Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    Has your solicitor founds out what the issue is?
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Buying and selling leasehold property always takes a while as there are a few more searches to do and the property management companies sometimes hold things up. If you received your offer in August and it is only October now that is not bad. Even a fast sale takes 6 weeks minimum usually.

If I were you I would take this time to focus on being organised so when things do start happening you can go straight into action and not panic.

Packing a box a day,
    getting 2 or 3 removal quotes,
    sorting out post redirection,
    letter of notice to your employers and have letters ready to send to utility providers and
    of course keeping an eye out for rental property in Poole.

It might also be worthwhile ringing up a few agents down there and asking what you will need to do initially - ie how much finance will you need to get your hands on to secure a rental property.

I am sure that it will not be too long now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Totes to all the last few posts. AC, even auction properties, where you buy them then and there, in the space of minutes rather than months, take 28 days absolute minimum to complete. Often they take 28 days + 28 days... maybe LL can explain that bit as I have never bought either an auction property, nor sold a leasehold one. I am just going on the blurb on RM where it states, "... the buyer will then have 28 days (for something or other, exchange?) + another 28 days to complete."

Of the last three moves we have done (I can't remember the first one when I was all of 20 years old and single) I don't think it has ever taken less than four-and-a-half to five months from offer to completion. Stress away if you want, none of us can stop you... or you could just chill, while actually getting ready to move.

It is all your choice, as I have said a gatrillion times, now, whatever LL says. If you decide to forget it all and stay put, that is up to you... Or, you could leave it all to the last minute, find yourself with nowhere to go and rock up on LL's doorstep, Pilates machine in hand, wearing nothing but a winning smile, if you wanted... seriously don't recommend the last bit, not oop 'ere where it's grim, you'd freeze. :D:D:D
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Its not grim at all, it's fab. It's been glorious sunshine these last few days, not even got the heating on yet. And I like it hot.:rotfl:

Of course you can drop out AC if you so wish, right up until the moment of exchange, but I doubt that's what you really want. You've come so far on your journey, you're nearly there. Of course you are anxious and want things to speed up.

As others have said though it really hasn't been that long since August, but I'm sure it feels like an eternity to you. You must feel that your life is on hold.

I haven't bought a leasehold property myself but yes they do take longer than a freehold, theres more work for the solicitor.

I've not bought at auction either, but yes it's normally a maximum 28 days to exchange and then a further 28 days to complete but you don't have to wait the full 28 days until completion. And if course you do have to pay your deposit on the day of the auction, non refundable.

Well I'm in agony. I've pulled a muscle in my thigh - don't ask and I can hardly weight bear. I've just had out to pull out of a theatre engagement tonight. I'll reimburse my friends for the ticket of course but I could tell they were a bit exasperated with me.

Problem is I simply have to take my dad to the hospital tomorrow - no one else is available so I have to able to at least shuffle round for that. So I must rest it. Thank goodness my car is an automatic, no gear changes with my gammy leg. The hospital has one of those little "trains" that travels around the miles of corridors so I should manage ok.

Such a nuisance though.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    I can imagine only that Derbyshire must be in a different climate zone... we have had the heating on for the last month and thought we were being tough (soft southerners) And it is grim, imo. Everything is relative and subjective, so there... And here ain't there.

I am sorry you have injured your leg, LL... hope he was worth it <flees>

Please put some ice on it and keep it elevated. I am sure, if they are really your friends, they will understand.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 26 October 2016 at 7:08PM
    Options
    It's a funny little house ........it really seems to retain the heat. Mind we did put plenty of extra Insulation in when we were renovating and extras such as nice thick underlay under the carpets, thermal blinds and curtains.

Passive solar gains means that the south facing rooms get really warm. We have something called Tado which monitors temps etc. The sitting room drops chilly around 5 pm - when the sun goes down - so I override tado for a quick 30 minute blast and close the curtains and it's been enough so far.

We also installed a new boiler and I think that has helped. Anyway the house is very cosy considering it's a Victorian terrace with high ceilings and the bills arent too scary. Outside temps have been in the mid to high teens for several days now and apparently are to continue into next week.

All good news for the winter bills.:rotfl:

Ps the previous owners blocked the fireplaces and chimneys and it would have cost a small fortune to reinstate them, so as a compromise, we made modern hole in the wall fake fireplaces, and I bought a bioethanol fire for the sitting rom. .We havent used it yet since last winter but it's great when it's really cold. It's lovely to look at real flames and it throws out plenty of heat. Not the cheapest form of fuel of course but nice in the depths of winter.

The one mistake I did make was not to put underfloor heating in the bathroom and kitchen so the tiled floors do get a bit chilly underfoot. I'll note that For next time.

And of course I also use candles and sofa throws, extra rugs on floors etc - they all add to winter cosiness or "Hygge" - as they say in the Scandinavian countries.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Just watching grand designs.....loving this one. It's in Wales, part of the Lammas project.

The couple are self building and have just £500 in the bank. Very interesting.
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    LL - lowering the tone again........

I don't think anything from Private Eye is available online, but if you know anyone who gets it there was a send-up of hygge a month or so ago that made me laugh out loud in the haematology dept. Got me properly glared at.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Mid to high teens, eh? Totally tropical. Low teens here though it is supposed to manage 15oC tomorrow.

A quick, half-hour blast constitutes putting the heating on, imho.

Wendym, I love how you blame LL for my latest tone-lowering enterprise. :D
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    I tell my son a 30 minute blast doesn't count......:rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family