Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks again LL :)
    I may have to go to the docs tomorrow / Tuesday because of my,foot.
    All the doctors are great in my surgery .
    However, one of the doctors I saw last year know someone who has m g ,and she was fantastic the last time I saw her. Very understanding.
    Maybe I should book appointment to see her??
    Been at the current place of employment 9 years on and off

My Geordie friend is from South Shields . Two people I saw lived tent for a Couple of years, and loved it.
    In one aspect, it is way too far . In another , I wouldn't have to worry about dmp settlement .
    South Shields does have a lot of people on benefits/ lack of jobs etc.
    Colder weather which I prefer.

I don't know ..
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You don't need to make any decisions today.

See you favourite doctor - maybe book a double appt so you can have a good chat. Just concentrate on your sale for now. That's enough to be going on with.

Do you get paid if you are off sick. Maybe a few quiet days to yourself to rest and mull things over. You must be feeling drained and exhausted.
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely book an appointment with the sympathetic/well informed doctor, and take a day or two off.

Your muscles and brain need a break. Sorry about your foot.

And as lessonlearned said, you don't have to decide anything today.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello AC, LL, and everybody.

AC, please don't be scared, I know it's hard. What LL said, "for the night is dark and full of terrors"; everything seems harder at 3 a.m. than it does at 3 p.m... unless you work nights, and there is no excuse whatsoever for burning people at the stake, now, is there?

Seriously, you may prefer cooler weather but, when I lived in real Geordieland, not soft, southerly South Shields, for four years, I used to write my address as Newcastle upon Tyne, The Frozen North. Quite apart from the cooler temperatures, there are the hills... did I say hills? Olympic ski slopes, more like. When I lived in Gateshead, I swear you could work off the calories of fish and chips just going to the chip shop, we are talking 1:1.5, I mean it... of course, being from the Flat Lands, I could be exaggerating a little but not by much, that was 45 degrees from vertical, baby, no !!!!.

If you are prepared to look at areas other than Poole, the UK is your oyster, with the money you will have. You could go on Escape to the Country, if you wanted to. Along the same Way of Iron upon which lies the New Castle of the Frozen North, lie a whole load of other places where you could buy a three bedroom house in a really nice area, if you wanted to. Please, AC, try to channel some of that noradrenaline into excitement, adrenaline, much better to fight rather than fly, dontcha think?

I am excited for you. You can do this. LL is absolutely correct when she says there is no substitute for a soul mate but, you have no-one to consider but yourself. I feel very tempted to look for properties in what I know are nice areas just to give you an idea of what you might be able to buy if location were not paramount.

You can choose. That in itself is frightening but also liberating, if you allow it to be. This could be the start of an adventure few ever get to embark on. The only thing you need to do is what is right for you, AC.

HTH. S xxx
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    AC, as regards the North East I would be inclined more to County Durham than Tyneside or the Shields. There are many towns and coastal areas that are really very nice (and some not so), many have rail links to Darlington where excellent connections exist to all the major cities in England and Scotland. Your budget would buy you a very nice property with plenty left over. Obviously though any such decision would have to be taken in light of job opportunities, which may be less plentiful than on the South Coast.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Another one that can second County Durham.

Is it still called Northumberland a bit further north.. I can never keep up with all the name changes.

Anyway I'm talking, Bamborough, Alnwick, Berwick, Durham, Hadrians Wall, Lindisfarne.. Took OH there for a few days in 2006 when he was still ok to travel. Stunning up there. Miles of beautiful beaches. Didn't venture into the sea though......:rotfl:

Further down there's Yorkshire, beautiful. York itself is fab. Lincolnshires on my doorstep. Flat as a pancake but some lovely market towns and villages. . The one area I don't really know is Norfolk, but I am told it's nice too.

Then you have got the lovely west.......Dorset, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall. I have also lived in Gloucestershire, again gorgeous.

I have friends dotted around the uk and it's all so lovely. I have travelled fairly extensively around the world, lived in Spain and I still think our lovely island knocks spots off them all. I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.

Even the "grim north" has areas of outstanding nAtural beauty, stunning coastlines, cute villages, prosperous market towns and vibrant cities.

The U.K. Is like a giant smorgasbord of delicacies.......it's hard to chose which morsel is best. :rotfl:

Like Smodlet says .......you will have total absolute freedom, complete liberation from the chains that currently bind you.

As Del Boy would say "the worlds your lobster".

Just take your time and then you will be ready to make that leap of faith.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2016 at 6:36PM
    Options
    If you are thinking about moving up North, I can second that your money will go much further up here. It depends what you are after. I am in love with York a the moment ( although prices there
    aren't quite so reasonable) as my DD is going to Uni there, what a beautiful, history steeped, city - have visited a number of times in the past, but lovely place.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lindisfarne, LL? Somehow, I can't envisage AC stuck on an island three-quarters of the time, though give Poole a few decades, what with global warming, and all...
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Lindisfarne for visits, not to live on. Lol.

Although TBH I sometimes think a small island in the outer Hebrides would be utter bliss. :D

That's the problem with some of the low lying areas isn't it. Apparently even parts of London aren't immune from the threat of tidal ingress.
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    I'll leave you in peace after this thought.

I think I remember that your original reason for choosing Poole was having a friend there.

I do think that knowing one person in your new town should be fairly high on your list. Plans to get to know new people by joining evening classes etc are ok in theory, but need energy.

So although it's not cheap, perhaps you stick with your first plan.

Hope you get a reasonable night's sleep.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure