Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Bobblehat
    Options
    This from the uSwitch website ... might be relevant to you ......

My energy tariff is ending. When should I switch?

In accordance with Ofgem regulations, suppliers must send you notice about your plan's upcoming end date 42 - 49 days before the end of your plan . This allows time to find and switch to a new plan before you're rolled on to your supplier's "standard" plan, which is often much more expensive.

Once you receive this letter, you are free to switch without penalty, even if the plan carries early exit fees (cancellation fees).

While this seems like plenty of time, you don't want to leave it to the last minute. Though shorter switching times have been introduced, it still takes at least three weeks (two week "cooling off" period plus three days to switch) to switch suppliers.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    Bobblehat wrote: »
    This from the uSwitch website ... might be relevant to you ......

My energy tariff is ending. When should I switch?

In accordance with Ofgem regulations, suppliers must send you notice about your plan's upcoming end date 42 - 49 days before the end of your plan . This allows time to find and switch to a new plan before you're rolled on to your supplier's "standard" plan, which is often much more expensive.

Once you receive this letter, you are free to switch without penalty, even if the plan carries early exit fees (cancellation fees).

While this seems like plenty of time, you don't want to leave it to the last minute. Though shorter switching times have been introduced, it still takes at least three weeks (two week "cooling off" period plus three days to switch) to switch suppliers.
    Thanks B.
    It is relevant.:beer:
  • krrcwl
    krrcwl Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I started a switch away from Avro on 1st September, and with the expected switch duration being between 4 and 6 weeks, I should have received my final bill on 13th October at the latest. However, when I enquired about when I can expect to receive it, I was told firstly that they were still waiting for the initial readings from the subsequent supplier - not true, they had been sent over 3 weeks previously - and that they have 6 weeks from the actual switchover date (22nd Sept) to issue me with a bill - again, not true, the entire process should be completed within 6 weeks from the initial switch request date, and this includes the 14-day cooling off period. Having replied to them, challenging them on both these points, they appear to have decided to suspend communication.

I've been through a long, strung-out process trying to get a final bill out of ExtraEnergy some time ago, and this time I will not hesitate to escalate this to Ombusman Services at the earliest opportunity. :(
  • Tom_Scott
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Under the terms of their Licence, and EU Law, suppliers have up to 6 weeks to prepare your final bill from the date of the actual transfer of supply. Credit repayment can take up to a month depending on internal authorisation procedures. In truth, it takes about 5 to 10 days after transfer for the two suppliers to get verified transfer meter readings. Once received, the losing supplier will generate a final bill. It is better to say 8 weeks and deliver earlier. It stops consumers phoning in asking for progress reports. All CS calls cost suppliers time/money.

[Update] I have received my final bill today. I sure I will receive my refund shortly. All in all they are a good supplier
    :T
  • krrcwl
    krrcwl Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2017 at 9:54PM
    Options
    ... a quick google and you'll find most advice is that the whole process should not take more than somewhere between 17 - 21 days:

https://www.comparethemarket.com/energy/information/how-long-does-it-take-to-switch-my-energy-provider/,

https://www.confused.com/home-and-lifestyle/gas-and-electricity/the-supplier-switching-process,

https://www.simplyswitch.com/energy/guides/switch-energy-supplier-5-simple-steps/#pc8, etc,

and it is now more than 21 since since both the initial request and the actual transfer date.

There is no excuse for it to take several days, except in the case of a significant discrepancy between estimated and submitted reads, any company getting involved in this sector has automated billing systems. No, this is simply a case of sitting on the credit for as long as possible.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    krrcwl wrote: »
    I started a switch away from Avro on 1st September, and with the expected switch duration being between 4 and 6 weeks, I should have received my final bill on 13th October at the latest. However, when I enquired about when I can expect to receive it, I was told firstly that they were still waiting for the initial readings from the subsequent supplier - not true, they had been sent over 3 weeks previously - and that they have 6 weeks from the actual switchover date (22nd Sept) to issue me with a bill - again, not true, the entire process should be completed within 6 weeks from the initial switch request date, and this includes the 14-day cooling off period. Having replied to them, challenging them on both these points, they appear to have decided to suspend communication.

I've been through a long, strung-out process trying to get a final bill out of ExtraEnergy some time ago, and this time I will not hesitate to escalate this to Ombusman Services at the earliest opportunity. :(
    can I ask why you switched away krrcwl ?
  • Legally, the old supplier has 6 weeks to issue the final bill, and no legal limit on how soon they issue a refund.

The interpretation (on many websites) that it "should" take no more than 6 weeks in total, is simply that - an interpretation.

In practice, the longer established companies do finish the whole process in 6 weeks. The newer start ups (like Avro) are clearly using the full legal limit, to benefit their cash flow.

They also set their DDs as high as they can, and will suggest an increase at every opportunity. This is again a cash flow strategy, plus it reduces their risk of bad debtors.

I'm OK with those practices, if it gets me a better tariff than others offer. At the end of the day, I am protected if they go bust, but they're not protected if I go bust.
  • Martin_JG
    Options
    Switch went smoothly enough but I have found customer service to be pretty rubbish.

Unable to get through on the phone.

Emails take days to answer despite claiming on the website that they aim to come back the same working day.

I have been with them 3 months and they have failed to reach their own stated target of statements being available on the website within 5 working days on every occasion. Today was the third month and after two emails the statement has now appeared after 12 working days.

Also the monthly statement says I am on the cheapest tariff but this is not true, as their new "Simple and Superior" tariff is cheaper than mine. I have emailed and asked to be transferred to this cheaper account but they are required BY LAW to let me know they have a cheaper tariff.

Generally unimpressed!

Martin
  • Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Best Buy Bear
    Options
    As a new customer still in the process of switching to AVRO (ringing the same number as everyone else) I have had no problem getting hold of AVRO on the phone, so it surprises me that you have had problems on the phone. Still ..... early days!

One thing I do agree with you is that they told me that they do not let to their existing customers know that they have brought out a cheaper tariff. I thought this a bit odd when they told me, and that I had to do the leg work on finding this out when they do it!

I take it they have not refused to put you on the cheaper tariff .... just that you are miffed (as I might be) that they did not let you know? If it is required by LAW .... how are they getting away with it?
  • K_Morgan
    Options
    Switch went smoothly, however, the final reading from British Gas was 612 (I sent an estimated reading to both BG and Avro Energy of 600). Avro Energy are still showing a start reading on my account of the estimated reading I sent of 600. Therefore I would be charged 12 therms more if my bill goes ahead on there readings. Despite the fact I have contacted them many times since the 15 September the day I moved over to Avro Energy this still has not been resolved. So not impressed with Avro Energies customer service. All I get from them is that the readings are in the within the guide line parameters. I do not believe that charging twice for the same energy is within any guide lines that is acceptable. Be very cautious joining Avro Energy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback