PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking without scales

Options

Comments

• Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, I think I'm a bit too slap dash about ingredients, I just bung them in! but I know with baking it has to be quite precise, I'll keep trying, I think I've got confused on my table/ desert spoons a few times as well!
  • MaggieBaking
    MaggieBaking Posts: 964 Forumite
    Options
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_are_in_a_tablespoon

That link might help. Personally, I would try and find a cup that was the right size for a US cup and read US websites for baking recipes.

Or buy a weighing scales, which I'd be tempted to do - they're not hideously expensive anymore, especially if you can find one in a pound shop.
  • Memory_Girl
    Memory_Girl Posts: 4,957 Forumite
    Options
    I use a teeny set of scales (diet scales I thik) that I got from the pound shop.

Cooking wise I am pretty good at judging by eye - but baking I need to be more precise. I figure I save a fortune every year baking our snacks so a pound seemed like a pretty good investment for success every time.

Happy baking - it makes my heart sing

MG
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Why don't use just buy some scales?

Getting the cheapest or alternatively getting it at a charity shop will not set you back too much and it's money well spent.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For baking i would certainly recommend buying a very cheap set of scales! You can buy a set for next to nothing. I would in my mind, offset the cost of a cheap set, versus the potential waste from potential baking disasters :)

We do have an older thread on cooking without scales

Ill merge this later on for you

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    thanks guys, it's not that I don't want to buy any scales it's just I always forget to get them and then I'm boogered when I start cooking!
  • squeakysue
    Options
    I have a recipe I wanted to make tonight and my helpful children have broken my kitchen scales! Anybody any ideas how I can measure out 150g of rice? :eek:
  • Heffi1
    Heffi1 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is probably a bit hit or miss, but I have just weighed some rice and 150g came to about 3/4 of a normal size mug (for coffee)

HTH
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
  • squeakysue
    Options
    Heffi1 wrote: »
    It is probably a bit hit or miss, but I have just weighed some rice and 150g came to about 3/4 of a normal size mug (for coffee)

HTH

Thank you so much for that, I will give it a go :j
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport