🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

santas Challenge 2016... Gifts, chat, challenges

Options

Comments

• crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    bambibear wrote: »
    I did Debenham 70% this year for the first time and and got loads of things, touch screen gloves, fluffy hot water bottles etc. The Boots one is getting mad. Will Def try Debenham again.

Last time I was in Boots for the big sale, people had stolen trolleys from the Wilkinsons and brought them in. They were arguing, snatching things from other people and sweeping entire shelves into baskets. One woman had two baskets in her hands and was kicking another around at her feet. Some people I saw went as a team, with three women running around, filling baskets and taking them back to pile at the feet of a man (bored looking husband) who was standing guard over their haul. There's no need. I went in calm and slowly with one basket, filled it, paid, and then went back in to get more using the points I'd just earned. I didn't miss out of anything.

It's like the Black Friday rush now. I've been in the states quite a few times for the Black Friday sales and that is carnage. People here are coping it and going stampeding it, people getting injured and fighting. Crazy.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • crazy-cat-lady_2
    crazy-cat-lady_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 September 2016 at 9:56AM
    Options
    I always order things from China and Japan on eBay and Amazon. It's great, you're right. So cheap compared to ordering from the UK and you are often getting the exact same product. If you have the time on your hands to wait it's a great way of doing it. I've had quite a lot of things either go missing or stuck forever getting through customs. Usually because the seller has labelled them weirdly. It's mostly when I've ordered beads for making jewellery and they are labelled as phone accessories or electronics for some reason.

I know they wouldn't be free, but you could get them fairly cheap.. what about miniature bottles of alcohol in a few "windows" of the advent calendar and in others some chocolates to go with. You could get a box of after 8s or some Elizabeth Shaw mint crisps for a pound and split them between a few days.

And again, getting them from Amazon from china, for the girl you can get pieces of jewellery for next to nothing. They're only ever silver plated but I've ordered bits and pieces before and the quality is fine. Nobody ever knows they cost so little. If you put it to sort in price order you can get pieces for literally a penny. Plus a pound postage, but rings, necklaces..
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,929 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, I was in my high street Boots today and they have the Christmas gift sets out already. I love S&G and Champneys. I was trying to guess which would be OOTW/ but needed to get to work :) I have ordered two gifts today - tickets to a show for the in laws and a print of song lyrics for SIL and BIL - their wedding song, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. I will get my own A4 frame. You guys seem much more organised than me!
    Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 15/24
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Now start Christmas planning... thou been planning all yr, but as 29th Sept is Miss Hoodies bday, shes my last expense for bdays - now Xmas.

Dont know if anyone needs charms / bracelet from Pandora - they have an offer on to 2nd Oct - spend over £125 and get a free bracelet worth £55,spend over £145 and get a free bracelet.

Ive ordered some charms for Miss Hoodie (late bday present) so I'm having the bracelet... not that she missed out, she had an apple watch.. (needed picking up after the price.... but gone halves with mum so def helps out).

I'm looking 4ward to Boots - think the ootw starts this Friday, its a smash box make up set - think its £30.

Next plan is go throu Xmas list and see what I need.. xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Anglea wrote: »
    Thanks for all the information about latest sales etc everyone.

I have no idea what chocolate brussel sprouts are if anyone can enlighten me.

Thanks for the postal info mum2one and the latest challenge.

Whenever I go on a trip out of the village I always put a £20 note in my shoe in case of emergencies.

Kettle descaling - would like some tips. I tried using white vinegar - didn't work although it has done in the past. So bought packs of descaler - didn't work either other than making the stainless steel base nice and shiny but it still has a very thick ring of limescale.

What shall I try now?

These are small chocolates covered in foil paper that looks like a brussell sprout, usually only available around Christmas time.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • crazy-cat-lady_2
    crazy-cat-lady_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 October 2016 at 9:32PM
    Options
    These are small chocolates covered in foil paper that looks like a brussell sprout, usually only available around Christmas time.

no, it was these I meant. Tesco have chocolate truffle sprouts. They're amazing.

http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=293172210

Photo sadly doesn't show them well. I've never seen foil covered ones. Where are they from?

Aha..found this.
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/547229/new-supermarket-christmas-foods
    They're number 14 on the list. The rest is worth a drool over too :)
  • crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    Speaking of truffles. I had a practice run on mine for Christmas. They're supposed to be Christmas puddings. But Zoe woke from her nap so I had to coat them and decorate them one handed, so they don't look too good. But they taste it thankfully. Next try will hopefully be better

IMG_1811.jpg
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Speaking of truffles. I had a practice run on mine for Christmas. They're supposed to be Christmas puddings. But Zoe woke from her nap so I had to coat them and decorate them one handed, so they don't look too good. But they taste it thankfully. Next try will hopefully be better

IMG_1811.jpg

They look gorgeous, unless u said I wouldn't have known u did the. One handed xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    no, it was these I meant. Tesco have chocolate truffle sprouts. They're amazing.

http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=293172210

Photo sadly doesn't show them well. I've never seen foil covered ones. Where are they from?

Aha..found this.
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/547229/new-supermarket-christmas-foods
    They're number 14 on the list. The rest is worth a drool over too :)

Also Tesco - same place as the small sacks of chocolate coins, chocolate santas, chocolate satsumas, chocolate footballs etc.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Crazy cat lady those Christmas truffles look gorgeous

Wonder if Tesco will do the coal this year (black coloured cinder toffee) for the people on the naughty lists stockings LOL
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport