely worn out and will go to ragging.

Am easing into the day with my second pot of tea then Dad and I will take a gentle stroll down to the river to see that everything is in order down there. Not going to do a lot today as not feeling A1 and will be back at w*rk tomorrow.

Have a great day, folks.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 March 2017 at 8:43AM
    Options
    I got the rug wrong, the new one for in front of my stove, in the living area and stupidly cut the labels off :o as I could have sent it back. Heyho, you live and learn. The plain beige colour was too plain and the rug too big and fluffy, although really nice quality. I left it down two days and put my rectangular coffee table on top and it just did not look or feel right at all. It rolls easily and is not heavy, so I am going to try and re-position upstairs.

I took one of the rugs from my kitchen, same busy pattern as before, same colours but much smaller ie 2 x 4 instead of 4 x 6 and have positioned it under the table and blimey heck, it is perfect. Just enough colour and not overwhelming. Luckily I have the same rug upstairs as a runner and that fits beautifully in my kitchen. So all in all, I learnt by my mistake ie not to cut labels off too quickly and that too fluffy is wrong in my living room. I have the perfect rug now and learnt that smaller is better.

Will be kondoing a fair bit to a dd this morning, more than happy to do that and will be taking my folding bike in my boot as the grandchildren who are competent riders, will be taking me out around their village. This will be role reversal as the bike is very twitchy, I have learned how to use the complicated gears and now done four brain training rides on it. The cyclometer on it tells all. I have to take it in for service at 100 miles but he said it can be `or` 3 months. Haha, this granny has done 12 miles in three days, so I am not letting myself down and that includes gentle slopes upwards :D

Did seed sowing yesterday and washed and stored seed trays, feel good about that as I have a nice part empty storage area for them now

keep the posts coming GQ, I am another groupie, they lighten my day
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Bit of a nuisance about the new rug, kittie, but you sound as if you're philosophical about it. Good to have a workaround.

greenbee, the only vaguely electrical item in the loft is now downstairs, a 4 ganger extension cable minus plug. I was mine from a previous address and was once wall-mounted in this room and has been up there sans a plug. We're going to add it to the bootsale pile, Mum is happily wiring one of the many spare plugs which we've saved for Justin onto it.

Mum taught me how to wire plugs as a child, plus we were also taught at secondary school. I think this is probably becoming an obsolete skill now that new goods come pre-plugged.

Righty, better get up and dressed and on with the day.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ha yes, I recall being taught to wire a plug at secondary school - everything comes with them welded on these days doesn't it.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :p Casual convo over the lunch table about the neatness of the sliced cold beef. I noted that Mum doesn't use her Tef@l electic carving knife now and she remarked that she doesn't really like it.

Turns out we have two of the beggars, one which was Nan's. Both of which are in the bootsale box.

Will whomever who has re-programmed my Mum stand forward and take a bow...... :rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Will whomever who has re-programmed my Mum stand forward and take a bow...... :rotfl:

I think you'll find it was you :)
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ha yes, I recall being taught to wire a plug at secondary school - everything comes with them welded on these days doesn't it.

I haven't noticed that, I've been buying all of my stuff second-hand recently lol! That's ridiculous. Such a waste that you can't change a fuse or replace a plug. I think I'd be tempted to just cut the cable above the plug & strip the wires to fit a conventional plug myself.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure