Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning AC, all.

AC, while I sympathise a great deal with your feelings, the fact remains that your buyers are under no obligation to go ahead with this sale until contracts are exchanged. Phrases like "dragging their heels" are not, I think, helpful. They may be having second thoughts. They may fail to see why they should pay for fascias to be replaced when, in their minds, they are already paying top dollar. They may well be waiting to see what the cost of this repair actually is. FTBs seldom have any money to spare and have often saved every penny for years just to afford a deposit. They may be willing but unable to contribute to this cost.

However difficult it is, it is probably best just to try and be patient. You have no control over your buyers' actions so you may as well stop stressing; it never accomplishes anything.

I do not mean to sound insensitive to your feelings but perhaps a little empathy for your buyers might alleviate your frustration, just a tiny bit, maybe???

If it is meant to be, it will be and will happen when it happens. Your solicitor should be finding out what the delay is instead of throwing out random phrases. The buyers may be waiting for information about the fascias/something else from him. They could be expecting you or him to provide costing. They cannot deal with the management company, after all, they don't live there yet. Just a thought... and I am on your side, I hope you know.

S x
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Hi ac I haven't posted on this thread yet, but I have been lurking and following your situation. I just wanted to say I am a serial mover (well I was I've stayed in one place for the last 4 years now) and my other half got me in the habit of doing 1/2 hr packing/cleaning each day in preparation of moves. Definitely makes things a lot easier and we got to the point where the night before everything would be packed and it was just a matter of moving boxes on day of move. Often after 1/2 hr you are motivated to do more but if 1/2 hr is all you can manage it's better than nothing.

Also we would never move things that would ultimately be binned so as we were packing there would be a bin pile to be dropped at c/s tip as we went about our daily life.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone moving
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Often after 1/2 hr you are motivated to do more but if 1/2 hr is all you can manage it's better than nothing.

Also we would never move things that would ultimately be binned so as we were packing there would be a bin pile to be dropped at c/s tip as we went about our daily life.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone moving

Wish I'd read this last year. I can't believe how much rubbish I'd managed to accumulate in a one bed flat....It's more or less cured me of my hoarding tendencies...you know, where you keep a piece of wire 'just in case' or in my case, bits of wood....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    It's more or less cured me of my hoarding tendencies...you know, where you keep a piece of wire 'just in case' or in my case, bits of wood....

Always comes in handy wood............oops !!!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't!! There is a standing joke bewteen myself and the OH. I got a piece of wood out of a skip about 10 years ago, it's a lovely plank of wood, rustic looking heavy old piece, totally solid, will be really good for a shelf. I've never had somehere to put it yet, but it is going to be used in this house somewhere.....
    He thinks it's my pet.....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    -taff you sound just like my DH! In the street one day he stooped and picked up one of those straps that you get in a sports bag - it was still bundled together and never been used. "What a lovely strap" he said, "that will come in handy". He then stuck it in a drawer - a year later I threw it out as he had obviously forgotten all about it. But if I had challenged him a year later and asked if I could throw it out he would have said NO.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

We have two extra people in our household.......Justin and Andy

As in Just In Case and "That will come in handy (Handy Andy)"

And don't get me started on "good wood".... :rotfl:

One year I bit the bullet and cleared the loft - well I say cleared, there was still a good fifty per cent left when I'd finsihsed. I raised £1200 just from my husband's junk, sorry "treasures".;)

I could never be a true minimalist like The folk who have managed to pare their lives down to just 200 possessions. I own more items of clothing than that......:rotfl: but I do try and keep on top of clutter. I still have too many books, DVDs and CDs and I will cull them again - one day.

Mañana, maybe.;)
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Well , how long should I wait ?
    If nothing happens by the end of Nov , then surely one or both of us pull out.
    At least my solicitor will have all the info , good to go for the next potential buyers
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh dear AC.

Are we having an attack of the "Negative Nellies" again.

What makes you suddenly think they are going to pull out. The "i's" have to be dotted and the "t's" have to be crossed. It really is that simple.

No solicitor worth his or her salt will ever allow their clients to exchange contracts until every last minor detail has been ironed out. It would be a gross dereliction of duty.

As for you pulling out......DONT YOU DARE!!!!!! :rotfl:

Ring your solicitor, find out what's cracking off. Probably nothing.

How long do you wait.........you wait until it happens - end of story.

The ball is not in your court.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Yes LL :)
    My solicitor says ,it's all down to the buyers. Naturally I'm being patient
    ( but understandably edgy).
    Normally to buy & sell takes roughly 12 weeks . ?
    This is sale only , been going since August .
    I'll go back in my box for now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport