Saving for Xmas 2016! - A pound a day

Options

Comments

• giggleyay
    Options
    I've not even thought about the next challenge but don't see why we can't keep our numbers (might be a few gaps in between though)

Ellie x

Ellie - I shall have one of the gap slots ;) Just been having a good read. I tried to do this on my own this year however I have prioritised my Credit Card pay down so kept emptying my Christmas pot.

It still has £105 in it though and it is *checks* 12 days until I can hit send on my final credit card payment! So I'm hoping to top it up with October and November's wages and still come in just below the pound a day.

Next year I definitely want to join in here for the extra accountability so it's done and dusted as early as possible :D

I have subscribed to this thread so I can keep an eye out and pounce once a new one is created :T
  • kdalwayskint
    Options
    #83 £321

I don't pop in as much as I should do, but for the 2nd year running I am saving towards Christmas :D

I have bought a couple of things already, without taking from the fund, I don't usually start Christmas shopping until after my Birthday, at the end of October.

I'll definitely be doing this again next year, I haven't missed the £7 dripping into my savings account each monday :)

Thank you for looking after the list Ellie :T
    new challenge?
    £1 a day for Christmas 2024 £100.60 / £366 ~
    Got married 24/05/19 ~ Credit Card
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
    LBM 25/2/09 ~ Debt at highest £8,037.35 ~ £0
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    I'm getting really excited about opening my tin. I don't know how much is in there but it is nearly full now. I've done a lot of Christmas shopping already so it will be nice to have a little bit of extra cash available. I will also be doing this again next year. It's been brilliant.
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Well Ellie,

I have given in to my inner devil and ordered my christmas presents from Amazon, I was pushed into this for a few reasons.

So I have only £41.50 left in my christmas pot...

I would have put this onto my credit card in previous years and probably overspent so having I total to work towards has definitely helped me this year.

Thanks for all your help in running this challenge, I shall remain and read posts though so Im not leaving you all

Westie983

Well Done Westie!!

You have done your Christmas shopping, have money over and not put it all on your credit card. I would say that is a very successful year:j

Hope you are feeling better soon and I have enjoyed running the challenge throughout the year;)

Take care
    Ellie x
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    giggleyay wrote: »
    Ellie - I shall have one of the gap slots ;) Just been having a good read. I tried to do this on my own this year however I have prioritised my Credit Card pay down so kept emptying my Christmas pot.

It still has £105 in it though and it is *checks* 12 days until I can hit send on my final credit card payment! So I'm hoping to top it up with October and November's wages and still come in just below the pound a day.

Next year I definitely want to join in here for the extra accountability so it's done and dusted as early as possible :D

I have subscribed to this thread so I can keep an eye out and pounce once a new one is created :T

It's been a fantastic challenge and it's amazing how much you can save.

I will be debt-free early next year and this will free up a huge chunk of money each month for us but I still intend to do this challenge (I love counting all those £££'s at the end).

You will be most welcome to join in

Ellie x
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    #83 £321

I don't pop in as much as I should do, but for the 2nd year running I am saving towards Christmas :D

I have bought a couple of things already, without taking from the fund, I don't usually start Christmas shopping until after my Birthday, at the end of October.

I'll definitely be doing this again next year, I haven't missed the £7 dripping into my savings account each monday :)

Thank you for looking after the list Ellie :T

Life gets in the way sometimes and you can't always pop in with totals. I know I go AWOL sometimes if I'm busy but the main thing is that you have carried on saving and you have a fantastic amount of money to do with as you like...as you say, once you are in the habit of saving that amount of money, you don't miss it;)

Ellie x
  • Ellieseleven
    Options
    I'm getting really excited about opening my tin. I don't know how much is in there but it is nearly full now. I've done a lot of Christmas shopping already so it will be nice to have a little bit of extra cash available. I will also be doing this again next year. It's been brilliant.

Me Too!!! I am so tempted to open them but will carry on for a couple of weeks yet;)

Well done on being so organised and doing your shopping already:D

Ellie x
  • Ellieseleven
    edited 16 October 2016 at 4:11PM
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Are we all itching to open our tins? I know I am, it's so heavy now I can hardly pick it up:D

Anyway, I am avoiding temptation for a few more weeks and have updated any totals for all who have asked.

I am definitely up for doing this again next year so will put a note in my diary to start a new thread.

Does everyone want to start again as soon as this one finishes?:rotfl:

N.B. We started this challenge on 1st December 2015

Ellie x
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'll be definitely doing this challenge again. Like others I have made quite a few Xmas gifts already and still have more to make, so I might not open my tin till the New Year, it's getting full though so I will start looking for a new one soon.
    What I've been doing is putting four weeks away each time I receive my pension, so it goes in my tin first and I know it's done, this works for me so I'll keep doing it that way. I'm also fortunate that I don't have to buy that many presents these days.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • triple_choc_chip
    Options
    I'd love to do it again next year! Last xmas was the first time I had it all saved up in advance and it felt great. I don't usually get in the mood for shopping until the late night openings start in town but this year I have five prezzies already because I've snapped up special offers on the things I intended to buy anyway. New total:
    #3 £622/£732
    Thanks Ellie :)
    Debt Free 🍾 since 6.8.13 £31,997
    Saving for🎄Xmas ☃️ 🎁 2024 £107/£365 29.3%
    6 mth 🆘 fund £6k
    Mortgage offset fund £6.9k/£62.3k
    It turns out the answer to my problems wasn’t at the bottom of this tub of ice-cream, 🍨 but the important thing is that I tried...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure