Moving into new house and need of broadband

Options
I currently live with my parents and have the basic Virgin package and pay circa £20-30 per month.

I am due to move in to my new house in a few days and want (as a minimum) broadband installed so I can take my PC across. Any deals for just broadband that I should consider.

Currently (due to me being an indirect Virgin customer at the moment) I think this is the best I can find for now, at least for the 9 months a £6.99 and then £19 per month thereafter.

http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband.html

Comments

• DNK260
    Options
    I can't post links so I've broken this up, but you can find out which providers serve your area here: moneysupermarket com /broadband/availability-checker/

You'll need to pay for a phoneline with any package, but Plusnet, in my new area, are offering unlimited broadband, free for 12 months with £75 cash back.

I'm happy paying more for a bit more speed, but if you're after a low cost option, Plusnet looks great. My father in law had it in his last house and it worked well.
  • Dhrucku
    Dhrucku Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I've heard some good things about plus net.

I'll definitely check out the comparison site as I didn't even know one existed!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Dhrucku wrote: »
    Thanks. I've heard some good things about plus net.

They were good but I wouldn't say they are now. Too many connections not being provisioned correctly and wait times for telephone support quite common at 45/60 minutes.

Go and read their Community forums before deciding.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    DNK260 wrote: »
    You'll need to pay for a phoneline with any package, but Plusnet, in my new area, are offering unlimited broadband, free for 12 months with £75 cash back.

not true, you dont need a phoneline with Virgin.

The best package would depend if you prefer speed or cost. Virgin being the quickest, but not the cheapest
  • Dhrucku
    Options
    Cycrow wrote: »
    not true, you dont need a phoneline with Virgin.

I think you do. It's got it greyed out as + Virgin Phone line (£17.99 a month)

Does this mean Broadband only would cost 6.99 + 17.99 = £24.98 moving up to 19.00 + 17.99 = £37ish for the next 9 months.

Total being £560ish over the 18 months which equates to £31 a month which is extortionate for just broadband!
  • jem16
    edited 26 November 2015 at 7:34PM
    Options
    I think you do. It's got it greyed out as + Virgin Phone line (£17.99 a month)

You don't need a phone line.

BB ( 50mb ) only is £30.25pm. BB with phone is £19pm plus £17.99 LR so £36.99pm.

Use uswitch and you can get 50mb BB plus LR for £5pm plus £17.99 and on a 12 month contract - discount to £5pm is for the whole 12 months.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/broadband_and_home_phone/
  • Dhrucku
    edited 26 November 2015 at 7:42PM
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    You don't need a phone line.

BB ( 50mb ) only is £30.25pm. BB with phone is £19pm plus £17.99 LR so £36.99pm.

Use uswitch and you can get 50mb BB plus LR for £5pm plus £17.99 and on a 12 month contract - discount to £5pm is for the whole 12 months.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/broadband_and_home_phone/

Yeh just switches it over to broadband only. Clever marketing holding the 6.99 on the front page.

That USWitch is a good deal, I've never heard of them before...how does it work?
  • jem16
    Options
    That USWitch is a good deal, I've never heard of them before...how does it work?

You just go the link I gave you and click "Buy Now".

Are you the Virgin account holder at your parents' house or is it your parents?
  • Dhrucku
    edited 26 November 2015 at 8:07PM
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    You just go the link I gave you and click "Buy Now".

Are you the Virgin account holder at your parents' house or is it your parents?

Parents own the account so I want to open my own account with DD etc.
  • Dhrucku
    Options
    Can I still claim even though I'm not technically switching?
    Parents own the account so I want to open my own account with DD etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure