We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Revolut card fraud - help!

Options

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @Christopher: Stop using big words.

The fact remains that Revolut is new and therefore doesn't have a track record for us to use to determine how safe and reliable it is. The other fact which you yourself highlight is that there are no guarantees which there would be if we used a bank. How many people are using Revolut or how many people might use it sometime in the future is irrelevant at this time.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    No I don't very often give anything a rest <snip>

You certainly have a limited ability to comprehend written English....

Allow me to help you....again;
    Is Revolut FCA approved?

Revolut does not transact, take or keep any money from customers directly and, therefore, is not subject to FCA approval. This is consistent with the wider foreign exchange industry. We partner with Paysafe Financial Services, a global provider of online and mobile payment processing services, and use their secure payment gateway to transact on behalf of our customers. Paysafe Financial Services is regulated by the FCA. You can read more about them here
    Is my money safe?

The safe and secure transaction of currency is central to Revolut’s mission and philosophy. Revolut does not transact, take or keep any money from customers directly. All your money is held in ring-fenced client accounts at Barclays. That means if anything happens to Paysafe Financial Services or Revolut, your money is still safe.

Now how about you stop acting !!!!!! and at least try to understand.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 February 2016 at 12:21PM
    Options
    The fact remains that Revolut is new and therefore doesn't have a track record for us to use to determine how safe and reliable it is. The other fact which you yourself highlight is that there are no guarantees which there would be if we used a bank. How many people are using Revolut or how many people might use it sometime in the future is irrelevant at this time.
    OK
    Can you say clearly at last what sort of 'safety' and 'reliability' do you expect from a prepaid card intended for spending abroad mainly?

The topic of this thread was cloning, and all cards are equally 'unsafe' in this regard - debit, credit and prepaid.

Nobody has ever suggested keeping big amounts in this card. For occasional spending abroad it's obviously not more 'unsafe' than other prepaid cards available, but is definitely much better in terms of the fees and exchange rates.
    Another advantage is that AFAIK, unlike for other cards, a user can block it online without contacting CS that are typically very poor for prepaid cards.

@NiftyDigits
    I wouldn't rely on 'ring-fencing' that IMO is a red herring as many cases with various companies demonstrated, e.g. Crown Currency Exchange and various bookmakers.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    @Christopher: Stop using big words.

You are just embarrassing yourself now.
  • Anthorn
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    OK
    Can you say clearly at last what sort of 'safety' and 'reliability' do you expect from a prepaid card intended for spending abroad mainly?

None whatsoever. That's why I don't use them. But as I have already stated several times, a track history provides us with an indication of reliability. There are several travel currency cards available which have that track history which revolut doesn't have.

I have had the revolut service on my mobile phone but cancelled it and removed it from my mobile phone and withdrew my funds. My reasons were a failure to provide the physical card, a failure to provide support through the app and a failure to provide a secure means of transmitting identification documents. In the light of my own personal experience am I to declare that Revolut is perfect as others are doing? I don't think so.
  • grumbler
    edited 9 February 2016 at 5:30PM
    Options
    None whatsoever. That's why I don't use them. But as I have already stated several times, a track history provides us with an indication of reliability.
    To track something you have to define it first, but you repeatedly refuse to do this.
    I have had the revolut service on my mobile phone but cancelled it and removed it from my mobile phone and withdrew my funds. My reasons were a failure to provide the physical card, a failure to provide support through the app and a failure to provide a secure means of transmitting identification documents. In the light of my own personal experience am I to declare that Revolut is perfect as others are doing? I don't think so.
    Well, in this case you had to post your facts/experience from start (or links to it if already posted elsewhere) instead of making making vague accusation like 'new' and 'unreliable'. And the facts have to be more accurate than just 'failure to provide the card'. I don't have Revolut, but other people reportedly have physical cards.
    My son has got it for using abroad on my advice and was happy with it. For a young person that was unlikely to get HX Clarity, it was the best option and he will possibly never want/need another card for using abroad.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another advantage is that AFAIK, unlike for other cards, a user can block it online without contacting CS that are typically very poor for prepaid cards.
    The RevolutCard can be blocked and unblocked instantly on the smartphone app, so it can be left blocked except when required for use (data or WiFi connection permitting). The mag stripe can be enabled or disabled, although somewhat less readily, by request via the in-app chat.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Anthorn
    Options
    To track something you have to define it first, but you repeatedly refuse to do this.

Well, in this case you had to post your facts/experience from start (or links to it if already posted elsewhere) instead of making making vague accusation like 'new' and 'unreliable'. And the facts have to be more accurate than just 'failure to provide the card'. I don't have Revolut, but other people reportedly have physical cards.

Your post doesn't make sense and contains no facts whatsoever. Well, a track history has nothing at all to do with track and field lol.

It's impossible to post details of something which doesn't exist, in this case Revolut's track history.
  • grumbler
    edited 9 February 2016 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Your post doesn't make sense and contains no facts whatsoever.
    What facts did you expect from me? I think facts are needed for making accusations in the first place, and only in the second place for defending.
    Well, a track history has nothing at all to do with track and field lol.
    Good. Is it your definition of the 'track history' or 'reliability'?
    It's impossible to post details of something which doesn't exist, in this case Revolut's track history.
    Of course it doesn't exist because you keep failing to define it. History of what exactly? And if you mean internet, normally you can find a lot of negative information if something doesn't work well, but very little positive information otherwise. So far I have not seen anything really bad about Revolut. The worst was "failure to provide a secure means of transmitting identification documents", but after dealing with dozens of online bookies this is hardly a surprise or would be a problem for me if I wanted this card.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are missing the point that a regulated bank provides more security than a new service without a track record which may or may not be fly-by-night. The great strength of most prepaid travel cards is that they are used over the short-term so any possible loss is limited. I'd say that anyone who keeps an amount of money on such cards which is beyond their immediate needs is a naive idiot.
    It's easy to 'miss a point' that has no relevance. A prepaid card that can be loaded instantly from funds kept in the safety of a 'regulated bank' account may be left with zero balance until required for use, avoiding any such 'naïve idiocy'.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family