We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi AC,

I do lurk on here and sometimes want to post but everyone else writes better advice than I could give with my lack of knowledge, so I stay quiet. I currently have a house up for sale that is not selling, but I won't bore you with that too much as I am in no rush to sell. All I'll say is that in my research for my property in my location, I don't think anyone is interested in a do-upper at a slightly better price and so I'm slowly getting works done. Thank goodness for a certain online trader site with reviews!!!! I'm going to take mine off the market for a month to really push some decorating and have it put back on in September when the market picks up so it looks newly listed too. New photos of course! So THANK YOU to LL in particular and everyone else that have posted on here which has given me food for thought and made me seriously up my game for my potential sale. Although I don't care when I sell, I'm getting bored of pointless (my fault) viewings and feeling like my house is no longer mine (which it isn't thanks to the explanation of LL).

MT
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks muffin .
    I may do what you're doing . I'm not very good with maths , but I would say there's less than 20 weeks left of this year .
    It's a quiet time at the moment to be selling, so I expect nothing till next spring.
    I may get a call from reach financial services next month.
    I was trying for a remortgage, wth the view of borrowing an additional amount to tide me over. Unfortunately , 'affordability ' came into it , and the answer was ' no!'
    Annoying , wth so much equity.
    If I am approached, I will ask for a smallish loan and then I could do some jobs to the flat . We will see .
    As you rightly say , people don't seem to want to do 'work', despite the estate agents telling us otherwise .
    Good luck on your sale
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am very glad to hear that, AC. Good on you!

Pleased to make your acquaintance, Muffintops. :hello: Your post seems pretty sound to me and why should your opinions be worth any less than anyone else's?
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    My EA's do the same as you. House valued at £340-£360K, but advised to put it up for £325K to appear in more searches. Every viewer who was kind enough to give feedback stated they could get better decorated house for same price (£325K) not far away. Based on no offer with that feedback, then I can only assume no one wants to do any work. I get that though. Buying a property requires a huge deposit and then the buying fees etc, and who then has the money to pay for putting their syle to it immediately? They need some time to restore their savings and that waiting time needs to be spent in a nice blank canvas type of home. Most of my viewers are going from renting to buying so no equity to rely on either.

Sorry - I said I wouldn't bore you with my details and have managed to do just that! :D I just wanted you to know you're not alone with the things you've been told by EAs and the lack of genuine interest from buyers. I too think that these buyers see the pictures of our property online, think "ooh, let's have a look at that one" and then say "definitely don't want it based on ..... <things they can see in the pictures before even asking to view>" So I do viewings now on the basis that viewers have no idea what my place looks like before walking through the door. A blind house-date! ;)

We'll get there, but I won't be holding out until Spring. LL says there will be a September boost and I wholeheartedly believe her and am working around that information. I've put 2 job requests online so I'm waiting to hear back about those. I have one last viewing on Sunday and then it's coming off the market until early to mid September with new photos.

Thank you Smodlet. I just think that you all know so much about what you're talking about that I can only, at best, duplicate your wisdom. Also, being in the same place as AC, I feel that I can't put my money where my mouth is as I'm stuck too. But, I am following the advice given on here as best as I can, tweaked to my house and location, and so hopefully when it works for me then I can share that with you all.

Oh also AC, I think we work close to each other. I work near London Wall.

MT
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,732 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just caught up on this thread and sorry you still haven't sold your flat AC. I see you have reduced the price though which is good and maybe it is just that it is summer which is a notoriously bad time to sell. I agree with the others who have given good advice that dressing your property and making it as clutter free as poss will help. My daughter bought a 3 bed house from an elderly lady a couple of years ago up in Warwickshire in a lovely area at a good price because the decor was dated, it needed rewiring and a lot of people could not see past that. Fast forward 2 years and it is a lovely house now with new electrics, fireplace and redecorated. Kitchen and bathroom luckily not too bad. You will be aiming though at either investors or someone needing a fixer upper at a cheap price or someone with same taste as you who does not mind a flat rather than a house.

Also I do think your health problems could be improved by watching your diet. Sugar is the very worst for making you feel tired and lethargic because your blood sugar goes up and down all the time. Look into making fruit smoothies to get your sweet tooth fix and lots of protein - meat, eggs, dairy, fish. If you exercise then pasta and baked potatoes are really good with grated cheese or prawns, ham etc . I love veggie soups too with granary bread. No need to just stick to salads.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks muffin :)
    I think we're not the only ones in this position . Everything you just said , is spot on.
    Sept , not far away either . Good luck on that :)

I am sorry to hear that you work in London wall :) I think you understand where I'm coming from :)
    Do you live in London ? I'm a little intrigued now ;)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Also I do think your health problems could be improved by watching your diet. Sugar is the very worst for making you feel tired and lethargic because your blood sugar goes up and down all the time. Look into making fruit smoothies to get your sweet tooth fix and lots of protein - meat, eggs, dairy, fish. If you exercise then pasta and baked potatoes are really good with grated cheese or prawns, ham etc . I love veggie soups too with granary bread. No need to just stick to salads.
    Another sensible person to listen to AC ;).

In other news, I have just paid off my mortgage :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • another_casualty
    Options
    My flat looks bigger than ever now . The second bedroom , is a little more cluttered , but the flat is slowly improving .

We'll leave the diet for now . I know what to do , and when I'm ready will do it ( no offence enthusiastic ;))
    I aim to lose 64 lbs ( not £'s) next year . Everything bad , bar greenl& blacks , will be eliminated . Not too quickly of course . Moderation blah blah
    Blah ..,
    Now back to selling
  • another_casualty
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Another sensible person to listen to AC ;).

In other news, I have just paid off my mortgage :D.

Omg , it's mumsnet time again . I no rissen( benny hill) . I don't care.,)
    Congrats on the mortgage tho':)
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    Thanks muffin :)
    I think we're not the only ones in this position . Everything you just said , is spot on.
    Sept , not far away either . Good luck on that :)

I am sorry to hear that you work in London wall :) I think you understand where I'm coming from :)
    Do you live in London ? I'm a little intrigued now ;)

I live in Essex, just outside the London section. Fortunately my accent doesn't come through on forums!!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport