We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Revolut card fraud - help!

Options

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    The card and the service is brand new and therefore is unproven.
    The OP has a problem of a brand new card in a brand new service being cloned almost as soon as he got it. What that tells me is that Revolut is about as far from secure as it gets.
    There is nothing factual in your statements that Revolut is a brand new and unproven product, or that the OP's card was brand new - the indication is that it has been in use, presumably overseas. We don't know how or where it was cloned.

Is there anything factual in your supposition that a particular card can be less secure and more susceptible to cloning that any other card?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Stretlow
    Stretlow Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    You obviously haven't been to a Greek Isle recently.

But let's consider it like it is: The OP has a problem of a brand new card in a brand new service being cloned almost as soon as he got it. What that tells me is that Revolut is about as far from secure as it gets.

You're not any more likely to get this card cloned than any other. Mag stripe info is simple to copy hence the move to chip and pin its irrelevant which card it is.
  • Stretlow
    Stretlow Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    How do you know that it's "brand new"?
    This card is around for about half a year, and people get it for using abroad mainly where non-chip transactions are more common and cloning typically happens.

Incorrect. Fraud is rife in the this country the fact that youre making a chip and pin transaction has no bearing on the copying of a mag stripe. On the contrary, the reason they do it here (apart from the lax punishments) is because your chip and pin spend will transact as normal while your magstrip is being read on the way in or out for the terminal (most commly ATM's.

The duplicate card can be made and used across the world in a matter of hours....
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Stretlow wrote: »
    ... (most commly ATM's)
    I think this is far less common than it used to be few years ago. Not to mention that credit cards and Revoult are hardly ever used in UK ATMs.

That said, I think 'skimming' is possible for chip&pin transactions too.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    There is nothing factual in your statements that Revolut is a brand new and unproven product, or that the OP's card was brand new - the indication is that it has been in use, presumably overseas. We don't know how or where it was cloned.

Is there anything factual in your supposition that a particular card can be less secure and more susceptible to cloning that any other card?

Revolut is barely 6 months old. That makes it new and being new it doesn't have enough of a track record for us to judge how reliable it is. Those are facts!
    https://leaprate.com/2015/07/optimal-payments-partners-with-revolut-in-launch-of-new-multi-currency-card/
  • grumbler
    Options
    New isn't the same as 'brand new'.
    What facts are we supposed to find in some 'announcement'?
    And are you saying that cloned cards are typically a result of some 'unreliability' of the card issuer, i.e. some internal problems, not external (skimming, keyloggers, retailers)?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    New isn't the same as 'brand new'.
    What facts are we supposed to find in some 'announcement'?
    And are you saying that cloned cards are typically a result of some 'unreliability' of the card issuer, i.e. some internal problems, not external (skimming, keyloggers, retailers)?

The linked announcement I posted was about the launch of Revolut. What other proof that it's new and therefore without a track record do you want?
  • grumbler
    Options
    There was no point if proving something that nobody argued about. In my earlier post I said: "This card is around for about half a year".
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Revolut is barely 6 months old. That makes it new and being new it doesn't have enough of a track record for us to judge how reliable it is. Those are facts!
    During its six months (not counting the 3-month pilot), Revolut has acquired a substantial customer base, the vast majority of whom seem satisfied. On this forum the 20-page Revolut thread and the Prepaid Travel Cards thread feature relatively few issues and complaints. No doubt elsewhere there are also plenty of users' comments.

Therefore descriptions such as 'brand new', 'unproven', 'no track record' and 'we just don't know yet' have no factual basis. Assertions based on personal grudge that largely deviate from the reality are not useful to forum users.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Stretlow
    Options
    I think this is far less common than it used to be few years ago. Not to mention that credit cards and Revoult are hardly ever used in UK ATMs.

That said, I think 'skimming' is possible for chip&pin transactions too.

We get reports of dozens of devices being removed from ATM's every day its less risk due to there not being any people manning it.

You can skim a Mag stripe during a chip and pin transaction but you cant copy a chip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport