We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Hello – hope you have room for another voice. First, I have a muscle attacking auto-immune disease and am on steroids (coming up to 6 years) and I take my hat off to you making it in to work in central London. You can’t avoid the steroid weight gain, and can’t push your muscles, and the whole thing is an utter [EMAIL="b@st@rd"]b@st@rd[/EMAIL].

Anyway..................a few years ago my brother was effectively in your position, with health issues, but had resigned, and booked a removal lorry and ferry tickets. This was about 9 months after putting his house on the market. It was a badly designed 70s box, smelling 50/50 of fags and dog, whose pee had stained the lawn a disgusting shade of yellow. When he started to panic I persuaded him to get the carpets cleaned, and sand/paint over the worst dog scratches.

The EA details said it was a short drive into the city. It wasn’t, but it was about ten minutes to the university and a huge hospital. It was also 2 minutes walk from an award winning nature reserve. None of this was mentioned. When a viewing was due, brother and dog decamped to the pub.

After being nagged senseless and adding details to the description he agreed to do some viewings himself. Number three was a nurse with a dog, who paid the (much reduced) asking price. She had seen the house listed months earlier, but had not spotted the location. Some buyers can be seriously dim. And most of them do now have incredibly high expectations.

Moving your flat would, I agree, be tricky, but could you face showing people round yourself? You could be charmingly enthusiastic about the position, and paint a picture of unwinding in the garden with a beer on a summer evening.

You have had much more informed advice from people who know what they’re talking about – I really just wanted to say how much I admire your energy. I seem to have gone on a bit!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Wow! Thanks Wendy . Means a lot . I hope you and your brother have better things coming your way, and things improve for you both.

I could talk to the viewers face to face . I know it sounds crazy , but I don't think the estate agents have been too bad. Apart from the photos , the ad doesn't seem too bad imho. I just happened to make a decision at the wrong time. We all know what I have to do to the place. :)

I would probably be able to give a good account of the property.
    I don't think the estate agent has ( they may have ) told them why I'm selling, why the place is tired etc. I could tell them, and that may be a strong point . Then again , I'm paying them to do a job, if it sells.

I think they should've listed ' price reduced , as the pplace needs a little work.'
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Lucky for me, what I have is relatively mild ( mg).
    When I eventually get sorted, there should be no getting up at 5 am everyday . My eye tires around 8pm , and speech can be a little slurry if having a beer. Trouble is, people can mist rue that for drinking lots and being drunk.;)
    Getting out of bed later, should stop that in theory.

This time last year, I was talking like Ozzy ,and my left eye was closing a lot .
    Not as bad now . Fingers crossed :)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ozzy, your plant-hacking neighbour or the actual Ozzy? Why would you suddenly turn into a Brummie? This could be a new medical condition altogether, AC! Sorry if the desperate attempt to make you smile fell flat.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I forgot one key point in my assessment of living today.
    I could be totally wrong, but I'll say it anyway :)

We all know how, our parents/ grandparents etc. Suffered. They didn't have the luxuries we have. They fought wars etc.

However, everyone who is born , will get something or other in each different generation.
    What we now have, is too many people born . We have no room anymore .
    We have greed , where everything is undercut for the cheapest salary and pressure to do so much in time and motion . Sports direct etc.

This is why there are more immune conditions happening on an expanding level. Psoriasis , for example is way more common now. The research has increased a lot , and doctors know more about how to treat it.
    I won't go on , but if you are easy going,and willing it's not enough these days . People take advantage. You have to be as blunt as others to survive , it seems .

Yoga and Pilates , are mentioned more these days for good reason.
    It's good to step back sometimes ..
    Now I'm rambling on .. ;)
  • Smodlet
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Another sensible person to listen to AC ;).

In other news, I have just paid off my mortgage :D.

CONGRATS, GG!!!!! You can have a badge, now, and everything, innit? AC started it! :beer::j:p:D:cool:;):bdaycake::laugh:_party_
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2016 at 6:15PM
    Options
    Builders will buy your house for you to buy on a new development. For example this came up on quick search, I don't know where it is, but here you go . http://www.bellway.co.uk/new-homes/wessex/cornelia-gardens . Aren't the management company responsible for maintaining or at least organising maintenance of communal things like fascias?
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    CONGRATS, GG!!!!! You can have a badge, now, and everything, innit? AC started it! :beer::j:p:D:cool:;):bdaycake::laugh:_party_

I were, like, proper made up babes :D.
    Builders will buy your house for you to buy on a new development. For example this came up on quick search, I don't know where it is, but here you go . http://www.bellway.co.uk/new-homes/wessex/cornelia-gardens . Aren't the management company responsible for maintaining or at least organising maintenance of communal things like fascias?
    AC's looking for a much cheaper property so don't think this would be an option.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Check you out, GG. Well done, babes, seriously, that's like totes amazeballs, innit, sorta?

I mean it. Good for you!
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't think you'll find a New House Builder that will take a p/ex so far away from where they're building, and if they did they would be looking at AC trading up substantially probably max p/ex 60% of their price.
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    Never done it, so was unsure on the mechanics, just suddenly remembered a friend that had done it and wondered if it would solve his problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport